Next Car Game

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Ukuku92, Aug 31, 2013.

1. jackeo21

jackeo21
    Expand Collapse

Hey, Screenshot_2.png Found This From Bugbear on FB

2. bosseye

bosseye
    Expand Collapse

Oh I agree. I mean what you guys are doing with Drive is incredible. Every time I play it I'm just in awe of how clever it is and the level of simulation on display is staggering and you should all be commended for your dedication to pushing the envelope of technology. NCG is obviously riddled with physical curiosities and idiocy, and I'd agree with your other posts that their claims to realistic physics lean more towards the laymans perception of realism rather than actually being accurate. Even the fact that its notionally still pre-alpha doesn't really mean much as I doubt they're looking to change their entire physical underpinning at this stage, regardless of how many 'mechanical damage' features get switched on.

But as you say (and I do too...) these are really entirely different games, covering entirely different gaming bases. The only real common area is that they both feature cars. To compare them is disingenuous as they're ultimately aiming for different goals. So the fact that NCG is daft means very little when its as much fun as it is. FlatOut 1 was one of my all time favourite games, so ultimately more of the same suits me. Theres room for big silly stuff like NCG and the more considered approach of Drive, and I want to see more of both types, hence why I financially supported both early on.

Certainly. I remember a rough approximation of 'correctly' deforming car bodies playing World Touring Cars on the PS1 many years ago. But this is what begs the question over future performance for BeamNG as a viable game for the masses. It would seem that Beam is likely to head for uber PC territory as it develops, more through limitations of current PC power and their inability to cope with the complexity of the simulations you have going on when multiplied by a number of cars. I'm sure theres performance improvements to come, but if its ultimately going for racing game territory looking at maybe 8-10 AI opponents, all simulating soft body stuff, then perhaps we're almost into Crysis territory where current gen PCs simply can't handle everything with only those with massively powerful hardware able to play the game as intended by the creators meaning a compromised experience for the majority. Its a good thing in many ways, we need games like this to drive the technology of whats considered possible, but the (rhetorical) question is, perhaps like Crysis, will BeamNG be a game that people will pay to upgrade their hardware purely to play with all the visual and physical bells and whistles switched on?

3. Superman

Superman
    Expand Collapse

NCG is an arcade racer compared to BeamNG but don't let that put you off. To get the spirit of NCG, play the first two FlatOuts.

#183 Superman, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  4. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

I should install Flatout UC on my computer again..
    (I've been playing the PSP version but the graphics are obviously terrible)

5. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

Oh wow, I still do that too! It is the only game I still play on the PSP, next to Patapon 2 (I'm a drummer, so it's fun to control an army with beats).

6. jordanpuma

jordanpuma
    Expand Collapse

drummers unite.

I never got into handhelds, nut I still play UC on pc, still tons of fun, still incomparable to War of the monsters

but the more I play the techdemo, the more tired I get of crap physics, Gabesters right, and I don't really think he's being a [fancy words] towards gaming companies, the way I see it, he has a pretty good grasp of how it is today, a bunch of lying poo-poo heads who keep trying to sell us mediocre, cut-cornered, albeit profit-making,pieces of crap, every damn year,(in the case of Battlefield, or cod, or need for speed, etc.)

7. akino_germany

akino_germany
    Expand Collapse

#187 akino_germany, Dec 5, 2013
  8. Masterjoc

Masterjoc
    Expand Collapse

There is no need to compare NCG and BeamNG.
    NCG - fun racer like Flatout 1 and 2
    BNG - beast :p

9. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Just got the email for sneak peek 2.0. Downloading now.

Also, you could compare the damage system to Drive but you have to remember that NCG is planned for consoles so it can't be as power hungry as Drive is. Plus BugBear's racing games are more arcade-y than simulation-y.

10. jordanpuma

jordanpuma
    Expand Collapse

that's weird, all I got was the email saying it got released, but I don't have the dl link..

11. simon48

simon48
    Expand Collapse

Have you bought the game? The sneak peeks are only for people who have pre-ordered the game.

12. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

whats 2.0 like?

13. KaLul0

KaLul0
    Expand Collapse

Its crazyyyyyyy Oo thousands of destructible objects. you can shoot at them or use them as ammo. in the car or in free cam... uff... Iam playing it although i need to wake up in 3 hours :(

uploaded a small test video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JkFgaWEps4

#193 KaLul0, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  14. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

More objects and a neat cannon for shooting stuff. Look at Nadeox1's video.

15. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

My video was made on the first one, I haven't tried the new one yet :)

16. JAM3SwGAM3S

JAM3SwGAM3S
    Expand Collapse

Made a small video of the 2.0 update

#196 JAM3SwGAM3S, Dec 6, 2013
  17. Makoto H.

Makoto H.
    Expand Collapse

NCG is not gonna be on consoles. The Kickstarter failed way before they ever got to that part.

Not like that matters. Even though it's PC-only, the game's damage could never be as good as NCG anyway. Even on extremely powerful PCs there is no way that a game like NCG but with the Beam engine would be playable. Even the most powerful overclocked to the max i7's would crumple from 24 cars with the Beam engine, all flying around and colliding with everything.

It's a cool dream. But Beam is just too good for modern-day computers. It's too ahead of its time.

By the way, Gabe, their comments have implied that they've moved to a system where the car is no longer a sliding brick--I remember one dev stating that snapping off of a tire would result in the chassis dipping at the point. I can't confirm it however.

18. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

They've implied that, but in my testing a missing wheel is purely cosmetic - it's still held up by some invisible... wheel when you lose a wheel.

19. jackeo21

jackeo21
    Expand Collapse

The car does tip when a wheel is missing :p

20. Makoto H.

Makoto H.
    Expand Collapse

Is this testing on Sneak Peak 1.0 or 2.0?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice