1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Modifying Vehicle Parts in Beamng for Mod *I have never made a mod*

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by magictgboy, Jun 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. magictgboy

magictgboy
    Expand Collapse

Can a mod developer explain to me the confusing code in the body.jbeam file of all the vehicles (for this lets use the 200BX as an example)? I am trying to make a parts mod, but don't know how to edit the stiffness/weight of all the parts such as the body, glass and doors. Can someone please give a tutorial on editing the "flexbodies" values in the .jbeam files? I think what I'm trying to edit is the "beamdeform" values. More info on what I need help with in the mod description/plan.

The mod I am making is going to give you the option to use more durable vehicle parts. The idea here is that most of the older vehicles in the vanilla game aren't that tough/safe, such as the covet, or 200BX (newer vehicles too in some cases). This is kind of inspired by the invincible Ibishu 200BX mod, but this mod provides the *option* in the parts or vehicle selector to use strengthened vehicle parts separately like just a stronger body, panels (hood, trunk, fenders etc), or doors. I want to make the glass of all the vehicles basically bullet proof, but not unbreakable. I also want them to be made of the same material as the windshield so that they don't shatter or fall out, just crack. What will be invincible is the suspension (not tires though), and I have realize how annoying it can get for steering to totally stop turning left or right because you went over a bump to fast :D, so it will be much harder to ruin the steering mechanism. But the suspension will be impossible to break.

Lastly, I went to the wiki and there wasn't a modding tutorial for modifying parts, I think there should definitely be an in-depth one for vanilla vehicle mods, PLEASE XD.

Thank you for the help,I really appreciate it!
    - magictgboy

2. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Look at the content creation thread group, tons of tutorials there. Including the one you're looking for.

3. CaptanW

CaptanW
    Expand Collapse

yes there is https://wiki.beamng.com/Content_Creation

4. magictgboy

magictgboy
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the help, i figured out the .jbeam files, with the use of a .jbeam editor. But I can't seem to get the engine.jbeam changes to stick, even though they are automatic (via reloading the vehicle) for body.jbeam files. The engine wiki page didn't really have an explanation for what was on the screen. thank you for sending me the link to your channel, i will check it out XD!

5. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

Are you editing the game files or did you make a 'mod' with new files?
    I would suggest using the latter with an unpacked folder

6. magictgboy

magictgboy
    Expand Collapse

I am editing game files using a mod that i got from the forum called BNE editor. I had to because i couldn't get the changes to stick at all when i would change it in notepad. I'm using the BNE editor to edit body.jbeam files and it works fine, but with any moving part type jbeam files it does nothing when i reload the vehicle. Before when i would edit the game files in notepad, it would do nothing, so i tried finding a different method.

How do i use the latter with an unpacked folder? What is the "latter"?

7. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

If you have the mod set up correctly, the file path to your edited jbeam files should look something like:
    documents/beamng.drive/mods/unpacked/(your mod folder's name)/vehicles/(pigeon,pickup,super, etc.)/

8. magictgboy

magictgboy
    Expand Collapse

I think my main concern right now is getting all the content going, like making engine fine tuning and differential fine tuning stick when i change it before I think about making it a mod. But i will keep that in mind for when i make it one, thank you.

So...every time I change let's say the torque, (where i usually add 200 or 400 to each number) for the engine.jbeam, I would go back to beamng and press reload on the vehicle. Then i would see no changes occur, except for the ones that i made on the body of the vehicle. I am also experiencing this problem with suspension, and differential jbeams. So what do I have to do to get the changes to take effect?

Thank you again for your quick support!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice