1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Oculus Rift Discussion

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Meral Harbes, Aug 28, 2013.

1. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

In my opinion VR is something way bigger than some little toysticks that only can track movement and maybe have some buttons to transmit that input too.
    My cellphone can do that, why would a device that has only a single apllication, movement tracking, last in any way, if other devices with multiple functions can do the same too? Just saying i think you cant realy compare those two in terms of long term usability.
    VR is on its very first babysteps with devices like the rift, the rift does not even provide gloves for me or any other special input device afaik, or did they combine it with the Virtuix 360 degree treadmill yet? If not, its just a fancy helmet to see better, the input problem of not being able to see mouse and keyboard is a huge disadvantage i think, at least for people who dont spend excessive time on them and so know them while sleeping. As a gamer for example.
    Furthermore did we not reach any lvl of VR in which the end user/customer could implement his real enviroment into the VR simulation by sensors on the VR helmet/googles.
    It is way to early to judge how lasting VR will be or can be, as we are not even close to have VR as good as we could get it, i think.

Edit: The facebook thingy is of course very sad to see! Now i would not even use it if you pay me for it. Imagine, i dont say its likely or anything, facebook could analyze your reaction times and sensory skills.^^

#81 NkosiKarbul, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  2. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

Facebook why!! who is going to put those on every time they visit facebook? someone explain why they have interest in this technology.

3. Motovader72

Motovader72
    Expand Collapse

Maybe because there's money to be made with this killer new tech?
    You don't think millionaires want to make more money?

It would be pretty stupid for Facebook to spend that much money
    and kill the technology. I don't think they're going to limit it, restrict
    it, or try to ruin it in any way.

They are master marketers, I think it will flourish.

Personally I don't care which corporate big wig gets the money
    I spend on a product. If it's cool and I want it, I'll buy it no matter
    who owns it. :cool:

4. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

I do hear that Facebook has brilliant programmers, maybe they will make it better.. They do have the money to perfect it. Let's hope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Motovader72

Motovader72
    Expand Collapse

Some corporations just buy others to fund them, help them along.
    They probably won't mess with what's working by using their own
    programmers. But yes, I hope it gets the funding it needs to make
    it to store shelves at a reasonable price for the general public. :D

6. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

But imagine seeing it with the Facebook logo.. it will make me gag, eww

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. metalmuncher

metalmuncher
    Expand Collapse

Well, they just aquired John Carmack and Michael Abrash, part of the team that made the original quake/idtech engine that many of today's game engines are based on. The also got Aaron Nicholls along with Abrash to go to Occulus from Valve. They certainly have the talent, and as long as they keep to their word and keep Oculus separate from Facebook I don't see much of a problem, yet. If it means we get a better product or VR in general is improved, IMO it is worth it.

8. FunkyHunk

FunkyHunk
    Expand Collapse

I had second thoughts about these news as well since just the day after I ordered my DK2 they announced the buyout.
    But I guess that how bad can it become?
    I'll bet that IF facebook launches their own software that maybe requires facebook login and ads and stuff in the rift,
    there will be tons of custom advertisement free open source software that lets you do what you want without having to (for example) pay to use the rift or stuff like that.
    The future isn't that bleak imho.

Since they injected so much money into OculusVR that will only speed up the process and competition to get more alternatives of vr equipment out to market.
    Sony demonstrated their Project Morpheus last week, and (from that I gathered) it had inferior specs to the Oculus Rift DK2 still (smaller viewing angle, 90deg as opposed to Oculus's 120deg for example),
    and they said it wouldn't be available in 2014.
    And if I know Sony, it will require a ps4, with ps-eye camera, the vr-goggles, subscription to PlayStation plus and mandatory MOVE controllers. Or something like that.

The DK2 is available in just a few months and IF the Released product will SUCK I will still have the DK2 to play around with.

Sony Project Morpheus:

Another contender for VR goggles recently made their mark, the Avegant Glyph.
    That set are not directly aimed at gaming, but more as a portable 3d-video headset or something like that. Still has head tracking an stuff:

I'm cautiously optimistic about the whole thing though, and how much crap can they do to a developers kit?
    I guess we'll see what the future brings.

#88 FunkyHunk, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  9. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

*opens game with oculus rift support* *advertisment bar pops up on oculus rift because facebook* yes, facebook is going to do so well with it :rolleyes:

10. Ltp0wer

Ltp0wer
    Expand Collapse

So much money is being funnelled into the VR industry right now. It means VR is actually for real this time and not some stupid gimmick.

If you watch the steam dev days videos (specifically the "Wild West of VR" one), you'll understand that racing games are one of the genres that are going to thrive in VR.
    Long video short, one of the main reasons is because it will feel very natural viewing the inside of a cab from a seated position while actually sitting down in your computer chair. On the bad side, if the consumer rift ships with a 120hz screen, you'll probably need beamng running at 120fps vsync with AA to take full advantage of it. I REALLY want BeamNG on the Rift, but I'll have to upgrade my computer if I want to enjoy it.

Also, I have a feeling a lot of people hating on the rift will be changing their tune in the near future.
    John Carmack hasn't jumped ship, Michael Abrash just joined oculus vr, the rift is happening and it's going to be good.

11. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

Except many, many people will not purchase it for the bare fact that they're still going to, in the end, be giving facebook money.

12. Motovader72

Motovader72
    Expand Collapse

I don't think too many people will be resting on the
    sidelines with their "principles" watching everyone
    else enjoy the technology. Not enough to matter
    anyway. People will buy it no matter what pocket
    the money ends up in. IMO

13. Ltp0wer

Ltp0wer
    Expand Collapse

A lot of these people complaining use facebook.
    Also, I think they'll end up like the CoD:MW2 people...

I'm not saying there isn't reason to be irked, but people are overreacting.

When the important people in the VR industry start complaining, that's when I'll be worried. Facebook is in it for the long game. It's a peripheral. Not a website to be ad-strikken. Oculus VR had multiple acquisition offers previously but didn't accept them because of how much those companies would have torn the rift up to improve their own projects. Palmer Luckey said that they only went with Facebook because they would be able to do their own thing. Facebook is all about connecting people; and connecting with people in VR is the coolest thing ever. If Facebook wants to survive in the future, it needs to ensure the success of this new medium. All the knee-jerk reactions are seriously getting old.
    FYI, even if you don't want to give facebook money, the purchase means that competition will HAVE to come up because it's actually serious now. 2 billion spent on a VR tech company is the biggest thing in the history of the VR industry, which means a lot of companies are going to want a slice of the pie.

If you were following oculus just because you liked the company and not because you are excited for consumer VR being real for once, I feel very sad for you.

14. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

oh, i'm still buying it (provided beamng and ets2 continue to support it, if both stop, then fuck you facebook)

i just

15. FunkyHunk

FunkyHunk
    Expand Collapse

Well, yesterday I got my tracking number for my DK2.

So, now is the big question this:
    Does the developers have the DK2 yet as well, or is it a long time in the future before they will get it, and implement proper Rift DK2 support?

Would it be possible to help the devs to test the new DK2's position tracking and 1080p display?
    The screen is running at a comfortable 75hz, and I'm currently running most of the maps with 80-90fps (with one car spawned).
    (I5 4690k @ 4.6, gtx780OC 3gb, 6gb ddr3 1600mhz)

Devs, are you reading this or should I send a PM, and if so, to whom?

Anybody else order the DK2 here on this esteemed forum of greatness?

16. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Anyone seen the teardown for the DK2? If you rip the screen out of it you'll find its the front panel for a samsung galaxy note 3 complete with the actual plastic panel that goes on the front of the phone with the samsung logo.

17. FunkyHunk

FunkyHunk
    Expand Collapse

Yup :)
    That screen is 1080p pentile matrix capable of 75hz, and readily available. From the reviews i've read it looks like it's going to be perfectly suited to this application :)

18. daveywaveyHD

daveywaveyHD
    Expand Collapse

Just searched for it now, here is a vid if anyone else is interested. Thanks for pointing it out 6677.

#98 daveywaveyHD, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  19. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Well officially it is not 75Hz capable, its 60Hz only, its being run outside of spec in the rift. Seems to cope just fine though.

Definitely readily available, samsung did invest into the rift I think so no doubt thats where they came from.

20. Doug7070

Doug7070
    Expand Collapse

Seeing as this thread is alive again, I may as well ask to see if anyone knows or if the devs might choose to comment:

What is the current status of the Oculus Rift in regards to BeamNG.drive compatibility?
    It may have been mentioned before, however the last I heard of the matter was about the devs possibly pulling support due to the Facebook purchase of Oculus VR.
    As a likely future Rift owner (DK2 or possibly waiting until the next iteration, and a consumer model without doubt) I am quite concerned about BeamNG.drive's Rift compatibility, as I believe that it is one of the best games that could make use of the Rift's place in PC gaming.

Any information is appreciated, including pointing out that I was stupid and missed previous posts on the matter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice