New Cars With Giant Grilles

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by evolvedpikachu3, Apr 12, 2018.

?

Giant grills?

1. Yay

23.2%
  2. Nay

76.8%
  1. evolvedpikachu3

evolvedpikachu3
    Expand Collapse

I think Lexus started the big grill trend, it fitted their style but now its kind of getting ridiculous. not too bad, looks pretty. good.
    okay, a little big, but still fits it.
    okay it looks stylish, but too big
    okay now its starting to get too big
    From this:
    To this:.
    They aren't to bad though, i kind of like the style, and its not as bad as the new avalon or camry.

2. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Chevrolet needs to stop this trend, and it could affect other vehicles once they get facelifted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

It may be stylish, but at the end of the day it's fake and doesn't contribute to the vehicle. It won't be the end of the world to have fake styling, but like I just said, it won't improve the way your vehicle behaves.

IMO it does not need a grille that big. It's not a performance car, it's designed to be a daily driver.

If that's supposed to be ricing, I guess it's done right, it doesn't make the vehicles look like an absolute eyesore.

4. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

if it is done by definition it can look good

5. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Nobody mentioned the Arteon...

6. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

When I think of ricing, I think of this.

Those examples a few posts above this one to me is just simple tuning that doesn't add useless, ugly parts that clutters up the car to the point that you can't tell what it's supposed to be anymore. But if I'm wrong I accept that.
    --- Post updated ---
    Eh, it could be worse. It's big, but it's not the size of a blue whale. At least I don't think so.

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

They could've shortened it, way too big for an German sedan, when BMW and Mercedes have much better sized grilles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I can agree with that, but when you compare the Arteon's grille to some of the other vehicles pictured in this thread, I feel like it's not as bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Well, until you get to Chevrolet. Promise me, they both have grilles that almost touch the bumper's design/aero.

10. airman426

airman426
    Expand Collapse

You can make large grills look good. These following cars are some examples. The thing is that they have stylized and chromed grills that make it look acceptable. They also don't make it look angry and like they should go faster than they need to. They were a styling element, yes, but one that wasn't solely focused on an out of place performance look on a car that didn't need it. Instead, the styling of the grill fit the car (usually). To me, it's like wearing a light-up santa tie with a brand new designer suit to a job interview. Criminy.

11. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Sometimes, I see why people prefer to look at older cars than new cars....
    Also, for those times, the "over-sized" grilles weren't bothersome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. on3cherryshake

on3cherryshake
    Expand Collapse

Hi, new to the thread and just wanna give my 2 cents because I love car design. I personally think big grilles are OKAY. Don't kill me yet. It looks good depending on the car. We can go back to 2005 with the Chrysler 300.
    2005-chrysler-300c-srt8-1.jpg Lexus-LX-570-ThreeRow-style-overview-1204x555-LEX-LXG-MY17-001001.jpg
    I've always thought that it looks fantastic, the large grille works great and it still works wonders in 2018. And I like Lexus's designs to be honest, some better than others but still. I love the LX570 even though it's a bit old. The grille works great. And Hyundai's are fine. The new Camaro isn't great. I like the new Camry, 300 HP V6 is right up my alley. The new Altima is fine. It all depends on personal taste, some works well some doesn't.

13. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Hyundai's fine?
    They seriously ruin the car, since Hyundai can barely design cars nowadays, and even back in the old days they made some design fails.

14. airman426

airman426
    Expand Collapse

I did like the Chrysler 300's grill. It worked with that car. I just don't like the highly angular made-with-only-a-ruler go-fast design of the grill on the Lexus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

The 300 is a pretty car. The good thing about it is that Chrysler didn't design the grille to take up the entire front of the car.

Big grilles can look nice when you don't go overboard with it. The 300 is a good example of that.

16. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

It's debatable for the size, it looks decently sized for me, like an Mercedes Benz grille from almost every car.

17. evolvedpikachu3

evolvedpikachu3
    Expand Collapse

to be honest the arteon looks REALLY good. The grill fits it, so i say its a pass

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

I personally feel like it could've been downsized.

19. on3cherryshake

on3cherryshake
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, Hyundai is fine.
    images.jpg

20. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice