1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Performance issues with AMD GPUs

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Fluffy Panda, Nov 1, 2021.

1. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

Look up disable deep sleep with more power tool
    It stops the wattage and core speed from randomly dropping while gaming which causes stuttering.
    I did it and it performs faster than anything I’ve ever seen and it’s smooth as buttwr

• Like Like x 1
  2. securiteeboyz

securiteeboyz
    Expand Collapse

Thanks I will try that I also found out that setting GPU clock speed to within 150mhz of max 2300-2499 has helped but I am still getting stutters at the begining of loading a derby. I was really frustrated when I wrote that the other day. Thought I was stuck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Guesswho2778

Guesswho2778
    Expand Collapse

i have no seen a meaningful increase in performance and often a decrease in most maps after upgrading from a 1060 3gb to an rx 6600, there is often a lot of stuttering, neither gpu or any cpu core is at 100% usage.
    the first screenshot was taken at 1080p normal preset. the rest was taken at a mix of low and normal with a bit more detail in the reflections and motion blur as i forgot to change it back to normal.
    ive had similar results on different drivers but cannot guarantee that it was close enough to be the same issues.
    until recently changing graphics settings did nothing to improve performance or change gpu utilization, though that seems to be fixed.

I have tried the experiemental vulkan mode on both my 1060 3gb and rx 6600 and have never gotten above 20fps if ive managed to load into the map at all (which is very uncommon)

im not demanding help, im just leaving stuff here for the devs to look at.
    im getting decent performance thanks to dxvk, but would rather not have to use it as it seems to be causing some instability and texture issues.

Attached Files:

• Screenshot50.png
    • Screenshot56.png
    • Screenshot55.png
    • Screenshot54.png
    • Screenshot53.png
    #143 Guesswho2778, Nov 25, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  4. securiteeboyz

securiteeboyz
    Expand Collapse

So I found another thing that helped my situation. Locking the frame rate to somewhere in the low 60's (with AMD Free Sync on) has really helped with the smoothness, it really makes any frame drops a lot less noticeable. Still wish I could figure out the horrible stutter at the first 5 seconds but I can live with that it's extremely smooth after that.

5. nobelious

nobelious
    Expand Collapse

Wanted to post my situation here to see if any others are experiencing the same thing and if there's a solution. My system is a Ryzen 5 5600, 16GB 3600Mhz ram, and a RX 6600XT.

In the normal game with ultra graphics on a map like East Coast, USA I hover around the 50-60fps range with mild drops here and there. Once I load in traffic (5ish cars) the fps will drop to 40-50fps. However, in Vulkan mode at ultra settings I sit at the 80-90fps mark and with traffic, I stay above 60 fps no problem. I have the most recent graphics driver and see no other issues on my end. I can also clearly see that in Vulkan mode, my gpu utilization is at 99% like it should be but in normal mode, my gpu sits at 60-70% utilization only. Any solutions?

6. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

I don’t see the issue here. Use vulkan.

7. Guesswho2778

Guesswho2778
    Expand Collapse

the vulkan mode built into beamng is buggy and not stable, ive rarely been able to launch the vulkan mode successfully and have always had worse performance.
    im using dxvk at the moment which works very well, but im seeing weird texture bugs with that too.
    this person is asking why the game isnt using all of the gpu in dx11?
    i remember hearing that dx11 only uses a single cpu thread for sending draw calls (pretty sure that was it) to the gpu, while dx12 and vulkan can use multiple threads.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. nobelious

nobelious
    Expand Collapse

Using an unstable API is not a solution to my gpu only being utilized by 60-70% in the normal game.
    --- Post updated ---
    So by dxvk, do you mean the vulkan api that you can get online through github? How does that differ compared to the Vulkan API in game and is it any more stable vs the ingame Vulkan mode?

Also, in terms of utilization, how come in other games that run on dx11 my gpu is utilized just fine? I only have this utilization problem with this game.

9. Elijah1

Elijah1
    Expand Collapse

5700G and 6900XT here i cant get my utilization up above 20-30% and it causes my FPS to be 40-50
    Id think this system would do better

10. nobelious

nobelious
    Expand Collapse

It's not the systems fault if it's not being properly utilized. It's the game's fault and it's what I'm also trying to find an answer to.

If you launch Beam.NG in Vulkan mode, it should utilize properly and then you'll see the real power of your system.

11. Elijah1

Elijah1
    Expand Collapse

DAMN I see what you mean there
    I went from the FPS before to now getting 180-200 FPS
    a shame the vulkan renderer isnt stable though

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

Sometimes vulkan never crashes and other times it crashes after a couple minutes. Honestly I’ve just gotten used to it because the game performance is amazing

13. nobelious

nobelious
    Expand Collapse

In my experience, Vulkan works decently well for the most part. I can play using Vulkan for more than an hour with no problem. However, I notice that after a set amount of time (or due to some random scripts within the game) the fps will tank to the 40's and will likely crash the game after a few minutes or just play horribly. However, a game restart fixes this. Also, if you're changing graphics settings, do it before loading into a map as changing it during the game will crash.

Despite that, Vulkan actually lets us AMD users make full use of our hardware for this game. I just hope the devs either figure out what's causing the utilization issue to occur in the normal game or they make Vulkan stable enough to use on it's own.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil
    Expand Collapse

I tried Vulkan (Windows), selected Italy map, and the map never loaded, stuck at loading forest.
    Maybe I had to wait several minutes?

#154 ChatCureuil, Dec 19, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
  15. Car_Killer

Car_Killer
    Expand Collapse
    QA / Mod Support
    BeamNG Team

Hello!
    Is there anyone with preferably Ryzen 9 5gen and AMD GPU that can show me what their CPU usage looks like in DirectX11 mode west coast with just a single vehicle loaded?
    Preferably with RX 7900XT/X but if there is anyone with RX 6x00 it's okay as well as long you have the latest 22.12.1, driver.

I'm looking into performance issues on the latest GPUs
    amd_shitusage.png

Thanks for the help :)

16. Elijah1

Elijah1
    Expand Collapse

Well i dont have a ryzen 9 But i do have a 6900xt if thats any help
    upload_2022-12-19_8-41-48.png

• Like Like x 1
  17. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil
    Expand Collapse

I suppose 22.12.1 is a mistake, it's 22.11.1, but it's not anymore available, 22.11.2 took the place.

5900X, 6900 XT, 22.11.2, West Coast, Low graphics setting (that's actually the only way to get 140 FPS) :

Clipboard01.jpg

If you need more feedback, just ask. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Car_Killer

Car_Killer
    Expand Collapse
    QA / Mod Support
    BeamNG Team

No, it's not a mistake, I have an even newer driver than that (22.40.00.60) but yes, the latest is 22.12.1. Maybe it's only for 7900XT tho.

Thanks for checking. Maybe the issue I'm looking for is the 7900XT/X bug, where any DX11/OGL app uses 100% of 1 thread and hammers performance.

Attached Files:

• upload_2022-12-20_10-7-23.png
    • Like Like x 1
  19. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil
    Expand Collapse

#159 ChatCureuil, Dec 20, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
  20. lazer400

lazer400
    Expand Collapse

Is this what your looking for?
    5900x, 7900xt on wcu
    Drivers are 22.12.2

Attached Files:

• adad.png
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice