1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Performance issues with AMD GPUs

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Fluffy Panda, Nov 1, 2021.

1. bandita52

bandita52
    Expand Collapse

When I undervolted my gpu I've played for a little bit longer than if it wasn't

2. Drivesafe4

Drivesafe4
    Expand Collapse

For me it's the exact opposite. I miss how this game used to run before this update.

3. PowerstrokeHD

PowerstrokeHD
    Expand Collapse

Not sure if this has been mentioned but the nvidia cards that I have are getting a lot less performance too.

4. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

The new hotfix has improved performance on my end by a massive amount. (This is all on wcusa btw) With 10-12 traffic cars I get a steady framerate and while there are a few minor stutters here its generally smooth as butter. Single car performance on ultra is near triple digit framerates where it used to be 30-40. Theres still minor hitches here and there but its expected. Massive improvement, its basically fixed the problem on my end. Im so happy. Thank you guys. Not sure what you did but it works it still performs much much worse than competing cards but its a big improvement over what it was

#84 P_enta, Feb 9, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil
    Expand Collapse

It didn't improve on my end, game is still running slow compared to other games and my computer specs (5900x + 6900xt), I have to play with Low graphics settings.

Does it matter to do this with Low or High graphics settings?

And would you be interested if I also add data taken with a GTX 1060 in the same computer, in place of the 6900xt?

#85 ChatCureuil, Feb 10, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
  6. cardriver96

cardriver96
    Expand Collapse

I recently got my hands on a 6800XT and do notice quite a big improvement in terms of framerates in Utah, compared to my 3070 Ti. However, the huge fluctuations in FPS still remain as the game randomly goes from low 90s to about 120 FPS depending on my orientation.
    --- Post updated ---
    Have you set min and max frequencies for your GPU? There is no reason why you should be playing with low settings, even though AMD cards are considered to be underperforming when compared to their NVIDIA counterparts.

7. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

Its a power draw problem. for some reason the card doesnt want to draw the correct amount of wattage when the draw calls are too high. Once the draw calls in beam drop, it performs as normal.

8. cardriver96

cardriver96
    Expand Collapse

I don't know why I made it sound like the 6800XT performs better than my 3070Ti (was prob trying to compare it to the 6900XT) but there is certainly an improvement compared to before. Responding to your statement, I guess that makes sense seeing how certain textures (which come into view when you look at certain directions) may draw more power than others. Hopefully, this is something that can be fixed either by the BeamNG team or AMD themselves.

Edit: One other thing I'd like to add is that the CPU plays a much bigger role than I expected. When I swapped out my 3900X for a 5900X last fall, the frame rates jumped by about 15-20 FPS.

9. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

I updated my drivers and now it performs weird again. :( It is generally smoother though so they’ve definitely done improvements. My card is stuck pulling 75-110w. If I look away it pulls 225 and I get frames for days

10. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil
    Expand Collapse

Yes I tried 1 month ago, it didn't change FPS.

11. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

Some more information. At this point, I've installed custom drivers and am on the latest game version. overall the situation is much better but I still get random hitches at 1 second intervals and if the draw calls get too high, wattage still drops and causes lag. Though its ever so slightly less now.

Extremely weird

And actually scratch that about the draw calls, if I go outside to the edge of the map it still stutters each second

12. cardriver96

cardriver96
    Expand Collapse

100% gpu utilization at 255W in a ported version of the Baku City Circuit map (don't mind my roasting 6800xt ;))
    Map can easily be found online if you'd like to try it out for yourself.

AMD Radeon Settings
    Min Freq: 2300 Mhz
    Max Freq: 2454 Mhz
    Voltage: 1150 mV
    VRAM: 2000 Mhz (Stock)

• Like Like x 1
  13. batt

batt
    Expand Collapse

The "PerfGraph_xxxx_xx_xx_xx" files don't appear to be exporting anywhere after you launch the game in safe mode. I was only able to get them to generate after launching it normally.

#93 batt, Feb 15, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  14. Fluffy Panda

Fluffy Panda
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

That's fine :)

Make sure that your mods aren't active.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

Theres this too

16. kakert

kakert
    Expand Collapse

whats that

17. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

This is how it should be on every single map. These cards have the power, the game just wont let them use it.

18. Aussie 2

Aussie 2
    Expand Collapse

im not in need of any support i just need a question answered, is there any launch options for beamng that i can use to improve performance? im aware with some games they can use special launch options to improve performance by setting a start up command to use more cores and ram. is that possible with beamng?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. NistingurA

NistingurA
    Expand Collapse

So I'm going to put in my feedback too, since I've been using an AMD GPU for a while now.

My PC Specs:
    Intel Core i7 4770k @3.9GHz
    Radeon RX-Vega 56 Sapphire Pulse @ ~1600Mhz and 900Mhz Memory
    16GB DDR3 Memory
    Game is on SSD
    VSync is enabled, but it makes no difference in-game with performance, I use it mainly because of FreeSync

I play on these settings currently

upload_2022-3-14_13-18-33.png upload_2022-3-14_13-19-2.png

Firstly, this is on West Coast USA, Docks spawn, just standing here doing nothing, I am getting around 50 FPS, no matter what settings I use in game.

upload_2022-3-14_13-17-15.png

Just idling here, my CPU is sitting at roughly 37-40% util. and my GPU at around 60%, RAM is at around 10GB / 16GB

Moving on to Italy, using the same settings as before:
    upload_2022-3-14_13-23-13.png

Same story: game is hanging around 48-50FPS with some areas if I drive around, dipping down to 40 or less (!)
    Now putting the game on Maxed out settings:
    upload_2022-3-14_13-29-23.png

The FPS drop to around 40, which is fair, I guess ?

upload_2022-3-14_13-30-22.png upload_2022-3-14_13-30-31.png

Even now with the game running at all it has, my CPU is still chilling at 40% utilization, which is to be expected since I didnt increase the number of cars

the GPU Util. went up to 68-70% tho, which means. The GPU just isnt used to 100%, same with the CPU, there are a lot of open resources, even if my PC is a bit older. I see no reason why I can't play 60+ FPS on max settings, the game just won't let meo_O

Bonus Round: Here is the game run at basically "minimum" settings, (I turned on SMAA Anti Aliasing, x16 Anisotropic Filtering and Dynamic reflections, everything off the game ran at around 100-110FPS)

upload_2022-3-14_13-37-48.png

Still a bit spikey, for whatever reason, but the game runs at around 80-90FPS

CPU and GPU utilization is still at 40 / 60-65% respectively.

#### More fun stuff I found out ####

The shadows in Beam absolutely destroy my framerate, I was playing around with settings, trying to find what causes "lower framerates"
    This is "no shadows" - running around 70FPS
    upload_2022-3-14_13-43-9.png

upload_2022-3-14_13-43-46.png

Putting the shadows even just to "Partial" drops my FPS down to 50

and I found that "Lighting" also impacts the performance a bit. "Lowest" is obviously best performance, "Low" dips it down a tiny bit, "Normal" doesn't change much, and going to "High" drops to around 60-55 FPS (I didnt try Ultra but I guess it dips down a bit more, I am guessing to around 50-55 at best? ( I turned off shadows for each setting)

#99 NistingurA, Mar 14, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. bandita52

bandita52
    Expand Collapse

i currently have a amd ryzen 5 3600 and using a discrete graphics card and was wondering if i were to switch over to a ryzen 5 5600g and not use my gpu would that be a better option.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice