1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Orbit camera rotation suddenly became very "stiff" instead of "smooth"

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by RY4NDY, Dec 4, 2021.

1. RY4NDY

RY4NDY
    Expand Collapse

Since 4-5 days ago (before the update, although it's also still happening after the update) the rotation of my orbit camera changed; now it moves very "stiff", instead of moving "smoothly" like it used to.
    It happens both when I rotate it using the numpad keys and when I rotate it using the mouse.
    What I mean is that the camera now instantly starts/stops moving when I press/release the button, whereas previously it used to slowly speed up/slow down, which looked much nicer. Same thing also happens when I re-center the camera (numpad 5); previously there'd be a short ''animation'' where it'd rotate back to the rear of the car, but now it just instantly ''teleports'' back to the rear of the car.

It happens regardless of what input device I use to rotate the camera, regardless of whether that is the numpad keys, the mouse, or my controller's right stick.

I think it started after I opened and closed photo mode, not sure though.
    I know I didn't manually change any settings, so that can't be it (unless I've somehow changed a setting without noticing, but I don't see how that could have happened).

I looked in options > camera, but I couldn't find anything related to rotation "smoothness".
    Afterwards I tried verifying the game files (Steam library > BeamNG.drive> properties > local files > verify integrity of game files), clearing the cache, and running the game in safe mode, but the camera still keeps rotating in a "stiff" manner like this.

I also asked for help in the #support channel in BeamNG's official Discord discord server:
    One person sent a screenshot of their camera settings (options > camera > camera: orbit), mine where already almost the same as theirs, but even after I changed my settings to be exactly the same this glitch keeps happening.
    Another person said to go to the level editor and check the "Smooth Camera Movement" and "Smooth Camera Rotation" checkboxes (level editor > camera tab), but they where already both checked and unchecking/re-checking them didn't solve it either.

Does anyone have any idea what caused it and how it can be fixed?

2. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

Last time someone had this issue, a really weird solution helped: run the thumbnail generator, the game will most likely crash and that can fix the issue somehow, if it doesn't fix it then do it again and again. I know it's really weird but it worked for someone before so try this.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. RY4NDY

RY4NDY
    Expand Collapse

That worked! Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  4. rwy

rwy
    Expand Collapse

Hi, can you please explain where i can change value for smooth camera rotation? I used old world editor for this, but in new world editor i can't find it. Please help.

5. RY4NDY

RY4NDY
    Expand Collapse

In the top bar, under the "camera" tab

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice