Mini Games

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by luke198, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

That game was fun, but I don't think it's possible. A lot of AI work and I don't think realtime generated terrain is possible, also the physics, either useless(cars in that game just fly out and not crash) or laggy and bad(a lot of cars and AI won't do well with crashed cars)

2. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

You like it but you don't think its possible? I don't know if you noticed while you where playing it... but it exists. The AI is simple enough that even I could do it. It follows a path and seems to have a ramming behavior for interacting with other cars. the only issue is it doesn't know how to slow down and I wouldn't know how to tell it to slow down. As for generating the road? Once again, its simple as far as I can work out. I'd be generating tiles but I'm sure something clever is going on with splines. As for laggy? Gabester claims we can handle about 3-5 cars right now. If we offload alot of physics to the GPU (which is a million times better at physics than the CPU) then we could probably handle a few more cars. Either way, we should have something going on.

3. luke198

luke198
    Expand Collapse

I like it! Perhaps a wider road so that the cars don't explode so quickly?

4. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

Just to let you know: I was saying it might not be possible in BeamNG. I really don't think realtime generated terrain is possible with the CURRENT engine, as for if it's going to be implemented or not, I don't know. It looks like it's just one terrain/map loaded up like in RoR and no other options. Changing my mind on the AI though, it would be really easy to do, I thought you couldn't control the cars, but you actually can. As for the cars though, I was thinking with about 12, so it would be possible right now, I guess.
    To tell it to slow down, I'm quite sure there would be something for speed and if it's off the road, it would slow down and on the road speed up.
    Its entirely possible to some degree IF the realtime terrain is possible.

5. oophus

oophus
    Expand Collapse

Could be nice for multiplayer as well. 1 guy control the camera, or the layout of the road. And then have 10 or so players fight for the right to get the furthest and win. ^^
    A game cycle would last 11 games, so everyone would have to be the guy making the road.

6. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

You would have to make the engine work out how fast it could take the corner and then figure out how long it would take to slow down and build a racing line in advance of the vehicle reaching it.
    I guess you could build a treadmill for the cars to go on using an n/b and use hydros to move it at certain points to give a similar effect.

#86 aljowen, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  7. ThingThing62

ThingThing62
    Expand Collapse

+1
    Definitely a good idea, I want to try being one of the drivers mainly though!

8. luke198

luke198
    Expand Collapse

+1 from me. Great Idea!

9. D0ntstare

D0ntstare
    Expand Collapse

I absolutely love the idea of this, Looking at what Hati said, I doubt it would be hard for some wiz on Lua to be able to script in a procedurally generated terrain using the means of splines. It would be awesome to play with this, both as the driver and the road creator, definitely one for the devs to look into toying with when they get a bit of spare time. (If that so happens to occur) or simply out of sheer amounts of fun to be had :p

10. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure you need to generate a terrain to do this. you could just generate a flat model with a road texture that conforms to a spline that follows a camera. If you keep the camera stationary and move the road backwards, it should be fine. It sounds simple until you get to programming it. I'm sure its possible with lua, you're just making a treadmill simulation.

#90 Hati, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  11. CarFanatic

CarFanatic
    Expand Collapse

I know this is sort of a bump, but how about something like basketball? There's a ball at the top of the ramp, and you drive the car up the ramp and try to get it in the basket, which could be something like a trailer or something. And as you progress, the target gets further away. You have a certain amount of chances, lets say 5, so once you've missed five times you're out. The winner is whoever can get the furthest. Good or bad? :confused:

12. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I like that. Your car has to be fast enough to get the ball in the basket, but the front square enough to hit the ball. +1 support

13. CarFanatic

CarFanatic
    Expand Collapse

Also, entry speed would play a big part. Too fast, ball goes too far, too slow, ball's going to fall short. And as well, you could have the target at different angles to the ramp, so its not just getting further away. For example; having the target a little to the right or left of the ramp. Nothing too extreme, as it would be good to see how people judge a small movement. I think a fair bit of skill could be involved in this :p

#93 CarFanatic, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  14. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

I'd rather just see Top Gear Car Football than basketball... Basketball just seems impossible to me, while car football just seems awesome, doing it in Covets :)

EDIT: Yeah, car rugby too... :)

#94 Mythbuster, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  15. CarFanatic

CarFanatic
    Expand Collapse

I've just come up with another mini-game. Do any of you remember the game split second velocity? It had an airstrike mode, where you had to dodge missiles from a helicopter. Not sure if it would be possible for BeamNG, but if it was it would be pretty cool. I had a blast *no pun intended* playing it :D

16. .Alpha

.Alpha
    Expand Collapse

Car rugby is better than football, just saying.

17. CarFanatic

CarFanatic
    Expand Collapse

Nah, I'm a football man myself. Although, both are epic :D

18. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Just to be sure, are we talking about the U.S. definition or the European definition of football.

19. .Alpha

.Alpha
    Expand Collapse

I was talking about European definition.

20. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

Top gear style football with ibishu covets... I love that idea.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice