1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Oculus Rift Discussion

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Meral Harbes, Aug 28, 2013.

1. FunkyHunk

FunkyHunk
    Expand Collapse

I sell phones for a living and the note 3 has a good screen without a doubt, one of the best at the moment.

So did anybody here order the dk2?

2. Freakling

Freakling
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I'm getting my DK2 tomorrow.

Would love to test out if devs are willing. I'm also a software developer by profession so any tweaking should not be any issue.

3. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

i think support is quite broken atm, but we will look at steam's VR SDK

4. FunkyHunk

FunkyHunk
    Expand Collapse

Is it hard to get the dk1 support to work, and then alter the settings for the new screen, and then head tracking?
    I'm just asking, cause I really don't know :p

5. FunkyHunk

FunkyHunk
    Expand Collapse

6. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Is it hard? Its completely broken in torque 3d which is the game engine BeamNG uses. That is why its disabled for BeamNG. Devs can't control that directly. Bizarrely one of the various 3rd party oculus rift hack jobbies will work on torque3d though even though its native support is bust.

7. FunkyHunk

FunkyHunk
    Expand Collapse

I didn't know that.
    But if Vorpx or the vireo driver might get it to work it's good enough for me :)

8. bobevans1

bobevans1
    Expand Collapse

i have a DK2 and would love to help test a rift compatible version.

9. barium

barium
    Expand Collapse

Is there any new updates regarding Oculus Support?

It looks like Torque3d have fixed a number of issues relating to the the Rift in 3.5, including the reason the BeamNG team had rightly disabled support (namely that it caused issues for non rift users):

http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/22486

Is there any way to force enable Oculus in the game? I'd really like to try it out again. Additionally, as having played many rift-enabled games, this is one of the few games which really make the Rift/VR experience shine. I think it's a huge selling point for BeamNG as well, given the unique experience of the game.

10. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

well the current public versions (stable and experimental) are still running the older versions of T3D, so forcing it on would still cause that bug.

you'd have to wait until the public versions are updated to have T3D 3.5 before it could be enabled

11. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

12. FunkyHunk

FunkyHunk
    Expand Collapse

Oh yes that made me happy :)
    Can't wait now!

13. Ltp0wer

Ltp0wer
    Expand Collapse

Woo hoo!

Can't wait for this to turn into a feedback thread!

I'm hoping the extra graphics draw from the rift won't hit my rig's performance too hard.

#113 Ltp0wer, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  14. FunkyHunk

FunkyHunk
    Expand Collapse

You have to remember, that for a smooth performance you need at least 75fps to get the vsync correct, and also for the headtracking to work smoothly,
    Too much studder will make for a gutwrenching experience.

I easily get motion sickness in for example minecraft/skyrim/fallout 3/bf3 if the frames drop below 75, and I'm used to the rift now, as I have built up quite a tolerance for motion(vr) sickness.
    I think with my I5 4690k@4.6ghz, 8gb ram, gtx780ti setup will struggle to reach 75fps in beamng with the rift. But time will show.

15. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

you are joking right? that setup should have no problem whatsoever getting 75fps in beamng

16. FunkyHunk

FunkyHunk
    Expand Collapse

Without the rift sure, I get close to 150fps on some maps.
    But the 3d(dual) rendering of the rift is more demanding on the system specs than the normal way since everything is rendered twice.

17. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

That is kind of interesting since i when i have used nvidia 3d vision it has never really caused any major issues. Maybe 10-15fps at most, not halving the fps by any means. A 780ti should not have much difficulty with rendering in 3d. I guess there must be something else about the rift that tanks fps.

18. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Nvidia 3d uses 1 viewport and some fancy depth shifting thing. Rift has 2 view ports.

19. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Would be super awesome if nvidia decided to allow Oculus to use some of their 3d tech. Maybe im missing something really obvious but i cant think of an immediate reason why it wouldn't be physically possible. The only thing i can think of nvidia wanting to keep its tech to itself.

20. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

The nvidia tech is like the lenticular pictures you got as kids, simple shifting layers a little.
    The rift actually draws a left and right eye separately down each side of the screen. Totally different. Nothing to be borrowed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice