1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

PC not using all utilization

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by adamsk1, Oct 22, 2018.

1. adamsk1

adamsk1
    Expand Collapse

I just got a 144 Hz screen, and i want as high fps as possible, i get around 85-100 IF i am lucky 144fps. I just want my PC to render as many frames as possible but my graphics card and CPU is only using 50-65 percent utilization. Why does it not use 90-95 percent or higher? I have overclocked my gtx 1060 6gb card up 200mhz rundning at 2125 MHz, it only adds around 5 frames per second. IF you wonder yes i have all the beamng programs ( ui and other) on high priority. PC specs
    I5 6500
    Gtx 1060 6gb
    Asus b150m plus
    16gb ddr4 2133 MHz ram
    500 watt cooler master psu.
    Sorry for my bad english. IF you know anything please reply why.

2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Your CPU single core performance is not enough for game to run at framerate you want to run it at. This game's graphics are currently very much relying on single core performance, while physics can use all cores, graphics can't.

SSAO off, Shadows off, reflections off, then you start seeing your GPU being used better. Those increase CPU usage, a lot.

You won't get 100% CPU utilization until spawning lot of vehicles.

Pretty few games actually are threaded so well that you would get 100% CPU utilization before single core performance starts to be limiting factor, but most games do manage to keep single core load so low that modern fast K-series CPUs at least when overclocked are able to feed fastest GPUs around.

Current version of BeamNG is not one of those games though, so we who have fast GPU hope that future updates will improve that aspect.

8086K struggles to keep gtx 1080 utilized fully in this game if using SSAO and dynamic reflections as those cause graphics thread to overload single core of any available CPU.

That is why Threadripper is not getting quite as good performance as one would except, yet. However I'm sure devs will sort that out so incredible physics code can be enjoyed at best graphical quality possible.
    https://www.beamng.com/threads/threadripper-bottleneck.56810/

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. adamsk1

adamsk1
    Expand Collapse

Ok so Will a 6700k be enough for me?

4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Now hold your horses!

While it is true that right now, 6700K or 7700K would be pretty much perfect for BeamNG, it might not be case when Italy map releases, which might or might not come before March next year, at that time also new 7nm AMD CPUs should be benchmarked, which might again change everything.

Do want right now something that will do fine in a future too, or do you want something that will be certainly absolutely best for running BeamNG next year? In latter choice one has to wait until March or so, in first just go and buy 6700k, overclock that to 4.8Ghz and it will run BeamNG pretty much as well as anything.

8th gen has more cores, but my experience is that single core is not fast enough to be able to benefit from extra cores, that is with 0.13 version of BeamNG.

6700k Will be able to feed your GPU just fine though, but if you get faster GPU, like something faster than 1070 for example, then I'm not sure there is CPU that would be enough fast in BeamNG 0.13, again this may change in future.

8086k @ 5Ghz was kinda almost but not quite enough fast to feed gtx1080 at WCUSA, single core limits still did happen, so I'm not sure how much it is worth to pursue fastest possible single core performance as for example 6700k does plenty enough, thing is 8th + 9th gen and AMD offerings are better at multicore and I would guess that is where BeamNG is moving to.

For you of course 6700k would be nice cost effective upgrade that surely would be something to go for if you can get it for 200 or less, for example used, seeking more performance would cost a lot more, so in that sense it would serve you really well and would not have cooling troubles of 8th gen (cooler does not matter much as heat is not transferring from die to heat spreader enough well). In practice there is no huge difference of how 6700k or 8700k/8086k would run the game I think, but not certain about upcoming 7nm AMD CPU.

So, without really giving direct answer, there are some options to consider.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. adamsk1

adamsk1
    Expand Collapse

Ok so IF i really want the best performance for the money i should go with I7 6700 or 7700k because there is the kost difference IF you compare to 8th generation intel processors?

6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, you would need to get also motherboard with 8th gen and it still is not much better because heat issues limit clocks to 4.8Ghz without delidding, while 6th and 7th gen would run bit cooler thanks to two less cores. 8th gen is still same TDP, but two cores more, so it kinda sucks in that sense.

For BeamNG, I think 4 cores with HT does just fine and does not cost arm and leg, kinda wish I would of gone that route as Z170 and Z270 motherboards were bit better, especially at lower price point.

Between 6700k and 7700k there is not huge difference really, so choose one which you can get cheaper.

7. adamsk1

adamsk1
    Expand Collapse

So i can update my motherboards bios to support 7th gen intel CPUs?

8. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Check your motherboard's support page, usually Z170 motherboard does support 7th gen CPU, not sure about other chipsets, but better check that first and if it supports that, then update bios before swapping CPU.

9. adamsk1

adamsk1
    Expand Collapse

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice