1. Thread posting restricted: Only the BeamNG team members can post new threads in this sub-forum in order to prevent spam. Posting is available on unlocked threads.

Micro Blog(s) - May 2015 to July 2015

Discussion in 'Microblogs' started by tdev, May 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toron Beldevar

Toron Beldevar
    Expand Collapse

I wish I could have a cup of coffee while coding at five o'clock in the morning. Great to see the promised racing system, too.

2. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

You guys are crazy. This game has made more (publicly visible) progress in the last 3 months I think since launch. I honestly wasn't expecting a full racing system and window reflections anytime soon.

3. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Before there was lots of work in the background :)

Also, the video finally finished converting:
    Video - Click to Play - Direct Link

• Like Like x 1
  4. Godzilla!

Godzilla!
    Expand Collapse

I like the message it gave during countdown.
    "...9, You drive like crap, 4, 3, 2..."

5. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

Looks nice, I'm pleasantly surprised to see how quickly the race system came to fruition.

About my only concern is that perhaps the effects and overlays may be a bit too much. The goal-waypoints seem a bit flashy, as do the large checkpoint counters (doubly so if this is a non-scalable effect being demonstrated in fullscreen). I'm a bit of a minimalist, so the former may just be me, but I'd advise making the checkpoint counts transparent, smaller, and/or moved off into one of the corners.

Also, has the game data hashing system made any advancements? Just wondering when we might see a leaderboard.

Edit, below:

I don't know how the actual selection process will go, but if you're worried about the barriers, those are just prefabs. Hutch made a blog post on it quite some time ago:Race-system-overview

#45 Occam's Razer, May 17, 2015
    Last edited: May 17, 2015
  6. SoHigh00

SoHigh00
    Expand Collapse

So how will this work? Will we have to choose between freeroam and for example "race 1"/"race 2" in the map selector? Or somehow via F11? Eitherway I am really excited for this! :)

7. Dc5R

Dc5R
    Expand Collapse

Of course ! The devs mentioned that they will implement races and demo derbies and stuff while you can just roam around .

8. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

My 3rd attempt at this, crashed the first two. :)

Video - Click to Play - Direct Link

#48 DrowsySam, May 17, 2015
    Last edited: May 17, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  9. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

And this is where I'd make a comment about the video.

If it was on YouTube and not the player that half the time won't even play for me!

Not having seen the race system blog post, I'd previously had the idea of using separate maps based on the freeroam map, with temporary startlines/grandstands/pit garages where possible/barriers added in to hold the route. To keep it organized, they'd be named after the base map. So you'd have Dry Rock Island, and then you'd have "Dry Rock Island: Central Circuit", "Dry Rock Island: Periphery Circuit", "Dry Rock Island: Station/Pass Circuit" (i.e. the generic DRI loop sometimes seen on YT, where you go SE from the starting point, follow that road around, through the middle of the residential section, until the junction, go left, and continue back to the station), "Dry Rock Island: Warehouse Circuit" etc. Not a pretty solution, but would hold until a time trial/race update comes into play.

10. Stian Aarskaug

Stian Aarskaug
    Expand Collapse

Please say you're gonna keep the rude UI as a (hidden) feature! :cool:

11. Atomix

Atomix
    Expand Collapse

Please please please tell me that with the sound system overhaul you have been talking about. the vehicles will have supported separate engine sounds. I play the game nosound all the time because the basic sounds get quite unpleasant after time.

Awesome rading system too. Is the races gonna be separately selected from the menu, or is there gonna be a option to turn the race on a selected track on after you load the map?

12. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Also, how deep will the sound setup go? Will it be possible to set up different sounds for different engine/exhaust mod setups (i.e. a different sound for a sportier exhaust, still another for combining actual engine tuning with that exhaust, etc.)

Also, will it be possible to add our own checkpoints, prefabs, and routes?

13. Erik.s

Erik.s
    Expand Collapse

I see you have a temp gauge in the tach, are you going to make engine damage with overheating and if you crash and damage the radiator, will the temps go up?
    Also, are you planning a system that when a turbo cars intercooler gets damaged, the torque curve changes?

14. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

So many questions :eek:

Sound work will just be for this current placeholder for the time being. Proper ones will come in a much later moment probably. (just trying to improve the current one to be a little more enjoyable by adding the most gorgeous sounds, like the tab says, the dirt sound and some other stuff to improve the presentation)

The race/activities thing work by selecting them in a separate menu, for now.

Advanced engine damage not yet.

#54 Nadeox1, May 17, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Any news on the tire model? The more video I see of the new tire model at work the more I want to ask regarding wear, heat/cold,
    environmental damage, inner liners etc. Race features lookin' good.:cool:

16. crimsonskull

crimsonskull
    Expand Collapse

might i ask, but why are the trees in the background so high res?

17. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Tire physics development is a little on pause while the programmers focus on UI, ai, races, etc.

Some things I have been working on since the latest tire improvements:

-Ground model changes which make use of the advanced fluid drag (like mud and sand do) to accurately reproduce loose dirt and gravel. Off road behavior is equally important to me, but asphalt is a good place to start because there is more science out there to reference.

-The new tires are very sensitive to suspension and steering geometry (as they should be), so I have been in the wheelwells of every vehicle lately getting them feeling balanced and behaving well. This takes a ton of experimentation, and so much driving around skidpads and bump strips that my wheel already feels close to death :p

• Like Like x 1
  18. Stian Aarskaug

Stian Aarskaug
    Expand Collapse

Because we do love high-res stuff! And it will make it possible to make shots from above look good (video rec etc.). They'll probably turn pretty low-res if you tweak the grapics settings a little.

19. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

My main request is because I see how the grapics settings are written, and that countdown. Please keep the game informal. Too many simulators take everything seriously and it would be nice to have a lighthearted emotionally abusive GUI to just give this game some character.

20. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

Amen Brother!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice