Solved Modeling Door Handles

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by aljowen, Aug 14, 2017.

1. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

How do you make door handles without screwing up smooth shading?

blenderHandle.png 20170814152407_1.jpg
    As you can see in the above images, when I create polygons that are completely flush with the polygon around them it creates issues with the smooth shading.

--- Post updated ---
    I have found that I can minimise the effect quite heavily to the point where it is almost non existent by reducing the amount that I am relying on smooth shading.
    blenderHandle2.png
    Adding in the line highlighted in red made the surface appear "flatter" to smooth shading and reduced the weirdness adding in the handle caused.

However if anyone knows of a better way to deal with this sort of thing, feel free to respond :)
    --- Post updated ---
    Reopened the issue because the result still doesn't look great
    20170814163641_1.jpg
    (Cause you can see the square polygons around the non square door handle)

2. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Easiest fix I can see for that is just add a little more geometry, 2 more loops for the bottom corners of the indent and a control loop towards the outer edge can give you a much better final look.

Something like this, just decrease the distance between geometry for a sharper look and vise versa.

When making the control loop you should just slide it out almost to line up with the outer edge, depending on how smooth you want it, then scale it in a little. It should almost line up in distance with the outer edge. Next add an edge split to the outer edge loop. That should look much smoother than just a sharp edge, while not causing problems with shading

This is how I usually do it with any cars I work on, depending on the distance and angle it will give a really nice appearance without using too many polygons.

In game it should look something like this (this has a more subtle edge but its still much better than totally sharp)

Hope this helps :)

• Like Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice