Net neutrality is Dead.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Pyro Shepherd, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Are u Gonna pay for the internet packages?

1. Yea

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. Nope

33 vote(s)
    67.3%
  3. Moving away from the US of A

12 vote(s)
    24.5%
  1. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Comcast/Verizon better not censor my Pearl Jam!!!

Seriously though, I know a lot of people who would lose it if Netflix gets effected like a couple years ago. They are a big company now and powerful enough to not let that happen, but deregulations = who knows what can happen... maybe these companies will be civil (what a nice thought...)

• Like Like x 1
  2. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

This makes things even more interesting.

If there is Net Neutrality rules in place, how is Portugal able to get away with anti-Net Neutrality actions? Is there some kind of loophole in the system?
    --- Post updated ---
    From what I've seen, Netflix is as shaken up about this as we are, so maybe they'll stay on our side.

3. Snikle

Snikle
    Expand Collapse

I don't know how the EU handles things with its member countries, but I don't think that's entirely how internet in Portugal is. One guess is that maybe the picture that's been going around is some sort of "specialty ISP" that was designed for people with limited needs or parents who don't want their kids on social media or something.

Hey, it's Europe, there are plenty of things they do that make no sense to us 'Muricans. (And vice-versa of course)

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I see.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tesla66

Tesla66
    Expand Collapse

Just because the FCC voted on it today, doesn't mean it is effective immediately, it still has to be signed into law (which for as much as I have seen, has not even been written yet) theoretically this would take effect on the first day of the next year Jan. 1st 2018, but if congress can't effectively pass health care or tax reform the first time around, there is no way that a mostly Cristian congress will pass this law during Christmas. I'd guess that it'd be passed around Februarys or march. Thanks bureaucracy, you've temporarily saved the internet. Oh and I completely forgot to say that there are going to be 49 democrats and 51 republicans, so this could be even harder to get passed by, a "deadline"

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

There is no guessing, if you bothered to get an accurate translation from somebody who lives there, you'd know. First of all, it's for mobile data on phones. Second, those choices are to cover extra data specifically for that application set at a lower cost. That's it. That's all it is.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Godzilla!

Godzilla!
    Expand Collapse

Net Neutrality only lasted for almost 3 years and I didn't notice a huge difference before or after it was first passed. I don't really have a huge issue with it atm.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Tesla66

Tesla66
    Expand Collapse

The thing is, as far as I know, ISP's didn't attempt to do anything made illegal by Net Neutrality, however, now given the opportunity, they may take advantage of this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Snikle

Snikle
    Expand Collapse

There. Thank you.

We can finally stop whining about Portugal.
    --- Post updated ---
    Why, because only now people actually care about it? If anything, they'd be less likely to do anything now that the public eye will watching them closer than ever before. They had 15 years to take advantage of it when nobody cared, and if they didn't why start now?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Godzilla!

Godzilla!
    Expand Collapse

They should know better, these companies could lose people if they decide to do something (originally prohibited by the law) that the consumers don't approve. To add to that, what Snikle said, most companies have been around for a while before Net Neutrality laws were passed.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

Well if they get hacked by Anonymous (which they do deserve no butts about it) or the founder of the world wide web starts complaining then they know that they messed up big time!

Never mess with a man's internet!

mind you the whole thing has just happened so no use acting like the world is going to end.

#51 ktheminecraftfan, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I'm now confused about the Portugal case. If it's only for cell phones, why would these journalists attempt to argue that it's what their internet is like as a whole? Sounds like sending mixed messages to me.

The validity of some of these outlets is why I believe Trump wasn't completely wrong about "fake news."
    That's just how it is with me, sometimes I think he's wrong, other times I think he's right.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

it's not only "only for cell phones", that's literally the business model of just one company

it's fake news

the MSM is all lies and/or exaggeration

all yall getting panicked about this shit are playing right into their hands

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

To be honest, there was a part of me that wanted to believe the FCC's claims about it being an issue, but if the US Government wouldn't act so damn shady sometimes, maybe we could place better trust in them.

15. Snikle

Snikle
    Expand Collapse

Why, because only now people actually care about it? If anything, they'd be less likely to do anything now that the public eye will watching them closer than ever before.
    IIRC, I believe it first came along when some Congresswoman (Don't remember which house) from California posted the picture on Twitter saying something like "This is what our internet will be if Pai gets his way," and it was carried on from there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  16. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I didn't hear about the whole Net Neutrality thing until after the announcement back in November and when articles on Yahoo! News started appearing.

17. Snikle

Snikle
    Expand Collapse

Me neither. I think many people had no idea what it was until then.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

nvm, bamboozled by fake news

#58 vmlinuz, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

My reason is I love the internet. I'd hate to lose my freedom to browse it freely and uncensored. I was fearing that with today's decision, they'd be able to allow internet providers to skyrocket prices to an unaffordable rate, as I'm not the richest person around, and I'd also fear being watched Big Brother style.

20. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

The last time this happened they were one of the biggest fighters for NN. A lot of websites have had small campaigns this time around, including Netflix, but they have definitely taken a back seat this time and been more casual about it. They are so big that they can pay any ransoms now for the most part.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice