1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Oculus Rift Discussion

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Meral Harbes, Aug 28, 2013.

1. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I guess that makes sense. My flawed logic was that they could just take the shifted image and render it on the second eye. But that in itself would require rendering anyway, maybe that would work because it isn't needing to calculate what goes in front of what a second time for the other eye, maybe it wouldn't. But im pretty sure the guys/gals at Oculus know far more than i about the rift, im pretty sure there would be nothing that i can come up with that is either possible or that they haven't tried.
    So does the drop in resolution not help it at all, since it is splitting 1080p in half between two eyes as well as adding blackspace?

I didn't realize the rift was quite so demanding as to half the fps in games. Interesting.

2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

This is how the rift renders. It just outputs this as a single image to the display, a display which happens to be strapped to your face in such a way that each eye can only see half of it.
    doom-3-bfg-stereo-distortion-oculus-showfloor-quakecon-120803-p.jpg
    Each side of the image is constructed from an entirely seperate camera in world space, hence why the 2 images are different. Then your human eye constructs them back together as true 3d.
    Sometimes if you shrink the image onto a phone screen and go cross eyed onto it you can get the effect.

The framerate loss isnt so much from resolution but having to entirely redraw the world space from a seperate camera.

3. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, i understood that it renders two images next to each other on a single 1080p screen (from a galaxy note atm). I didn't know that it filled the screen though, i thought that everything it rendered had the black somewhat circular frame around it to fit the fov better and probably also help with performance as a side effect. Example:
    maxresdefault.jpg

So why does it draw so much more system resources than local split screen?

(im just curious, not trying to start anything)

4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I dunno why that doom one is missing it, although apparently doom was unusually disorienting on the rift so maybe it was an oversight.

I don't think it does draw much more than split screen tbh. Portal 2 splitscreen makes quite an impact on my machine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice