Paint Scratches

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by yTordTaChevre, Jan 23, 2021.

1. yTordTaChevre

yTordTaChevre
    Expand Collapse

I've been playing beamng drive for a very long time. I've always been impressed by the different mods that can be found online on different websites and by the creativity of the developers behind this great game. However, one mod has always escaped the eye and I'm still impressed that the developers haven't added it to the game yet. WHY IS THERE SIMPLY NO SUCH THING AS PAINT DAMAGE? Some people have given the excuse that "it was too hard to do something like this". Yet many games created before 2010 as rigs of rods have managed to do it. I'm not talking about a mechanism that would calculate every loss of paint that occurs during an accident. It would take way too much power for nothing. I'm talking more about an "effect" that would apply to certain areas of damaged bodywork to add wear and tear to the paint. It would add a huge amount of realism to car body damage, and any other racing game where it's possible to damage cars (Forza, Flat Out, Burnout, Need for Speed and company) all have paint damage. So why not beamng?

Attached Files:

• 78BCE75E-9F75-4086-A04F-63258C41ECAC.png
    • 4F89FEFE-7914-450F-A80F-0BEA2E9C8FCD.png
  2. Aykan

Aykan
    Expand Collapse

I was thinking the exact same thing. It would be really good.

3. LucasBE

LucasBE
    Expand Collapse

Because the BeamNG dev team doesn't do things half-way. If they ever implement paint scratches they would have to behave realistically, and not simply overlay a random scratch png they found on google on a body panel whenever it hits a wall.

Also this has been suggested over a million times, there's probably a reason why it's not a thing.

• Agree Agree x 8
  4. FordKing

FordKing
    Expand Collapse

It would take years if the devs made that

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

There's been a tonne of threads asking about paint scratches... Please, use the Search feature before you ask about the same thing over & over again

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. IonicOwl

IonicOwl
    Expand Collapse

You can't draw comparisons between arcade racers and a physically accurate driving sandbox like that.

Games like you mentioned don't have to calculate softbody physics like BeamNG does. They have to look good and be easy to play, that's what the mass market wants in a racing game. You can approximate paint damage like some mods have done in the past, but they won't match the same level of accuracy that BeamNG otherwise offers.

You have to realise that BeamNG is a physics simulation first and a visual showcase second. Paint scratches don't affect the way cars move around or handle, thus are not conducive to improving the unique selling point of the game. There are plenty of other things that need dev attention, visual flair like paint scratches can come later.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice