WIP Oldsfullsize mod WIP skins thread

Discussion in 'Mods and Skins' started by SergentFido, Oct 7, 2016.

1. SergentFido

SergentFido
    Expand Collapse

He he lol ! Nice skin.
    Well i have a little problem now, that is : a contributor that want to keep unknown, sent me something like 13 police skins, and made for me a french gendarmerie one.
    And the chicago police was here already :p
    Here are the pictures. So i don't know what to do. The more simple is to remove the Chicago one from the pack i was about to release.
    Or may i publish this complete pack and then let you do your own police skins freely ? Your chicago looks very nice so i don't know if you planned to do other one ?
    In this case, could you tell me which one you wanted to do so that we'll publish complementary work ?

Also the contributor did this work just for himself and for me to do freely what i want with them, edit them if necessary and so on ...

As i have a lot of work now and can't look closely to see what could be improved in those 15 skins, so Qwerty9586 would you like to team up with me and the unknown contributor, and see if it's usefull for you to release a complete pack ?

I can see that sometimes the lines don't follow the natural top lines of the Olds body like you did on the Chicago one, but i had a look on some police cars and it's true that police cars like NYPD one weren't painted regarding the body style, the straight line remained a straight line no matter what the car was.
    Tell me you opinion about it.

SCREENSHOTS REMOVED : the way the skin are changed is not appreciated by the unknown contributor so this pack is cancelled as a police pack made uppon his skins.

#21 SergentFido, Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

They all look cool! Just popped in so I don't know the history but this car looks great with all of em'.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

"You're not getting away from me Bandit! I'll chase you in hot-pursuit to the ends of the earth! You Sumb#@*h!"
    That quote is what I thought of when I saw that skin. :p

• Like Like x 2
  4. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

Almost done with the Delta 88 version of the American Glory skin. The second set of stripes has been added.
    Almost complete.PNG
    What do you all think of them? I think they turned out alright.

• Like Like x 4
  5. SergentFido

SergentFido
    Expand Collapse

Honestly i think a bit weird that the top of the car has straight lines, and the side some kind of free paint, non regular one, with different thickness, some parts with a lot of white left. I don't get it.
    It will be better to be just like the flag, straight. Also the front fenders and nosecone are matte, while the rest of the car is shiny. Do you plan to add stars on the front doors ?

• Like Like x 2
  6. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I made the second set of stripes organic for some variety in the design, but if it doesn't look too good, I'll look into replacing them with straight ones. I did save a version without the side stripes.

It's probably the material.cs file that's causing the front fenders and nosecone to differ from the rest of the car. I'm horrible with material.cs files, so I'll probably need someone to look at it and tell me what I did wrong.

Yes, I am going to add stars to the doors. It will be one of the last things I do to the skin.

UPDATE: Material.cs file issues has been resolved.

#26 MisterKenneth, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  7. SergentFido

SergentFido
    Expand Collapse

HA !
    This reminds me something i have to tell as a notice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE to all the skins makers ! :)

i've done a mistake once in some base textures in the material.cs :

singleton Material(mainparts)
    useAnisotropic[0] = "0";
    useAnisotropic[1] = "0";
    useAnisotropic[2] = "0";

singleton Material(regency_parts2)
    useAnisotropic[0] = "0";
    useAnisotropic[1] = "0";
    useAnisotropic[2] = "0";

all the useAnisotropic should be on "1"

So as i duplicated those materials to do the skins, i duplicated the error as well on all my skins. The result is a too much blurry effect, especially visible on text.

So just think to check this on you own skins, i've corrected it in my version and will update the mod with other fixes asap.

Thanks !

8. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I did that, but it's still the same case for my skin.

Could I ask you to take a look at the material.cs file I've provided? If that's okay?

9. SergentFido

SergentFido
    Expand Collapse

yep, i looked at it but i was waiting someone post something, i don't like the condensed posts with updates when it's not the same subject :p.
    The material.cs seems to me correct, the only thing i see is that you use a png instead of a DDS, and this is too much Vram intensive, you'll need to convert to DDS.
    Regarding your fenders looking matte, it can be the material.cs because they use the same material than the doors, the "mainparts" one.
    So something else has removed shininess on your fenders and nosecone. Weird.
    I can have a look if you send me your complete mod folder in a zip.

10. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I sent it to you in a conversation

11. SergentFido

SergentFido
    Expand Collapse

Ha right, i forgot that sorry, was quite busy !
    --- Post updated ---
    checked ! your material cs is calling some textures called ".._C_ag.dds" that aren't in the folder, so the game doesn't find them.
    so as the _C dds can't be found, that's the reason why the car is matte, the overlay applies over some kind of white not shiny material.

12. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I fixed that, and now this happens.
    Broken.PNG

13. SergentFido

SergentFido
    Expand Collapse

you are obviously using a the oldsfullsize_c.dds instead of the mainparts_c.dds which is the map for doors, hood and trunk. I can see the front fender on your front door.

14. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I have resolved the issue.
    Fixed.PNG
    I have a question for you all: I'm going to replace the second set of stripes with straight ones. Should I keep this version of the skin?

15. qwerty9586

qwerty9586
    Expand Collapse

You should go with straight stripes. It matches the angles of the car better.

Also, I've been looking at it and thinking that flag design looks similar to the cans of Budweiser that I have in my fridge (before y'all get judgey, it was leftover cheap beer from a party a month back). Not sure how tempted you are about putting a big ol' Budweiser bow-tie on that skin as well.

16. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I've been planning on doing straight stripes, ever since Serge left this comment.
    I originally made them organic for variety in the design, as it was an experiment to see what everyone thought. In the end, I can see that they didn't settle down too well.

What I have planned is after I put in the straight stripes, I will use a gradient to make the blue fade into the white and red. I have the blue part extended as far as it is so that it will reach the mirrors, as I wanted the mirrors to be blue since the beginning. Once those steps are taken, I will add some extra stars, which I will likely subtract from the hood, as I want the skin to have 50 stars in total.

And actually, that is the first time I ever saw that Budweiser can.
    --- Post updated ---
    Well, I've just added some straight stripes.
    New stripes.PNG

17. SergentFido

SergentFido
    Expand Collapse

The effect of the stripes is broken on the C pillar. What i'll suggest you is to put the top red line of the side of the car, under the windown higher so that it reaches the windows bottom trim (that means apply this move to all the side stripes as well). Then make the bottom C-pillar red line with the same spacing than the side lines, same white space. And go for 3 lines on the C pillar instead of three.
    and try have the same space between C pillar lines and roof lines.
    Also you should not paint in red the thin iron line above the windows, and limit your red stripes strictly to the roof. When seen from the top of the car, the side roof red line is not straight but makes a weird curve.

I'll avoid the Budweiser logo, because it's a brand and it's forbidden in the repository. You could change it into Bull wiser otherwise, but it's some work.

18. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Call it ButtGeiser!

• Like Like x 1
  19. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

How's this?
    Stripe edits.PNG

That was never planned. This skin is intended to be painted like the American flag, and that's it.

20. SergentFido

SergentFido
    Expand Collapse

It's better like that :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice