WIP Mt. Mare

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by The Gas Station, Nov 7, 2016.

1. The Gas Station

The Gas Station
    Expand Collapse

Mount Mare

Mt. Mare is my baby. I've been working on this 2048*2048 map since early August. Dozens of hours already went into this map, and dozens more will follow.
    It's a project, with the goal of creating a map as close as possible to the stock maps like ECA and Utah, in terms of replayability and content.

At 612 meters above sea level (228 meters above surrounding area), Mt. Mare is not that tall, but its' steep inclines and cliffs make it a very unique habitat, and, of course, a great place to drive around!
    screenshot_00172.png screenshot_00216.png

The main feature of Mt. Mare is it's Hill-climb course, stretching for just under 4 kilometers, containing 43 turns (16 of them are hairpins and/or 180 degree turns), over 3 stages and both dirt tracks, asphalt paths and closed public roads, this 213 meter climb is truely one of a kind.
    screenshot_00218.png

Here's a picture showing one of two very hard rock-crawling areas which I have built and tested. I love rock-crawling, so I made plenty of rock-crawling areas- from very easy ones to towering cliffs of doom like this.
    screenshot_00217.png

Here are a few pictures of the town (northeast town)
    screenshot_00211.png screenshot_00212.png

Top view of the dirt-track. Beamng mods section doesn't have yet any trophy trucks to race in, but it would soon have a proper track at least...
    screenshot_00245.png

Finally- the rally track! This short circular rally course is maintained by Grip-All as a test track for their products, and is open to the public on weekends (for 12 dollars humble fee). Go in and race your car around trees and through ponds in this demanding rally course.
    screenshot_00182.png screenshot_00173.png

Here's a map showing all main things in the map. Everything drawn is nearing completion in terms of layout (as you can see, the south area is not very detailed, and would probably stay empty for first release due to limited time on my end).
    Grey=paved roads, orange=dirt tracks, dotted orange=hard off-road tracks. Pink areas are buildings or towns. Brown-ish red- THE HILL CLIMB!
    map.jpg

Here's an estimated progress report (100% means good enough):
    Location Terrain Layout Detail
    Roads Northeast 100% 100% 50%
    Roads North 100% 100% 45%
    Roads Northwest 90% 80% 30%
    Roads West 80% 50% 10%
    Roads Center 90% 80% 30%
    Roads East 60% 40% 0%
    Roads Southeast 20% 0% 0%
    Roads South 70% 30% 0%
    Roads Southwest 70% 0% 0%

Hillclimb stage 1 100% 100% 35%
    Hillclimb stage 2 100% 90% 20%
    Hillclimb stage 3 100% 100% 80%

Dirtclimb 70% 60% 0%
    Rocky Road 100% 100% 35%

Town (Northeast) 100% 90% 60%
    Town (Center) 0% 0% 0%

Blastr Factory 100% 100% 80%
    Dirt Race Track 100% 100% 60%
    Rally Course 90% 100% 80%

FAQ:
    How close are you to release?
    My goal is to have all terrain 95% complete, all 1st alpha layout features 100% complete, and all detail at at least 40-50% complete, before first release. So I'll aim for late November First Alpha Version. However, I can't promise the map would be released at that date (or released at all, for that matter). I have a life outside of Beamng, and it keeps me very very busy. Even when/if I release this map's first version, features would surely be missing- probably even a few of the ones mentioned above. So take it easy, don't get hyped too much, and let me work at my own pace, show progress at me own pace, and release updates only when I feel like they are ready.

How can I help you?
    Right now, you can post feedback for the pictures and for some of the other things I mentioned. I'd be happy to hear your opinion! You can also offer help in any other map-related subject, I'm still pretty new to beamng map editor, and I'll be happy to hear every tip or trick you guys got.
    SPAMMING HYPE STUFF IS NOT HELPING.
    Telling me what you like and how I can make it even better, and what you're less excited about and want me to change, does help.

Is there a Mt. Mare In Real Life?
    I don't know. The location is fictional as far as I can tell.

What about scenarios?
    I have some real great scenarios planned, and maybe even a campaign. But I haven't even started working on them. First I want the map released.

Attached Files:

• screenshot_00168.png
    • Like Like x 20
  2. TheTraxxasManiacs

TheTraxxasManiacs
    Expand Collapse

I can't wait! How fps friendly is it to my specs on all low settings:
    laptop specs.png
    Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Looks like a good effort. I look forward to you getting enough of this done to start on the scenarios. ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  4. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

Looking nice! BeamNG does need some hill climb maps.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MuddyMan

MuddyMan
    Expand Collapse

I feel your pain brother

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. The Gas Station

The Gas Station
    Expand Collapse

I am keeping optimisation in mind (By the way, the tree models called "renderblock" do help with blocking rendering of stuff behind, right?).
    Once the map is released I'd love to get feeback about more fps-hostile areas and I'll try to improve them.

7. rick harrison

rick harrison
    Expand Collapse

SO HYPEDDDD XDDDDDDD ok jokes aside. Nice map. Keep up the good work

• Like Like x 1
  8. ford is awsome

ford is awsome
    Expand Collapse

cool map man when are you planning to release the download and could i be a beta tester

9. HDR

HDR
    Expand Collapse

Looks great, can't wait to see the finished product.

10. MuddyMan

MuddyMan
    Expand Collapse

Woah thank you for taking this into consideration

11. CarBro74

CarBro74
    Expand Collapse

Whoa. This looks great. Can't wait.

12. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

@synsol / @meywue - not sure who to ask about this, but I'm curious as well. What's the deal with those trees?

• Like Like x 2
  13. j2305432

j2305432
    Expand Collapse

Nice introduction of the map, from the screens it looks like it could easily be a stock map!

• Like Like x 1
  14. The Gas Station

The Gas Station
    Expand Collapse

Contacted Synsol. I'll post the answer here too if you're interested.

• Like Like x 1
  15. The Gas Station

The Gas Station
    Expand Collapse

Testing AI pathing... In a very entertaining way!

At least the AI works, something I would probably never be able to say again about my poor, poor Pessima...

• Like Like x 5
  16. meywue

meywue
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    BeamNG Team

Hey, sorry for the late reply.

Actually 'renderblock' is just a name for this object :D We just use this object as a wall of vegetation to 'block' the background.

There is no functionality or special logic like 'per pixel occlusion', so nothing special here!

Edit: And...ohhh.. of course looks awesome! Great work!

#16 meywue, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. The Gas Station

The Gas Station
    Expand Collapse

Well, here's some more pictures of new areas I built.

Town on bottom of the mountain, named "small town" on the map in the 1st post (work in progress, as sign says):
    screenshot_00228.png
    screenshot_00230.png
    Layout of the town:
    screenshot_00229.png

Natural areas, Beamng engine is very pretty (on pretty low settings as well!)
    screenshot_00231.png
    screenshot_00235.png
    ^ This valley is also a very tough rock climb (I had to reset multiple times, but it is possible)

I'll release the map soon (with a few scenarios), it won't be finished yet, but you'll be able to drive around the map and help me find errors, suggest ideas and help me improve the map.

• Like Like x 1
  18. The Gas Station

The Gas Station
    Expand Collapse

What's new?
    Well, the map is still almost there. After I thought I lost all files in a sudden electric shut-off, it turns out it was all in a back-up.

Now for the bad news. I am incredibly busy in real life stuff. I barely have time for anything. I am barely ever at home, even during weekends, and of course that means working on mods is at the bottom of my priority list right now. That's just how it is, I'm sorry.

However, this mod will not die! I plan to make the map open source, so you can submit edits to me and I'll integrate them. Due to the simplicity of map .mis and .forest files, (and scenario files, for all you scenario lovers), you can help make the map better!
    More information on that soon...

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. enjoyinorc6742

enjoyinorc6742
    Expand Collapse

How did I miss this? Better late than never. Would you be able to add a little monster truck course (side by side racing)

• Like Like x 1
  20. PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME

PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME
    Expand Collapse

This looks really neat! Can't wait!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice