Need advice on a computer build.

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by AnIrishDerp, Nov 20, 2018.

1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Physics wise, you could do easily 8 cars, no problem at all, but it is single core of graphics (in some cases a GPU) which limits that quite considerably.

2. AnIrishDerp

AnIrishDerp
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

3. John Beat

John Beat
    Expand Collapse

If this is the case tell VMware that I am simply reading from my employee handbook, thanks I would like my job not to lie to me.

4. PriusRepellent

PriusRepellent
    Expand Collapse

Actually, there is definitely a performance hit taken from going with 32-bit vs 64-bit Windows. For gaming, you'll always want the 64-bit version. Getting the 32-bit version is only good for putting on older hardware or for systems with less than 4 GB of RAM.

As for the Home vs Pro... well the Pro is only useful if you want the features that come with it, such as the group policies (for advanced users this can be very useful for controlling how Windows operates). Additionally, it is best to avoid the "N" versions of Windows (thankfully those ones aren't available in the US).

5. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

It is 100% false that any version of Windows, particularly OEM versus retail, limits games ability to multitask. Windows doesn't even know which applications are games versus browsers versus office suites. Everything to windows is an application. All windows versions support full multithreading.

The only limit is the number of cores windows 10 can use. Windows 10 non server editions can only use 2 physical CPUs, with a convince core count (including logical threads provided via hyper threading) of 32 in 32 bit editions and 256 in 64 bit editions. So realistically, you cannot reach the limit as the highest core count CPU available today is a 32 core hyper threaded part from AMD which supports hyper threading and 2 CPUs, bringing you to 128, short of the limit. There is a 64 core CPU coming out to replace the 32, that still takes you to 256.

These limits were lower in Windows 8 and below where you had to have pro for 2 CPUs to be recognised (which is a rare exotic setup anyway). The limits are higher in server editions of Windows where 6 terabytes of RAM and 4 CPUs is possible.

6. BannedByAndroid

BannedByAndroid
    Expand Collapse

"N" versions of Windows are just normal Windows, but with some multimedia features removed due to European laws. It's fine if you not planning to use WMP or some MS apps, or using third-party apps for multimedia playback.
    But, if you have a "N" or "KN" (a version of Windows for the South Korean market, just like Windows 10 N) version, and you still want media features support like those on the "normal" versions, you can install a media feature pack.

7. AnIrishDerp

AnIrishDerp
    Expand Collapse

That’s a good thing. And I’m planning on going for the 64 bit since I had to use a PC using 32 bit Windows 10 at one point and it was kinda tedious.

8. AnIrishDerp

AnIrishDerp
    Expand Collapse

I had to change the case and RAM since there were some motherboard incompatibilities (no USB 3.0 interface, previous RAM of DDR4-3000 not supported by motherboard) and once I checked the prices, it had somehow gotten to $917 from $903. The changes to the case and RAM didn't change much from the prices of the previous parts, so my guess is that the prices for the parts themselves went up because of early Christmas shopping and I haven't checked the prices in a couple of days so that's what I'm guessing happened. Hopefully the price will go down near Christmas.

9. AnIrishDerp

AnIrishDerp
    Expand Collapse

About the chipset, what would be better, an Intel B360 (from an MSI B360-A PRO ATX LGA1151 motherboard) or an Intel H310 (from an Asus TUF H310-Plus Gaming ATX LGA1151 motherboard)

10. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Asus generally is better than MSI.

11. John Beat

John Beat
    Expand Collapse

The 3 msi boards I have ever attempted were all dead out of box.

12. AnIrishDerp

AnIrishDerp
    Expand Collapse

Were they brand new?
    --- Post updated ---
    I’ll switch back to the Asus then. I’m gonna miss those 2 extra RAM slots and good onboard sound from the MSI though lol.

13. John Beat

John Beat
    Expand Collapse

yeah they were all new

14. BannedByAndroid

BannedByAndroid
    Expand Collapse

But then H310 is not worth it IMO. If your budget can get at least a B360.

15. AnIrishDerp

AnIrishDerp
    Expand Collapse

Damn. That sucks. Did you manage to get your money back because of that?
    --- Post updated ---
    The Asus and the MSI are only a couple of dollars apart (like about $5, give or take) and the Asus has some slightly better onboard audio and has a lot of good protection features on it so I'm sticking with the Asus. Though the MSI is slightly cheaper, has a B360 chipset, and has 2 extra RAM slots, it isn't something im willing to buy since the Asus is better suited for it, albeit the extra RAM slots.

#35 AnIrishDerp, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  16. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I would go for an z390 and Asus, or high end something else, quality or price changes, it is quite rare to get more for less, tends not to happen.

Power circuits are much better on z390 on average than on z370, going for lower end models might work, but better choose higher price point and see that VRM is digital and has plenty of boxes, 4+3 VRM is good for Pentium or something like that.

Chance to get bad MSI is indeed high and support when you encounter a problem is better with ASUS, but so they tend to be more expensive too.

I have had good and bad luck with Gigabyte, it is better than MSI at certain level, but really not too great.

MSI model is higher end of the range than Asus model at the same price, but then there is reliability and support.

My rule has been that never buy a motherboard that costs less than 200, I did not follow that rule and Z370 motherboard I got for cheap did last only two weeks or so, now they have 'lost' it when I send it to RMA and practically it is same as I would flushed 150 euros down from the toilet.

17. AnIrishDerp

AnIrishDerp
    Expand Collapse

The Asus and the MSI are only a couple of dollars apart (like about $5, give or take) and the Asus has some slightly better onboard audio and has a lot of good protection features on it so I's
    I may try to do that in the future (next year or other time) but my budget cannot fit a Z390 chipset motherboard. The chipset in the Asus I have picked is a Intel H310 and the motherboard is a TUF Gaming series. It has many good features for protection, durability, performance, and is the best I can get at the moment. Though the Asus is only $84, give or take, it will most likely have the reliability you mentioned earlier and if I do encounter a problem, ill be able to fix it through the support. Thank you kindly for suggesting the Z390 chipset.

#37 AnIrishDerp, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  18. AnIrishDerp

AnIrishDerp
    Expand Collapse

Is the motherboard I have chosen a good one or a bad one? I need to know.

19. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Mediocre at best I would say, but then again it might be best with your budget and if you are going to update it to better in 1-2 years, then it should do the job.

20. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Seems to CPU heavy and GPU light, maybe go for a Locked CPU, (just pin it to it's max turbo clocks using throttle stop) and get a faster GPU, a 1050ti is weak, will play the game at normal-low settings (no dynamic reflections) at 1080p 60.

Motherboard is fine if you plan on upgrading soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice