WIP Beta released NodeBeam Editor v 0.37

Discussion in 'Utilities and programming' started by Masa, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Masa

Masa
    Expand Collapse

Re: NodeBeam Editor

v 0.21 Update

-Fixed bugs in BeamNG export. There was a bug which caused it to write exponent numbers as node location coordinates sometimes which causes weird problems in game. Also removed the extra brackets and hubwheels.
    https://github.com/RORMasa/NodeBeamEditor/releases

This can be some sort of problem. This editor is mainly done using Qt framework. The "ribbon" is only a tab widget with buttons. :eek:

Bug with hubwheels is now fixed.

The editor can't yet export to existing JBeam, as it only exports nodes and beams. Best way is to export your vehicle in a new file. And then copy paste the modified sections to your actual working file. But even then better be careful if you have node arguments and such that aren't supported yet. :)

Sorry but there is no support for meshes yet.

#21 Masa, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  2. Maj_Turbolag

Maj_Turbolag
    Expand Collapse

Tested the .obj import feature, and the application is stable at 41,000 connected Nodes, so it's possible for some stupid-high detail, game-crashing NodeBeam structures. Excellent!

Also, everything is coming in at a 90 degree angle. It's like the XYZ axis in this program and in blender are different to each other. Will investigate further...

But overall, top job masa!

3. derbymutt

derbymutt
    Expand Collapse

I'm glad I have the webhost SVN'd. I'm going to test an export real quick of another n/b.
    2Eg8OMO.png
    Seems to work well, though its not loading in node groups properly, which is a bit of an annoyance to me. Is importing normal RoR wheels a planned feature? If so, would there be a way to convert between HubWheels and Wheels?

I like the GUI a lot better than the old editorizer's. Also, on the Menu Bar, is "NobeBeam" a typo?

4. Masa

Masa
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! I seem to have forgotten to fix the OBJ axises when I changed them last time, have to fix that for next update. :eek:

At the moment the groups import works this way: When importing from rigs of rods, it creates a new group in editor from each ;grp: tag, same way as in RoR Editorizer does, except that this editor also does it with beams.
    Code:

nodes
    ;grp:Body
    0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, n
    1, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, n
    2, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, n
    ;grp:Chassis
    3, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, n

beams
    ;grp:Body
    0, 1, v
    1, 2, v
    3, 1, v
    ;grp:Chassis
    0, 2, v
    2, 3, v

I did not make the groups yet the same as actual BeamNG groups are. Because I noticed that they may be a bit unlogical for the editor use. :) They are now only groups that help organizing the file inside the editorizer and that show up in the export file as comments, which makes it easy to find each part from the export file. So if you want to turn them to actual group in game also, it's easy to do by replacing/finding the comments. It might be more logical to turn the editor groups to slots for next.

#24 Masa, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  5. ScottL

ScottL
    Expand Collapse

So I just wanna get this straight. The ONLY reason you built your program is to hear other people tell you about how their using it and how awesome it is?

It may be a good idea to double check your priorities.

In a world where LightWave3D, 3D Studio Max, Maya and Blender can all compete for essentially the same market and still exist I think there's plenty of room for a few different editing programs.

6. Swanky_Pants

Swanky_Pants
    Expand Collapse

In my opinion, the most user-friendly editor to date, I hope it stays that way as other complicated features are added.
    I have my car almost finished, and due to the fact that hubwheels are complicated and the lack of info on the wiki, I'll have to wait till it is added to your editor.
    GREAT WORK! KEEP IT UP!

7. Singh336

Singh336
    Expand Collapse

I really like the idea of this editor but it doesn't seem to work well for me, is this supposed to happen?

I cannot select, drag , move, rotate nodes or beams etc

Also is there a way to import blue prints / model dae / obj for reference when creating and building these structures, i see it in the screenshots but can't see any way in the program to make it happen.

When I try to generate a "chassis" the program crashes.

This editor and gregs editor are soooo good but just not there it seems, so close !

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry somehow I missed the OBJ import option, i was trying to import my mesh with the "import from beamng" LOL

Anyways this is what I get... hahaha its KINDA right. rofl

I was able to get the nodes to move AFTER selecting them from the list, but not from the orthographic view.

- - - Updated - - -

Im sorry i have a bad habbit of jumping into programs without reading the info for them, so the obj import is for converting to nodes.. okay thats cool, but why did it flatten out

I would definitely be interested in making my nodes and beams in max and exporting obj and converting them in the program instead of trying to make all of them with the node editor alone.

- - - Updated - - -

Got used to this now and its working pretty well

8. thip123

thip123
    Expand Collapse

This is really great. I was able to import my .obj model file and set the beams. I can only get the green beam outlines in beamng and not the model textures though. I have the model in .dae format and the file has the same name as the .jbeam. I also set the name in the .jbeam to the same. I got the model to show up this is really a great program had to add a group name for nodes {"group": "cube"}, and a flexbody section with the group name. Anyway thanks.

#28 thip123, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  9. Singh336

Singh336
    Expand Collapse

how do I properly setup an OBJ to import to this editor? when I import my OBJ the mesh is flattened and just points..

I box modeled this

(imported from here)

and want to get those nodes in the editor so i can make beams

- - - Updated - - -

:d very happy right now

- - - Updated - - -

I REALLLLLLLY need to know how to PAN the view side to side , and it seems zooming just changes the FOV.

This editor is so good but it needs some more view controls and a bit more work, its so close ! plzzzz hahah !

10. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

Feature request : Multiple files import

11. Singh336

Singh336
    Expand Collapse

Feature request:

Pan View

Multi View layout

In addition to "import from beamNG" have an option / paste box to paste the nodes and beams yourself

like this:

Code:
    //--Nodes--["dashl0",0.636,-0.521,0.684],
    ["dashl1",0.636,-0.521,0.873],
    ["dashr2",-0.63,-0.521,0.888],
    ["dashr3",-0.636,-0.521,0.778],
    ["dashl4",0.214,-0.507,0.638],
    ["dashl5",0.214,-0.507,0.925],
    ["dashr6",-0.208,-0.464,0.587],
    ["dashr7",-0.208,-0.463,0.894],
    //--Beams--
    ["dashl4","dashr6"],
    ["dashl0","dashl4"],
    ["dashr7","dashr2"],
    ["dashl1","dashl0"],
    ["dashr3","dashr2"],
    ["dashr6","dashr7"],
    ["dashr6","dashr3"],
    ["dashl5","dashr7"],
    ["dashl1","dashl5"],
    ["dashl4","dashl5"],

Then they will be "added" to the "scene"

This is good for when you are piecing together a structure and want to tie them together piece by piece so things dont get so overwhelming and cluttered

Thank you VERY much for this program though, really is a game changer.

12. thip123

thip123
    Expand Collapse

Singh, when I right click and hold in the 3d view I can move the camera around to see better. Not sure if that is the pan you are looking for.

13. Singh336

Singh336
    Expand Collapse

yea thats rotating the scene / camera, which is useful..

but you see in my thread I have some pics of the node editor, I can drag and pan the view to move the model back to the center of the view or anything like that, so i have to use some crazy pitch/ angle to see the nodes I need to see to edit.

Node and beam selection works, but its a little slow and they don't light up red when multi selected, i request that implemented if possible.

Keep developing this program please, life saver.

Collision triangles would be nice too !

maybe some way to auto apply the triangles based on the exterior of the model and then delete the ones you don't want... idk.

14. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

I feel like this needs a bump. I love the interface and the way the beams are different shades based on properties, makes it soo much easier to figure out whats going on as I learn to do jbeam. Hoping for more progress on this editor!

15. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

Buumpy bump, This is great! Keep it up!

- - - Updated - - -

hallppp.png
    I need some HAAAAAAALP.

If you want this car in-game help please.. :3

16. Singh336

Singh336
    Expand Collapse

Any work on this program? It has so much potential :O

17. Masa

Masa
    Expand Collapse

v 0.3 Update

Ok, project continues. Thank you for the feedback and great ideas. :eek:

editor.PNG

New features:

• Ability to move 3D view around with numpad controls; 1,2,4,6,7,8
    • New JBEAM input system
      • You can now write/paste node and beam values directly in the JBEAM box and the editor will visualize them when you press the Refresh button.
      • From the N and S buttons below the JBEAM input box, you can specify where you want new nodes and beams to be added in your jbeam file.
      • After moving, scaling or rotating, you can return the changes to the JBEAM by pressing the Refresh button. I planned to make it automated, but it was too heavy to update it after every small operation. It is only important to update the values before you export your jbeam, to apply all the changes made in the editor. For next I will automate it to happen always before exporting.
      • You can colorize your beams by setting a comment line before the beams you want to be certain color:
        For example:
        //BNEcolor:125,100,205

The color is set by giving red, green, blue color, each between 0 - 255.
    • New JBEAM importer and exporter. No information is lost anymore because of the editor when you import, edit, and export your file. :)

Download
    https://github.com/RORMasa/NodeBeamEditor/releases/tag/0.3

#37 Masa, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  18. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

Re: NodeBeam Editor v 0.3

I'm getting this error (it wont open)

Capture.PNG

Good work BTW

19. Masa

Masa
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for testing. Sorry it was obviously missing a file . . . :eek:

You can download again, it should be fixed now.

20. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

I haven't been working on any major jbeam projects to use this editor with lately but I'm very excited you are still supporting/working on this!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice