Multiple materials files

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by SixSixSevenSeven, Jun 3, 2015.

1. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Battling god damn internet that is cutting out every sodding minute to write this but damn it.

We have multi-dae to streamline vehicle creation now. But when modding existing vehicles, it still has one shortcoming, new materials need adding to the existing materials.cs. Simple enough, your mod can simply overwrite materials.cs. But what happens when 2 mods overwrite materials.cs? Not alright. At least 1 mod is going to have missing materials. WHat happens when BeamNG updates? Well I know the sunburst engine into covet mod corrupts materials on the covet in the current update as the covet materials were changed, yet its still loading the mod ones instead.

I believe we are at the stage where ideally we need to be able to have more than 1 materials file per vehicle. Mods can then have a materials file with only the content relevant to that mod. You suffer less risk of content changing in each update and less risk of mods conflicting.

2. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

I was worrying about that whole aspect of doing my 4WD mod, besides getting the jbeam correct, the 4WD version will be its own mod since the original mesh for the chassis has been changed, thus it needs to be its own car...since I added in different parts etc, will it need to ALL be retextured and materials.cs updated etc? Thats the part that is irking me, I have not tried tackling any of it yet, I just want to get the model 100% before I attempt anything, just dont know how to begin with getting it all together and textured and in-game. but this is a great question, since I have seen plenty of mods "break" when being updated or adding new mods because there is a conflict in the main materials.cs file.

3. g0tsl33p14

g0tsl33p14
    Expand Collapse

The way I see what you say is, and this is me talking, unless someone puts in the time to re-work the operational structure of Torque3d, multi'ed materials would not be possible on Torque3d. Now I do not fully grasp each aspect of Torque, however since the start of joining this forum one common theme returns to me, BeamNG is a single thread dependent game, Intel dominated. Take that little information and I can imagine blowing it up into

"a Post-FX MOD is a dangerous idea because it causes people to use the core of tDev's game in a manner he cannot compensate for on his time scale," "materials will not render speedily, readily, or correctly through processing single threads as is dependent on a single material.cs" "the matr

Microsoft just called me and I lost my train of thought. If you really want me to pick to pieces with my ignorant knowledge and post count what is, can and could change, be wrong whatever, just do what you did before and I will respond again..l.k

#3 g0tsl33p14, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

What are you even saying? Are you just throwing in random words or what? Your sentence have no sense.
    BeamNG is not single-threaded. It's not Intel Dominated. Doing that doesn't require a massive change and it's doable.

Stop putting around false informations please.

5. g0tsl33p14

g0tsl33p14
    Expand Collapse

(1) false? Please explain to me why I only score 33.21 MBeam/s in a private message then please.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice