1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

"Mysterious" Bottleneck.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by SmokingTiresGaming, Sep 18, 2019.

1. SmokingTiresGaming

SmokingTiresGaming
    Expand Collapse

I have been doing some stress testing with my system to decide if building a new pc with new cpu would be worth it or not or if I should wait a year or two (at least til next gen gpus arrive). I ran 16 vehicles on Italy (traffic) and ran into an odd bottleneck.
    My gpu usage was oddly low (60%) when the game was paused, while cpu usage was only about 20%. So my question is what is causing the Bottleneck? (Running in 4k, max details)

specs:
    i7-6700k
    rog 1080ti oc
    16gb ddr4
    sata ssd

pics:
    real time:
    Screenshot20.png
    paused:
    Screenshot21.png

:).

2. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

CPU load is decreased substantially when you pause the physics as the CPU doesn't have to process all of the physics calculations it normally would with the game running. Since the GPU processes the graphics, its load is more or less the same with the physics paused or unpaused.

I'm not sure if this was your issue, but if I understood this post correctly, definitely do not use a paused BeamNG as a way to check for bottlenecks, as it doesn't stress the CPU and GPU anywhere near equally.

EDIT: I think I misunderstood the post. I can only think of RAM as the bottleneck, if your RAM is running at a very low frequency, or perhaps a software issue somewhere, if there is a bottleneck at all here.

3. SmokingTiresGaming

SmokingTiresGaming
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for reply, don't worry wasn't using the game paused for checking bottlenecks. Was trying to get an idea of how many fps I could get with a lot better cpu. You understood the guestion right the second. I was thinking aswell that maybe the ram is the bottleneck. When the the game gets paused one would expect the gpu to be at 100% as the cpu shouldn't be holding it back.

4. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

What's your RAM speed? If it's something low like 2133MHz I could see why this would happen. (Though I'm not sure it would hold back the GPU in that way)
    It could also be some system performance setting, like the "Balanced", "Performance", "Energy Saving" etc. settings you might find in BIOS for example, perhaps your PC is running a conservative power setting.

5. SmokingTiresGaming

SmokingTiresGaming
    Expand Collapse

Running only 2133mhz, thats possibly the bottleneck.

6. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

If your RAM is rated for higher clock speeds, you could always try to increase the frequency and see what happens. For example, my RAM is good for 3000MHz according to the manufacturer; it was set to 2133 by default but I'm currenntly running it at 2933MHz.

7. SmokingTiresGaming

SmokingTiresGaming
    Expand Collapse

Mine is prebuilt by lenovo. (My first dekstop, did change gpu and psu tho). So 2133mhz it is. Will be buying faster ram for next pc which I will build.

8. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Ahh I see. Do get some speedy RAM when you build a new PC, it's quite good for most gaming applications :)

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice