Nvidia's garbage GPUs

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Skwerly1, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Skwerly1

Skwerly1
    Expand Collapse

This thread is gonna be dedicated to the most garbage GPUs created by Nvidia, that you guys have personally used. Mine would be the GT 730... Huge pile of..

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

mine is the GT 740, I can't play Forza now for some reason, and it's making me a unhappy and angry workclock1.

3. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

They don't have much in the way of true garbage. Like the gt610 makes little sense to many, but it is used as a hardware video decoder, it was used for parallel computing before intels integrated chipset supported it and it's often just used as a plain display adapter.
    Yeah it's garbage at gaming, but that's not what it's for
    Same goes for both the 730 and 740. They aren't garbage cards. They're garbage at gaming. They aren't for gaming though

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

I can agree, but i mean i was getting 20 FPS On Forza with lowest graphics, i was satisfied, but until i get a FH501 Error code now, which I'm blaming my GPU For, so i still think it's garbage.

5. Skwerly1

Skwerly1
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, when I got the 730, I was basically ripped off. Guy told me the 730 was way better than the 650...

6. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

the fact you got ripped off doesn't mean it's bad

it's a low power, low performance video card, priced at ~$50 on release, and was perfectly reasonable in 2014

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

20fps is fairly impressive for a card that like I said, was never meant for gaming. I think Nvidia were pitching that one mainly at CAD/CAM applications which do generally need a fair amount more graphics performance than integrated offers, but for which a gaming card is pure overkill, so the 730 and 740 exist as cheap alternatives. Plus they do work as plain budget video render cards, they're not a good choice, like a 1080 is better, but they will still do it faster than the CPU while being affordable for the amateur that would rather invest in their camera gear than a PC that's probably going to be rendering overnight anyway, if a 730 can do it by morning, then why get a 1080 (though a 1030 would be a better comparison, such a thing exists, they're about £65 and use so little power that some don't even have a fan).

FH501 means your card does not support DX12. Normally indicating that your graphics card drivers are out of date, download geforce experience and update them through that.
    --- Post updated ---
    Yeah no, it's not, and the 650 is pretty poor these days.

8. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Those cards are designed for people upgrading their iGPUs for multimedia and other "stuff" eg. My grandparents Core 2 Duo PC needs a graphics card because Intel GMA X3100 doesn't hardware accelerate properly

9. Skwerly1

Skwerly1
    Expand Collapse

Really? I payed the price of a 650 for it, and was told it can run games at max graphics at 90 FPS lol

Also, the point of this was for gaming purposes, I didn't mean to create a sh*tstorm (But I guess sh*tstorms happen whenever I'm around.)

10. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

yeah, well, you got ripped off. that's on you, not nvidia. given its actual price and intended purpose, there's literally nothing wrong with it

11. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

My first PC had a GeForce MX4000.
    Don't know what was the deal with that card, just getting my hopes crushed each time I saw 'GeForce MX4000 not supported' on the back of game's CD cases.

Others game, like NFSU2, would run, but with many missing graphical features.

12. FS16

FS16
    Expand Collapse

Agree x1000000000
    There are no bad cards, just bad prices and wrong usage

13. MSAguy

MSAguy
    Expand Collapse

I am using an MSI GeForce GT 710..... And Intel HD Graphics 530.....Running on Normal Texture and Mesh Low Lightning No shadows Nothing else..... Got it because I thought I didn't have that much money (but I ended up counting the money that could buy a GTX 780).

That gpu and hd graphics can gimme 20 to 25 fps on other maps and 40 to 60 fps on Grid map and grid small pure.

14. Jota3214™

Jota3214™
    Expand Collapse

Even, my new PC could run that game at 100 FPS

15. Cheekqo

Cheekqo
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I'm not specifying about a single GPU here, but I used to have a 'gaming' laptop with an Nvidia Geforce GTX 730 (I think?) and it was complete shit.

16. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Geforce 2 MX, Geforce 4 MX200, MX400.

Had nothing in common with full-fledged Geforce models, didn't even have a hardware T&L unit, they just let the notoriety of their flagship nameplate carry an otherwise pretty poor product.

Well, it was cheap at least, but you literally got what you paid for.

17. Possibly_Pos

Possibly_Pos
    Expand Collapse

8500gt. Garbage for anything I'd use it for. Only use I have for it is when I've not a second dvi cable laying around to use my 260.

18. Dean Wang

Dean Wang
    Expand Collapse

GT 730
    Titan XP (returned it to amazon)
    GT 740

19. Alex [ITA]

Alex [ITA]
    Expand Collapse

I didn't have many GPUs, but I think I squeezed out the all the power of my old laptop dedicated gpu: it was a nVidia GeForce GT 720m with 2Gb of Vram. I played ETS2MP at mid-low settings at 20/25 fps and BeamNG at 60/70 fps in Gridmap with one car (quite good for a 5 year old laptop :)). On my other desktop I had a GTX 650 with 2 Gb of Vram and... well... It wasn't very good... It didn't support BeamNG in DirectX 11 and ETS2MP was at 40/50 fps with high settings.

And imo the GTX 960 was the "disappointment card of the 900 series"...

20. BannedByAndroid

BannedByAndroid
    Expand Collapse

Titan XP isn't a bad card tho... (the GTX 1080 Ti is more of a better choice IMO)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice