1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

My new desktop PC has decent specs, but my framerate seems to randomly drop on certain BeamNG maps

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by warhammer, Aug 10, 2018.

1. warhammer

warhammer
    Expand Collapse

Ok most times I get about 100+ FPS on the simple maps, and on the more complex maps maybe 50-60+ FPS.

I have:
    • i7 8700k (stock)
    • 16GB DDR4 2666mhz
    • SSD
    • EVGA GTX 960

It started noticing poor FPS on the rather simple SSRB map. As soon as I load the map, my frame rate is MAYBE 10 or 15. It is a very simple map and I thought that was strange. I then load another map, like the Utah map, which is much larger, and my FPS were back to normal. But if I load back the SSRB map, huge framerate drop. I thought this was strange since the SSRB is such a basic map, but I kind of disregarded it and decided not to play that map again.

About two weeks ago, I had downloaded the 'Crash Hard' map. This is a large, complex map. The first time I played on it, I got decent FPS, but not great. Probably 40-50 FPS and it ran fine.

Then a few days later, I load the same map to play it again, and I am getting the same performance as the SSRB map. The framerate has dropped to maybe 10-15 FPS. I had to exit out. I tried another map and my FPS is back to normal. It's easy to just assume its an issue with the map(s) itself, but what is strange is this map was working fine just a few days ago.

Also I checked my temps in speccy, all is fine:

#1 warhammer, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  2. warhammer

warhammer
    Expand Collapse

any help?

3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Those temps are at idle, you need to check temps while game is running.

It is kinda hard to guess what it could be, it could be windows has updated GPU driver and that is not working, some other program is using lot of CPU, maybe your graphics settings have something that has changed, like dynamic reflections being at max.

Still it is kinda odd why Utah would work fine, as it is about as heavy as Crash Hard map, if nothing else helps then clean reinstallation of the game might help.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. warhammer

warhammer
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the reply. I did update my GPU drivers today via GeForce Experience app, didnt seem to help, though.

What is strange is I loaded the SSRB map tonight and it was running very smoothly, like over 100+ fps. I thought, sweet, this is fixed. Then I made the screen full size in game options, and it immediately went back to the slow, poor FPS. I immediately put the screen size back and it was still poor FPS. There isn't a performance issue, because the 'windowed' game screen was about 98% of the full screen size, I just want the full screen to get rid of the taskbar/windowed mode. So something 'triggered' it to go back to slow FPS.

Ive made a short video of the FPS difference between maps, how it doesn't make sense that the bigger maps run smooth but the simple map, like SSRB, has such a high FPS drop:

I must admit when I switch graphic settings from "high" to "medium", I do see a FPS increase on these 'slow' maps, but Im not fully convinced that is the culprit since maps like SSRB are very simple. Maybe it has far more texture detail than other maps? Maybe my GTX 960 with only 2GB of GPU RAM is really holding my rig back more than I thought? I dunno

Also, I've taken another Speccy screenshot while the BeamNG game was under load:

5. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

That indeed does not appear to make any sense or follow any kind of logic.

Worth to check if any of these could be reason:
    https://wiki.beamng.com/Incompatible_Third_Party_Software

If not...

As the issue is so hard to pinpoint, I think it is best to start with making sure everything is at known state before guessing anything more, so you need to do this with all the steps mentioned in it, then test again without mods, does it happen with any map that comes in game:
    https://wiki.beamng.com/BeamNG_FAQ#How_do_I_perform_a_clean_reinstall.3F

After that maybe test with one mod like SSRB.

If it happens with that one mod, then random guess would be antivirus or some that kind of program, even it is not on that list.

If nothing else works, then HwInfo is handy tool to check out what computer is actually doing when slow fps occurs, you can make it log all numbers to file and examine them in Excel or similar, which might help to get more ideas what could possible be reason for slowdown.

Anyway what makes this so odd is that it is same maps all the time, it should no really happen, but so it seems to be.

• Like Like x 1
  6. warhammer

warhammer
    Expand Collapse

thank you for the reply, I will review this in detail and hopefully I can get it figured out. maybe its as simple as even though I have an i7 8700k, perhaps the GTX 960 2GB is holding it back

7. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It should hold back equally though, certainly it should not drop fps to 10 on maps that should run quite well with it, so there is something awfully weird going on.

If all else fails, blame them Gremlins! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice