out of gas

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by bradlylewis22, Oct 18, 2020.

1. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

Why is this such a fight lmao it’s not a lot to ask to just have the engine try to crank after it runs out of gas. Everyone trying to find something to fight about constantly lmfao

• Agree Agree x 16
  2. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

Ok. But the last time I ran out of gas was on a scenario about a year ago.
    --- Post updated ---
    Ayyy

3. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

The way it currently works is rooted in how much changes we can do to existing code without breaking mods.
    It might not be very obvious how these things are related, but I'm fairly limited with how the ignition and starter system can work if I want to keep old things working.
    That's also why there is no multi-stage ignition.
    It's unlikely this will change due to above reasons.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

Couldn't the whole BeamNG team decide that like every 5 big updates (so 0.25, 0.30, 0.35 etc.) you would do some bigger changes that would break mods to give us bigger & better features? I know it might sound crazy, but that's 15 months of time inbetween each .x5 update which is probably more than enough time for people to fix the broken code on their mod(s) while keeping some awesome feature coming to the game. I know you want to support as many old(er) mods as possible, but sometimes you just have to say 'no' & do a big revamp of the code :(

• Agree Agree x 14
  5. LucasBE

LucasBE
    Expand Collapse

I've always been for the idea of "modders are responsible of their own work". I'd honestly rather see bigger and better updates that may break some mods than smaller updates with less "breakthroughs" that try to minize the amount of mods that get broken by said updates.

• Agree Agree x 17
  6. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

beamng relies on outsourced mod development for relevance and engagement upload_2020-10-20_16-40-44.png

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Alieu

Alieu
    Expand Collapse

if all the mods vanished today, from everywhere on the internet, and in our computers, within a month the game would fall into extreme obscurity
    mods are probably what keeps this game's heart beating

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

But there is a difference between facilitating a healthy mod community and hindering development of the game for it.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. Alieu

Alieu
    Expand Collapse

i'm not against your point, I'm for it
    but there has to be some sort of change to the system
    a heads up maybe
    just a change to the way the game is updated

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. ParadoxShiba

ParadoxShiba
    Expand Collapse

It's what makes the game fun to play. Just go into your repo rn and deactivate all of your mods and look at the game, boring and bland as all hell.

11. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't say that. 27 (soon to be 28) cars, including unique ones like the Ram bus/truck and Ultra 4 Hopper (just for reference, NFS Rivals only has maybe 21 in the Racer faction), over 10 maps (including 3 motorsport parks), multiple gamemodes (lightrunner/procedural tracks/hot laps/scenarios/campaigns/bus routes), sandbox style gameplay with a fair number of toys, multiseat multiplayer, large customization/tuning potential for vehicles, multiple vehiclular based activities (crawling, drag racing, police chases, terrorizing traffic with the ram truck), and so on. There's a lot to do and it's easy to rack up a lot of hours without mods compared to other $25 games. Even in it's early access state it has enough official content to easily rival many $60 AAA titles.

Is it "complete"? No, we still need career mode, campaigns have been abandoned, and the official AI can barely get down the 1/4 mile, but the game certainly is in a fair place in a hypothetical mod-less world. Personally I have 1000 hours in the steam release without mods and probably another 100 in the original tech demo (and we all remember how empty that was compared to the steam release).

#31 ManfredE3, Oct 21, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 7
  12. bradlylewis22

bradlylewis22
    Expand Collapse

thank you, so much

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice