Need help with modding: Torque converter with manual transmission

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Superserg, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Superserg

Superserg
    Expand Collapse

The idea is to use manual transmission with torque converter.
    Some unimportant intro: {
    I know there are so called "race automatic" transmissions, it would be pretty much the same and I probably will not feel any difference, but let's just say I want to do this as an experiment. Actually, first I've been thinking of doing this in real life, but sure not with my every-day car, neither can I buy a car for such experiments.
    }
    I'm experimenting with Covet, I've created a mod with a new transaxle.jbeam, in which I copied the original sequential transmission (I'm using sequential because it's non-synchronous, because real-life gearbox synchronizers would be to weak for torque converter and not let switch a gear) and edited its code a little like this:
    Code:
        "slotType" : "hatch_transmission",
        "slots": [
            ["type", "default","description"],
            ["hatch_converter","hatch_converter","Torque Converter", {"coreSlot":true}],
            ["hatch_differential_F","hatch_differential_F", "Front Differential"],
        ],
        "powertrain": [
            ["type", "name", "inputName", "inputIndex"],
            ["torqueConverter", "torqueConverter", "mainEngine", 1],
            ["sequentialGearbox", "gearbox", "torqueConverter", 1],
        ],
    Code:
        "torqueConverter": {
            "uiName":"Torque Converter",
        },
    and removed everything that has to do with clutch.
    When I install the new transmission in a car, the config is assemled, but the car doesn't react to any input (including even steering), though the simulation doesn't freeze. My guess is vehicleController sees manual gearbox but can't find clutch and freezes.
    Any way to get it to work?

UPD.
    Tried to install both clutch and converter, like this:
    Code:
        "powertrain": [
            ["type", "name", "inputName", "inputIndex"],
            ["torqueConverter", "torqueConverter", "mainEngine", 1],
            ["frictionClutch", "clutch", "torqueConverter", 1],
            ["sequentialGearbox", "gearbox", "clutch", 1],
    Tried removing both and connecting gearbox directly to the engine, same result.
    (I know first would make no sense and second would kill the car, just wondered whether the simulation fails)

#1 Superserg, Jan 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  2. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

The game can't simulate stuff like this, it's impossible to do.

3. Superserg

Superserg
    Expand Collapse

Shouldn't be too hard though, taking into account the game mechanics, every mechanism like clutch, converter or gearbox has its own torque and rpm input and output. Maybe something like custom vehicle controller would help?

4. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

I think you would have to rather make a custom transmission

5. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

The problem is shiftlogic-transmissionName. When you load a transmission a correspond shiftlogic is loaded by the vehicleController.lua. The engine-clutch-manual gearbox loads the shiftlogic-manualGearbox.lua and engine-torque converter-automaticGearbox loads the shiftLogic-automaticGearbox.lua. Since the former doesn't have automatic control and the latter doesn't have clutch control, you have to make a custom shiftlogic-.lua to control your custom transmission.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice