1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Oculus Rift Discussion

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Meral Harbes, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Meral Harbes

Meral Harbes
    Expand Collapse

Since there are again and again posts about the Oculus Rift and it's support, I open this discussion thread for those who have one, and as an information portal for those who want one.

Current build status (0.3.02 third update)
    - Support removed due to device detection problems from the SDK, which lead to non rift-users receiving the dual-perspective render output. (Issue #15)

Development status

- Oculus Rift implemented including head-tracking. (Blog entry)

The following features are not known to be implemented:
    From the Rift Utility:

• [*=1]user hight
      [*=1]gender

I assume that the IPD and eye cup size are automaticly taken into account for the the SDK. (Please verify)
    Then again the eye cup size alters the FOV, doesn't it?

known issues

- Issue #15
    - Issue #23
    - Issue #24

History

0.3.02 third update: Support removed (Bug #15)
    0.3.02 second update: Support included (major update including vehicle handling)
    0.3.02 first update: Support removed (source)
    0.3.01: ?
    0.?.??: Support implemented (The first version to include Rift support)

Complete changelog

Feel free to help with the History. I have to pick this together from old forum posts, and have no information besides the changelog (which does not mention the rift) which version even existed.

- - - Updated - - -

Today i could try the Oculus Rift with BeamNG for the first time myself. First to mention is that the head-tracking did not work for me. I'm not going to open a ticket for that, unless others can confirm it, since I do not know if it was turned on in this build or something else went wrong. While I couldn't complain about getting dizzy from the rift I definitely feel strange when using the rift without head-tracking. It's a strange notion that one turns his head and the view does not shift with it.
    Other than that I can't wait for force feedback and clutch support to try this with full racing equipment.

I have found two other small issues though and added these to redmine:
    - Issue #23
    - Issue #24

Now I've updated to the latest version where the rift is disabled again.

#1 Meral Harbes, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  2. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

3. Meral Harbes

Meral Harbes
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the documentation!

Yes I do have the dev kit hardware.

4. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Awesome, so someone can verify our work. I was afraid that nobody in our little community would have the device :)

We will try to get it working once it is no more issue with most of the normal users.

5. Meral Harbes

Meral Harbes
    Expand Collapse

I think there is at least one user that made the implication of owning one, but I'd be glad to help. [1] [2]

About the current problem: I do not know how the implementation works, but wouldn't it be useful to make an option to enable/disable the rift depended features? While not even initializing them by default the non-owner won't note a difference and not have a problem, while experiment-fiends can play around with it at their own risk.

6. Deleted member 15757

Deleted member 15757
    Expand Collapse

I have one too if you need a tester with programming knowledge (although i have minimal dx/3d coding skills only some experience with UDK) :)

7. dja1ien

dja1ien
    Expand Collapse

Just throwing my hat in the ring as I also have a dev kit if you guys are looking for testers and feedback. I had some success running BeamNG using the Tridef Oculus beta drivers and its mouselook implementation for cab view.

8. ScorpyX

ScorpyX
    Expand Collapse

I have Rift dk1 too - we not alone in beamNG universe : ]

9. Cira

Cira
    Expand Collapse

Just got a Rift myself :)

10. poodlepoodle

poodlepoodle
    Expand Collapse

Oculus Rift

Hello, I have the Oculus Rift and I would really like to use it on your great game and help out you guys on the issues. Can you possibly tell me how to enable the Rift for your game? Because when I launch my game with the Rift plugged in, it doesn't get enabled. Can you tell me why or help me out on getting it enabled?
    From,
    Kenny Barnish

11. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

Re: Oculus Rift

In one of the changelogs, they said that they disabled it, due to issues.

12. pf12351

pf12351
    Expand Collapse

How did you get an Oculus Rift?

13. Ehet

Ehet
    Expand Collapse

I think you can get the developer package on kickstarter, but I'm not sure

14. pf12351

pf12351
    Expand Collapse

15. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Had a go with an oculus rift today actually, belonged to one of my tutors at uni. BeamNG on one would be so awesome, one day that is :p

16. poodlepoodle

poodlepoodle
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, it's really fun...they are using the rift in this game...just wondering how to get it launched with it.

17. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

You can wait. SOME people have to use the arrow keys still! I am trying to get a wireless receiver for my xbox controller at the moment.

18. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

The rift had a few issues on BeamNG so it has been disabled for now (will be re-enabled in future). You'll have to wait a few updates, I'll have to wait until I get my own kit (I'll probably wait for the consumer release now I think).

My only issue with the thing was the resolution on the displays. With the displays being so close to your face you can see each individual pixel too clearly for my liking. It was bearable still at least. However the consumer release is apparently getting higher resolution displays anyway so that should make things a bit better.

I didn't seem to run into the latency issues some reviewers complained about. Sure when observing a lovely fountain with motion tracking I was able to notice it, but it wasn't even nearly as bad as reviews made out and certainly didn't make me feel nauseous like so many reviewers claimed but then I don't ever really suffer from motion sickness so that probably helped. I found it was possible to completely ignore it, I didn't even notice it until I actually tried looking for it.

Most disorientating thing on the planet. Some bastard nicking your mouse and keyboard and then trying to play the game for you :p
    I personally prefer to get the wired xbox controllers. Its not much more expensive than the wireless receiver (about £20 in the UK compared to 10-15 for the wireless receiver) but will save you in batteries. Its also easier to obtain.

19. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

20. CommodoreEU

CommodoreEU
    Expand Collapse

Sounds nice, can't wait to see the reaction of my friends when i let them crash down the cliff with the Rift ;D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice