WIP new map, custom models

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by Average Person, May 9, 2017.

1. CaptanW

CaptanW
    Expand Collapse

what program are you modeling in? I got a little project going on now......hmmm, im sending you a pm.

2. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

I think these screenshots of the new section of the map really show of the scale of this map.

Attached Files:

• 20170705135802_1.jpg
    • 20170705135658_1.jpg
    #22 Average Person, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  3. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

Welp, spent the whole day working on this and came out with a huge new section of the map, had some issues which might signal that I need to start cutting up the model but anyways here's my day of hard work.

#23 Average Person, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Spencer Johnson

Spencer Johnson
    Expand Collapse

Sucks, this map looks dope af, not many people are following this project, this is an amazing map :)

5. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

thanks so much, nice to have the support.

#25 Average Person, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Spencer Johnson

Spencer Johnson
    Expand Collapse

no problem :) I just love creative projects like this!

7. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

well i'm gonna have to take a tiny break on the project so I don't burn out on it cause if I plan to reach the scale I want i'm gonna need to want to work on it, anyways im planning on reviving gilliys island as its still is in a repairable state and I need to finish pine hills.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

More progress!
    Finalized first tree got the poly count down and made it blend with the grass better

Applied smooth shader to the map model in blender so edges look more rounded

and got a idea of where the forest is going to go though I need to make shrubs and grass and some more tree models so it does not look repetitive

This is also shows off the lods or billboards in the background.

Attached Files:

• 20170721233747_1.jpg
    • 20170721233807_1.jpg
    • 20170721233753_1.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Regenworm

Regenworm
    Expand Collapse

A couple (2 or 3) little towns would be cool in this map. Also, is the landscape based of off any place? It looks really interesting

10. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

I plan to have alot more then 2-3 towns as I could really expand this map forever as long as I use culling but yes I have planned to start making a main road that leads to a town soon, the map itself isn't really based off of anything expect the mountains which some what remind me of roads up in the mountains where I live.

11. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

Even more progress!
    I made some more vegetation models

A grass clump and bush model to be exact, I am trying to get the wind feature working as I got the grass vertex painted for a test but can't seem to get it working.
    I also remodeled the first big slope on the valley part of the map so it's not a steep boring straight section but a curvy slightly sloped and banked road which is a lot more fun to drive on.

I would like to say the it is going to be a while before I release the first preview of the map as I still have only a tiny portion of the map made but I hope this ends up being the biggest map ever made in beamng but we will see.

Attached Files:

• 20170723143032_1.jpg
    • 20170723143051_1.jpg
  12. JonasTMT

JonasTMT
    Expand Collapse

Looks awesome! Maybe add smal grass, that you could import from an official map. That will make it more 'alive'.

13. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

I plan to model some smaller grass though I can not use ground cover as that requires a terrain.

14. JonasTMT

JonasTMT
    Expand Collapse

O, yes, that make sence. I've never used custom 'terrain'.

15. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

So I have been working on a new section of the map, I have made a video to show it off but it is very work in progress, the roads are a bit bumpy but that wont be able to be fixed unless I redo the whole thing so I doubt that will ever be fixed, I had to remove vegetation as the transforms of models are changing and having vegetation on the map means it keeps getting moved.
    I have had to make the new section a different model so that's why there's that weird seem in the map.
    I found that near the end the scale of the map was a little epic, I hope when I release the first preview you guys can get an idea of the scale but the video does show it off.
    Anyways I hope you guys enjoy the video.

16. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

I added a wind effect to my custom vegetation using vertex colors, I think it looks a lot better then just static trees.

17. fivedollarlamp

fivedollarlamp
    Expand Collapse

I would recommend you use the Torque3D terrain editor. It makes really nice terrain

18. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

It's been suggested before, I have used terrain blocks on my previous maps but that's only because it works with them.
    This map is going to be much larger then anything the terrain tools could accomplish.

19. fivedollarlamp

fivedollarlamp
    Expand Collapse

oh. understandable.

20. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

I made some more vegetation variants, set up some very wip lods, the aspen aka white trees don't even have lods they just go straight to billboards but thats not the point, the point is that even while recording I got decent fps with a pretty dense forest surrounding the roadway.
    I will attempt to make the transition from high detail to low detail model smoother but for now what I have gets the job done.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice