Overrated Cars

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by redrobin, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

The shifter looks so akward, or generic for a car like this. It's like america completely forgot what a stick shift was for a few years.
    2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-dashboard.jpg

2. Stormdrain

Stormdrain
    Expand Collapse

A few? Try from 1974-1998ish

3. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Fixed it.

4. CaffeinatedPixels

CaffeinatedPixels
    Expand Collapse

Anything with an automatic downright pisses me off.

Especially the people. Ooh, look at me, I can't push a pedal in every time a needle hits a number! I need the car to DO IT FOR ME!

You can't drive stick? Tough shit. Drive a stick.

5. Stormdrain

Stormdrain
    Expand Collapse

But clutches are expensive.

And in all honesty i'm a fan of the manual valve bodied 3spd in my camaro, but its getting a 4, 5, or 6 speed swap eventually.

Not to mention all the morons who cant figure out how to get a stick car moving and stall it every time. I agree in sports cars stick is a must, but with dreadful econoboxes that just go from a to b, fuck it make the ride as forgettable as possible.

6. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

The reason I hate most supercars, flappy paddle is an evil scourge alongside the automatic. GIVE ME A STICK.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually something I will credit my car to (this is a rare occasion), while it may be a crummy Vauxhall (Opel) Corsa, they made a rather nice clutch and gearbox on it. One of the better ones I've driven actually (although I've mostly driven "econoboxes"). Its peugeot and renault that have no idea how to make a gearbox or a clutch, toyota also did a terrible effort in the yaris and the clutch in the nissan micra I drove was absolutely terrible.

7. Stormdrain

Stormdrain
    Expand Collapse

Onto a car that is overrated. Im sorry to say this to all of my fellow muscle car lovers, but the 1st generation Camaro, 1967-69, is overrated as hell. I know because i daily one when its nice out. Everybody who thinks about a 1st gen F-Body immediately thinks 'wow that looks fast' and its not particularly correct. Factory, my car had a 350CI making 255 horses. Out of 5.7 liters. In a car that weighs ~3600lbs. With a 3 speed automatic. It did 0-60 in roughly 8.4 seconds. A pontiac Aztec does it in 8.5. They steered like boats, drank gas, and had fairly low build quality. The only redeeming quality is that theyre goddamn sexy. And once you dump your entire life savings in one they can be civic si level quick. Mortgage your home and you have one thatll run with its newer brethren. But given the price, rarity, and overall shittyness of these cars (especially now that they're nearly 50 years old) dont buy one if you want to drive it. Theres much better options in both speed and looks, for far less than a nice 1st gen.

Shameless glory pic of mine
    mYbWozz.jpg

8. Prizedcoffeecup

Prizedcoffeecup
    Expand Collapse

i can drive every manual vehicle. give me five minutes to figure it out.
    i drive an auto because on the long hauls it is so nice.

9. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

5 minutes?

If you can drive a manual then you are fully aware that all manuals are the same. Getting used to the biting point of X/Y/Z car etc might take some more finesse, but otherwise it takes approximately 5 milliseconds rather than 5 minutes to figure it out, else you probably cant drive a manual.

10. Wolf

Wolf
    Expand Collapse

Eaton fuller 18 speed with splitter and range selecter
    Every manual ehh?

11. Stormdrain

Stormdrain
    Expand Collapse

'You've got to change gear, change gear, change gear, check mirror... murder a prostitute. Change gear, change gear, murder. That's a lot of effort in a day.'

-Jeremy Clarkson

12. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Slushbox 4 lyf.

Though I would like to say that driving a maƱuel car isn't difficult by any means.

Overrated car? Toyota Prius. Not that good for the environment, driven by vegans and superstars alike. Plentiful in places like LA.

13. KiloHotel

KiloHotel
    Expand Collapse

Although I agree, BMW isn't much better. Plastic valve covers, "high mileage oil" that breaks down almost as fast as other oils, no dipstick because its much cooler to have a sensor and a light on the dash to tell you when its low (who needs to check the quality of their oil?) I really think BMW's are garbage nowadays... Well, so are almost any new vehicle. The older models are fantastic, but holy shit has the quality ever gone down hill. Worked for an auto parts company for a year, the models we sold the most parts for by far were the BMW X series. Especially the X5, total heap of shit. Also those molded plastic valve covers? $550. Yeah, no thanks.

It's all about wowing people with a nice interior and a bunch of creature comforts, which swoons people into buying a ridiculously complex, unreliable heap of shit that's been designed to deter you from even changing your own spark plugs cause its such a pain in the ass.

#53 KiloHotel, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  14. elias7001

elias7001
    Expand Collapse

Every BMW X- series, Modern Lamborghinis and the new Ford Mustang (plastic, plastic everywhere)

15. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Every Dodge. All of them.

16. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Except for gen 1-3 Chargers. Right?

17. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

I don't suppose you want cars to be made of white rhino toenail and walrus tusk instead of plastic, hey? Nothing wrong with plastic. It's cheap, light, relatively strong, gives tactility to the cabin, and newer plastics tend not to go crunchy after 20 years. My 19 year old car still has its original plastics, and they're all as supple today as the day it left the factory.

2015 Mustang is leaps and bounds ahead of the 2014. It's not made of pig iron for a start, and it finally has IRS and other sophisticated bits and bobs. If anything, this car is underrated. As far as I know, there isn't too much hoopla surrounding it, aside from a fair few modified examples and the 350GT.

If you want plastic, take a look at the gaudy American cars of the 80s thru 00s, third-gen Chrysler LeBaron being a good example.

Get off the "real cars aren't made of plastic" bandwagon. Early plastics like Bakelite and celluloid have been used in cars since the 30s-40s.

(imported from here)

• Like Like x 1
  18. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

This freaking thing. God I hate the Golf GTi. The most overrated car from one of the most overrated brands.

Golf_GTI_Mark_V.JPG

Just the GTi though. The Golf R is much nicer on a track and the TDi is much nicer to live with in terms of fuel consumption.
    Oh, also, only the Mark III through VI. The new one is really nice and the first one was a staple of engineering.
    But the Mark V specifically...

19. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

All of them...

20. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

I don't really get this post.
    So what? So what if some of us don't really give a shit.
    In a sports/muscle car, a manual is required, but in a slow, everyday car? I don't really care either way.
    "Tough shit. Drive a stick."
    So people should be required to drive stick, whether they want to or not?
    That's kinda strange. I can understand not liking automatics, but thinking everyone should drive stick whether they like it or not is kinda extreme if you ask me.
    There's a lot more fun to be had with a manual, but when it comes to every day cars, I don't care.
    Actually some cars it matters, some don't. A big, smooth, torquey american v8 is completely fine mated to an automatic transmission, but a high revving japanese i4 is much better paired to a manual.
    When I really think about it, I'm only ok with automatics on v8s, anything else I downright wouldn't drive without a manual.
    To be on topic;
    Nissan GTR. I don't know if someone has already posted one of these. I've forgotten since I went on that rant.
    They have way too much computer interference, and AWD. They pretty much drive themselves. They're the supercar for the people that can't drive.
    Nissan_GT-R_01.JPG

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice