Need For Speed: Payback

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by EruptionTyphlosion, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Nicelittle

Nicelittle
    Expand Collapse

is it just me or does the centre of the map look like a monkey?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

Granted, I have only seen a few small clips of the game, so I may be completly wrong. But from what I did see it just looked like the player was fighting with the car the entire time. Again, I may be wrong, but the handling was bad last time, so I wouldn't be surprised... It shouldn't really matter though, because you seem to spend more time in 'action packed mini cutscenes' than you do actually driving

3. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Shall we start making fun of how horrible the driver was in IGN's video? Why did they bother uploading it? It's just gameplay of the scene in one of the early trailers, but the driving is so bad it doesn't tell the audience anything

4. Harkin Gaming

Harkin Gaming
    Expand Collapse

I have played Payback for around 5 hours now, and can say that it is a fun game. Depending on how you feel about cheesy stunts and explosions will determine how much you like the game. The physics are nothing like BeamNG.drive's physics, but are a far improvement over 2015's. The cars still do the zig-zagging at lower speeds, but over 30 mph it becomes controllable and easy to learn. Don't expect the game to be a simulator, but if you just play the game to enjoy it, you will be rewarded with a fun car driving experience. It is similar to a Fast and Furious movie where the game is fun to play if you don't overanalyse everything.

5. BowlerHatJack

BowlerHatJack
    Expand Collapse

Interesting. Can you more in detail describe in what way the handling is better than 2015? I'm not arguing against I'm just curious because i don't know. I take it that the game is still very much drift focused in this game as well?

6. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

I didn't buy need for speed Payback, i got MudRunner (a spintires game)

so i have no opinions on payback Yet

7. Harkin Gaming

Harkin Gaming
    Expand Collapse

The handling is less loose feeling and it lets you control the car more instead of it driving itself. The cars also feel much heavier amd the movement of the joystick is better translated to the car movement. The game is not for everyone, I would recommend trying the game before purchasing it because it would be an expensive waste of you don't like it.

EDIT: The physics feel like they take the best aspects from The Run and 2015 and combine them.

8. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

To be honest, i do not like any handling models of NFS games past NFS U2... I do really like how its handling works really well with controllers, racing wheels and keyboards (even FFB works!). The way cars handle is verry predictible and you can beat the game no problem with average droving skills, but when you go to multiplayer and hotlapping, the handling model allows for some over/understeer and makes it quite challenging if you start pushing to the car limits and you start playing with the excellent suspension setups on the dyno.

I think that if they'd just bring back the old handling system and add a litle more in the way of career and various missions, everyone would be happy and the AE would make a crap ton of money on it.

9. BowlerHatJack

BowlerHatJack
    Expand Collapse

Alright. I'll think about it. Of course I'm not expecting sim level handling. I just want an enjoyable fun arcade handling model. I'm also curious how big of an role microtransactions will play in this game.

10. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

I'm meh about all the action stuff. I'd deffinantly prefer if it wasn't all over the top, but it's not that important, since I only really like seeing what cars are in the game, then picking my favourites and just driving around while watching Youtube or something (Which BeamNG is pretty good for). Wish they still had Toyota, but that's a while other discussion...

Was that the same guy that they made play Cuphead (It may have not been IGN...) He was a whole new level of terrible. Struggling to get over the simple jumps in the tutorial... Apparently that guys also played a bunch of other games, and has been terrible at all of them. Going as far as to give the game a poor review because he couldn't figure it out.

11. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Watching videos has turned me off ever buying the game. Even beyond the fact that it still has Burnout-styled drift physics, it's just... stupid. First the swearing and misuse of God's name, which on top of being a bad thing in and of itself just sounds forced and insipid. It's not even there to make the dialogue sound more realistic, it just sounds more like "Where else can we throw in a big boy word?" That's on top of the upgrade system that makes very little sense, I mean come on - a cylinder head upgrade that gives you better brakes, just because of which fake brand makes it? This game is obviously made for people who know nothing about cars and don't care to know anything. On top of that the storyline is just pure cheese and corn.

About all it's got going for it is the visual customization, the graphics, and maybe the map. And AR12's videos show how that visual customization is likely going to be used. He made the right choice of starter car (GNX) but the one you get as a starter comes with some horrible JDM-style riveted fender flares. The rest of the visual modifications it comes with are pretty OK though. So I'm just mentally screaming at him "get rid of those flares, pull the wheels in, leave the rest alone, and it'll look great!" What does he instead do? Paint it blue and yellow (with a livery someone else made, natch) and lower it so much that the tires clipped through the flares! Am I the only one who still remembers the old NFS games and actually enjoys trying to craft a decent-looking car? And even if I was never any good at the performance tuning, at least in some of the old games it tried to replicate the tuning of a real car.

12. CarsAreLife77

CarsAreLife77
    Expand Collapse

So far, I've spent a lot of time on the game. There are a lot of cut scenes, but eventually, you start seeing them less as you progress into the game. Also, the handling isn't so bad.

• Like Like x 1
  13. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

And another thing. I watched another video of the customization and...

JDM RIVETED FENDER FLARES ON A 1965 CHEVY PICKUP.

Especially the box flares. Especially on a STEPSIDE BED.

WHY.

Also, no runner super-build for that truck or anything else. I can't be the only one who thinks the best vehicle for smashing cops out of the way would be a rusted-out farm truck with a plow blade and half-inch-thick steel plate over most of the windows. Might attract a lot of attention, but in the missions where you're being chased from the very beginning, it would be hilarious fun. But then I've binge-watched The A-Team way too many times, so my opinion on this subject might be a little bit biased.

Also, no bed cover. One of the most basic exterior customization options for any pickup truck, and it's just sort of... not there. Would those spoilers even be useful on an open bed?

#253 NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  14. BowlerHatJack

BowlerHatJack
    Expand Collapse

A friend just told me that it has no online freeroam, so i can't cruise around town with my friends. Why?
    And that the customization system is done with these shitty cards.

Yeah this game is going in the trash can of "no way i'm buying it".

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

Get farming simulator 17

More fun, better mods, more relaxing, better weather simulation, bigger map(s) more vehicles, easy to get upgrades, cruise control,forklifts, chainsaws, tractors.

I could list more...

16. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Farming simulator does a better job in being an arcade game then need for speed payback

17. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

Agreed

18. Insanegaz

Insanegaz
    Expand Collapse

It's basically like the first post said it's a ripoff GTA V / Forza Horizon but done really bad, it's 2017 and the cars look bad.
    I hate the car customization with cards it would be so much better to choose or buy our own parts.
    You get reset after some crashes even though you could have clearly carried on thus losing time.
    Online free roam a no go.
    Handling is annoying although easy to use it's odd you can be doing 160mph and stop on the spot almost.
    The sense of speed is terrible 200Mph feels like 20mph

Buy the game? Yes when it's 90% off, full price now? don't waste your hard earned cash.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. coolusername

coolusername
    Expand Collapse

Seen JP Performance YT vid today, i think he mostly uses it for customisation and how the cars would look irl. But he is not the kind of guy who plays all day'n'night.

20. llӇƳЄƝƛԼƠƦƊll

llӇƳЄƝƛԼƠƦƊll
    Expand Collapse

Imo they just need to revamp the original MW, not the 2012 one (I have the 2012 one, my god it's like driving a semi you can't control the cars for shit)

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice