WIP Beta released Pine hills

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by Average Person, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

Got a new computer gonna have to move map over and see if I can't get it to work, If I can I'll continue to work on it until I finish but its gonna be a while.

2. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

Got back into beamng and finnaly fixed all the problems now I can continue to update the map but the download has been updated to the working version so have fun!

3. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

20180923180222_1.jpg
    Finally making some progress

• Like Like x 1
  4. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Do I see new tree models? Regardless, I like what I see bud. From one mapper to another, thanks for spending lots of time trying to make content for this game, it can be an uphill battle sometimes.

5. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

Likewise, modders like you where always willing to help even when you where trying to teach someone like me who was only 14 at the time, while the community has changed a lot it's always great to see the vets still making mods and participating in the community.

6. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

I do my best here, thanks. Doesn't hurt to ask when there's questions (just take me with the 'at' symbol, so I see it), and then you'll be able to have a shot at knowing the answer. This engine is surely very ambiguous at best and a nightmare at worst but the game itself and concept is just too awesome. For all the people like me that wanted to make their own race track (Even if it's disguised as a run of the mill highway or regular roads), this game is the ticket. There's nothing quite like it. To have new content all the time keeps the game alive, and believe me, I have reminded the developers of this a multitude of times. They are good people for their work.

If you're interested in my up and coming puzzle piece road kit (known a the MRK 'kit) once you get this map done, let me know.

Some people are mean, some people are selfish and don't share with others the knowledge and talent and models they make, me, I could care less if someone uses my things (too old for fuss), "go ahead, make an awesome map with whatever you can scrounge up, I will be more than happy to enjoy it", is my stance on it. If mappers bring things new into the game, I am elated - that's awesome. Folks like this build the community by adding resources to the pool. The more resources, the more building blocks we have to make maps, and make something cool, not to mention the more likely-hood that someone will make awesome stuff with it. So do your best and knock it out of the park. Looks great so far and if you have a question, drop by my thread or send me a message, or better yet, just tag my name and I will see it within a day or two to respond.

Just keep an eye on your draw calls (with the FPS counter, hit CTRL F twice for it), as that's a killer of many complex maps, including mine, below 3900~4000 draw calls though and you're good. Below 3500 is best. Above 4500~5000 is murder.
    --Cheers!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

20180924164553_1.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  8. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

20181001173859_1.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  9. sohnzugspitze

sohnzugspitze
    Expand Collapse

nice map;););). who is the download link ???:confused::confused::confused:

10. Spiicy

Spiicy
    Expand Collapse

Is download link a person? :D
    But in all seriousness there is no download link. i don't think the map ever worked well for anyone else anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

Theres a old version of the map that works fine, its the only mod I've uploaded.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. NaNe

NaNe
    Expand Collapse

Why cant I see the download?

13. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

14. NaNe

NaNe
    Expand Collapse

15. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

So I've been doing some more experimenting and I found a pretty cool way to turn a 1081 x 1081 heightmap from terrain party and scale it to any size while still having a fair amount of detail.
    The problem with just simply scaling a heightmap is that you don't gain any detail, so you get something that looks like this:
    1Before.jpg
    This heightmap is subpar at best and really doesn't look that great even with a decent diffuse texture.
    A while ago I download a free tool called Wilbur, when I first downloaded it I didn't really like it and found it confusing.
    I came back to it because of the fact that it does erosion and has a unlimited 16bit heightmap export size, I took my heightmap, scaled it to 8192 x 8192, imported it into Wilbur and then started testing out different options and then imported the resulting heightmap into beamng:
    3FirstAttempt.jpg
    It was a start but the erosion was way to sharp and just ended up looking weird.
    I continued to fool around with the software and eventually got the results I was looking for: 5FinalProduct.jpg 6FinalProduct.jpg
    I think this is a great start to the pine hills final update and I can't wait to get more progress updates out!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Leon B.

Leon B.
    Expand Collapse

I can't seem to find the download
    --- Post updated ---
    Sorry, should've looked better

17. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

20190204195814_1.jpg
    slowly but surely making progress, I'd say for only using free and opensource tools this is a pretty decent looking map, I'll probably just buy world machine and use it for any other projects though because the amount of work and time it takes to make something like this isn't really worth it when the output is really only subpar, sure I could fiddle with it and probably get it almost inline with world machine but I doubt that'd be worth the effort.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

Made some final changes to the heightmap, gonna start taking some screenshots and getting some ideas of what I want to do with the map.
    Once I finish brainstorming I will finally start cutting into the map, before you know it I'll be asking for beta testers.
    Cheers! :D
    20190206210800_1.jpg

19. Kueso

Kueso
    Expand Collapse

sweet looking terrain!
    almost looks like italy textures for the terrain. but im not sure.

20. Leon B.

Leon B.
    Expand Collapse

Looks good, can't wait to start driving on it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice