WIP Mountain Highway

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by Driv3r1142, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Spiicy

Spiicy
    Expand Collapse

this is offtopic, but you and @bob.blunderton write the longest responces ever

2. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

:p

Well we like to talk about our work when we've done it I guess ;)

3. Bzucko

Bzucko
    Expand Collapse

I think this map will be pleasure for car cruising :)
    I tested how many instances of one object forest tool is able to paint. It is around 10000..few more and editor crashes. So if you make two identical objects with same textures you can paint another 10000 object instances. I tested 16k instances of teapot(two identical objects) and it was working nice with collisions too.
    To save some memory you can backup few houndred lines from this file "level/map_name/forest/model_name.forest4.json" and start from scratch in different area of your map. In final release you simply merge all the lines together into one json file, or multiple files (one file for one instanced object). There was some file system changes in beamng 0.11, so hope they are the last and final.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

Idk if I will continue this, as for a similar concept was just released by another user;

https://www.beamng.com/threads/american-road.50374/

Give me some good reasons why I should continue the Mountain Highway, otherwise I see it as completely redundant.

#44 Driv3r1142, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. 440cid

440cid
    Expand Collapse

Because everybody's touch and idea for a project is different. I'd say you try that map first, if you see something good you can put into your map to make yours even better, why not? If it's really similar and as well made as yours, maybe you are free to abandon it.

Good luck for the project whatever the decision may be!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

Meh, I took a closer look. I have realism going for my map, so I guess I will continue it. His looks cool but it has extreme grades everywhere, whilst these are a bit more realistic.

I apologize for the drama, I had just woke up when I typed that :p And I also had to deal with some silly update BS from Microsoft (#Windows10Life.) In other words, early morning for me :p

• Like Like x 1
  7. Projekt535

Projekt535
    Expand Collapse

Haha, I had the same start to my morning, in the middle of an incident and working with our Chinese team and boom, reboot for updates. Thanks Win10...

Back on topic though, please do not give up on this map! even if they are similar, It appears from pictures to have enough variety to still be a welcome addition to the map selection. I need more twisty mountain roads in my life, even though they'll mostly appear similar to one another! I am still looking forward to giving this a shot. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

My Win.10 drama was actually trying to hold off Creator... I have auto updates disabled via disabling the update service, and have edited my registry to set my internet connection to metered. Now if I could figure out how to stop the Update Assistant begging me to install the Creator update for security updates, then I would be happy. Until then, I will need to watch and uninstall it each time it re-installs itself, and be quick with the task manager. And I can't leave my PC unattended if it's on since Windows likes to do things when the system is inactive.

I am scared that creator is going to brick my system completely after some reports I've heard from other users.

Also I wish now I had a Windows 10 pro license, and a SSD... I am getting some ridiculous loading lag, and I need things that are only available with Pro. But if I do that then I will be upped ino the creator update anyway... May as well do a fresh install and put it on when it's no longer bricking systems.

As for mountain roads, While they're similar, they're all different, and each one has its own character to it. Some might be worn out and filled with bumps and potholes. Others may be silky smooth and banked, making for some fun driving. You will get to experience those on this map. I am working on it on the side when I am taking a break on my other mods, or am waiting on someone to do something with them to assist in their development.

Today I am working on one last major road, a paved over old logging type road. From the spawn point up until the first major pass, none of the road is banked, and it's all extremely worn down and eroded in places. A trucking nightmare, though will lead to some interesting rally car fun.

The other half will be more modernized, with major corners being banked, and more road cuts.

After that's in place, I will be adding in the last details and minor roads, and will prepare it for a release.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Spiicy

Spiicy
    Expand Collapse

I got a 250 gb ssd for 70 bucks, and put windows 10 pro on it, and it speeds everything up even the stuff on the hard drive!
    nothing bricks, and the longest beamng loading time (the Tennessee map) was 4 minutes

10. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

Will look into it. I am running a crappy HDD from probably the late 2000s or early 2010s, with some obvious issues. Slow read/write speeds are part of the reason.

I honestly don't need more than 500GB or so of storage, I am only 1/2 full on a 500 GB or so drive

Enough off-topic, I will be doing my own research on this stuff :p

11. Spiicy

Spiicy
    Expand Collapse

s
    sorry for more offtopic, but it also speeds up EVERYTHING even slow programs on the second drive when you are using both, and both drives can be used. windows on the ssd and other programs you want to be fast, and everything else on the hdd and those are still fast

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

Alright, some weekend progress (Finally, I've been working on other mods too.)

For starters, I completed the longest continual road on the map. It's a 13 1/2 mile 2 lane highway that goes from the spawn point to the other 2 lane highway, the second longest road on the map. It's way to big to show in one screenshot, even the few here don't show it really well;

screenshot_01236.png screenshot_01237.png screenshot_01238.png

Round trip taking the 4 lane split highway, the old 2 lane highway, and the new 2 lane highway is 22 miles. I think this would justify a circuit for endurance racing, wouldn't it? :p

This new addition, which I made a post about awhile ago, is a combination of an old paved over logging/forest access road, and a more modern and wider 2 lane highway. Should be fun for point to point rally racing, especially in the older sections.

I also messed around with making proper tunnels for once, it turned out rather nice;

screenshot_01239.png

Along the new route there are 2 passes, that will be named after 2 very important map makers who are/have been part of our community, that without their influence and help, I would not be making content for BeamNG today.

The first one, at the crest between the old road and new road sections, will be named Pepper pass, in reference to @DoullPepper . If Canyon of Speed didn't exist, I wouldn't have had any inspiration, or even some of the assets, to make Foothill Mines, or start Beam Mountains.

screenshot_01241.png

The final one, will be named Ouerbacker pass, in reference to @Ouerbacker . His maps were a big influence on mine, and I have even taken on some of his techniques in my own maps. Without some of the assets he made for Beam Mountains, This map would not be the same at all. I will give a detailed credits list when I prepare this for release.

Normally there are not 2 passes on any particular road, as for a pass is the highest point on a road. However, there is significant elevation drop after Pepper pass, before the road comes back up to Ouerbacker pass, the highest point on this road, so I think it merits 2 passes.

I still have a ways to go with this map, so it won't be ready for awhile. With the Vendetta being my primary project, this gets worked on only on the weekends, if that. I also need to re-route a few roads, and add a few more in. This map is still very empty.

• Like Like x 3
  13. DoullPepper

DoullPepper
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Thanks a lot ;)! It's an honor for me to have my name to your road! The draw of the road seems very interesting and your landscape is pleasant to watch on screenshots... Good work!
    I can't wait to drive this mountain road..
    Also You can take some stuff of Altitude to complete your map, if you want, no problem! :p

• Like Like x 4
  14. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

On December 19th, 2017, my grandmother passed away, and that has wrecked my daily schedule. I'm now in the process of moving and finding a new home thanks to that, so time has been needless to say, quite limited.

Now that I've got a gaming laptop to do my BeamNG mod stuff on among other things (Main desktop is packed up,) I have resumed some work on the map somewhat... I probably won't be releasing it anytime soon, but I'll try to finish it before the end of the year.

I added an old logging road... I may add some other things such as a logging site off of another offshoot road, but we'll see.

screenshot_00064.png screenshot_00065.png screenshot_00066.png screenshot_00067.png

I made some changes to where the back roads intersect and some minor routing changes, along with adding another road that goes on down to the highway, effectively making one long continuous road through the entire map. I would picture it here but it's way to long to show properly. It goes from the start of the highway at the spawn point to the end of the highway at the other side of the map; It's long. I haven't had a chance to drive it in full yet, but I say its 20 miles or more of challenging winding roadways.

I'm going to be focusing on adding trails and other fun goodies in the background areas; Perfect for your T series logging runs, rallying, and even some offroad trails for offroad vehicles. I want the map to feel wide and open, whilst still packing as much as I can into the 8192x8192m heightmap I'm using here without making it feel cramped.

If anyone could also tell me what has changed since I started this map and now in terms of file structures and the filetypes and whatnot, that'd be appreciated. I look in the maps folder now and I only see a bunch of gibberish instead of the files I had become familiar with in older versions.

I'll try to keep you guys posted on this one. I will also be resuming work on a few other projects I'm working on for other people when I have the time, so I probably won't be posting much in terms of progress.

• Like Like x 12
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Jackets64

Jackets64
    Expand Collapse

Looks like a pretty cool map! Keep going! I hope my PC can run it!
    P.S. Sorry about your grandmother:(

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

My most sincere condolences buddy. It's hard to lose a family member, especially if you're under 25. I was 22 when my grandmother (mom's side) passed (in 2004), and she lived barely a mile away. I was about 28~29 when my other grandmother passed (father's side), and my father passed in 2011 in the summer when I was almost 30. That last one really messed me up, I wasn't right for 6 months to a year. Actually, I'm not 100% sure I've ever been quite the same since my father passed. I kinda closed up, walled off and got mean after that. I hope you find the strength to keep going, somehow someway. Hopefully there are some government programs and services to help make up for things if your family cannot.

On a much more positive note, I love your map environment. It looks like you've put much quality, time, and effort into the roadwork. I can PROMISE you with my word, people will love the winding roadway very much. My closest similar map to yours - Tail of the Dragon, was an extreme success in the popularity department and people over-all loved it, even if the amount of trees in it made it hard to run for some folks. So when you're far enough along with it, you'll get a lot of fanfare coming with it when it comes out.

I surely wish you the best in all you do bud. Try to be strong when/where you can!

--Cheers!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

If you would like a background terrain or something I can hook you up, I think you might like that better then using large jri rocks :)
    Also sorry about your grandma, I know it can be hard.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ripibishocovet

ripibishocovet
    Expand Collapse

So map is how much % done? im trying to make a heightmap map to but im trash at makeing the roads and or i put too much vegitation then i lose evrything so i hope this makes it

19. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

This isn't abandoned, I'm still working on it off and on. Many things have changed, so many that it I've forgotten it all... The biggest change is lighting, which you will see below here in a bit. More changes are being made, I'll try to keep up with them and post progress updates here every so often.

Right now I'm going through and redoing assets.

Ouerbacker's assets are pretty much garbage by todays standards, and most were all in .PNG formats, so I'm working on slowly phasing out all of his assets for my own assets, starting with the road textures;

Old
    screenshot_2019-01-08_02-00-19.png
    New

screenshot_2019-01-08_02-01-17.png

I'm working on making some variations of this texture, one with and one without the newer layer of pavement. The rest of the road textures are being worked on.

0.15 broke the East Coast USA town assets completely, so I'm going to replace them and the entire town with my own assets at some point. It's not worth trying to fix them honestly, they look quite trashy and I think I can do better...

If anyone has a tutorial on making proper forest/static objects, that would help out a bit with speeding up replacing the broken official assets.

When I'm done with the asset updates here, I'll be revisiting and updating Beam Mountains with the new assets I made, along with a road layout update.

Stay tuned ;)

• Like Like x 7
  20. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

I use this template: https://wiki.beamng.com/Exporting_static_objects
    and just make models :D
    Seems to be working just fine, maybe @Car_Killer can tell you more :)

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice