WIP Pobcot Island

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by jdbensch, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Regenworm

Regenworm
    Expand Collapse

Did he update it? There isnt a reply since my reply 1 week ago. Where have you found the info that he updated it?

2. jdbensch

jdbensch
    Expand Collapse

No, the thread is not dead. I am still working on the map, but I've been rather busy and haven't had much time. I haven't sent out alphas yet because I'm not happy with the current state of the map yet, even for an alpha. I will post more pictures of progress soon.

3. jdbensch

jdbensch
    Expand Collapse

Some progress had been made, I will post pictures soon, I keep forgetting. Changes include more highway, more trails, bridges, partial AI mapping, and more.

• Like Like x 2
  4. jdbensch

jdbensch
    Expand Collapse

Reworked the spawn area, added more trails, and completed the highway loop while effectively making the job a bit easier for myself. Here are some pictures as promised.

Attached Files:

• 20170207064530_1.jpg
    • 20170207064547_1.jpg
    • 20170207064555_1.jpg
    • 20170207064615_1.jpg
    • 20170207064711_1.jpg
    • 20170207064733_1.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  5. jdbensch

jdbensch
    Expand Collapse

Some more WIP screenshots. This is the windmill farm area near one of the sections of highway.

Attached Files:

• 20170216212625_1.jpg
    • 20170216212646_1.jpg
    • 20170216212656_1.jpg
    • 20170216212705_1.jpg
  6. Regenworm

Regenworm
    Expand Collapse

Great, i thought it was dead. Looking good. BTW : how did you got de del sol working?

7. jdbensch

jdbensch
    Expand Collapse

The Del Sol appears to be working again in the newest version, I tried booting it up and it did without issue.

8. CarBro74

CarBro74
    Expand Collapse

Wait, it does, great! Well also good job for making progress I guess.

9. jdbensch

jdbensch
    Expand Collapse

Did somebody ask for railroads?

Attached Files:

• 20170302062011_1.jpg
    • 20170302062025_1.jpg
  10. CarBro74

CarBro74
    Expand Collapse

I... uh...
    GREAT! Now I can drive that subway on it! Are you going to add a town soon?

11. jdbensch

jdbensch
    Expand Collapse

I may do a town but I haven't decided. If it fits into the map, sure.

12. jdbensch

jdbensch
    Expand Collapse

Hey guys, just a quick update. I haven't forgotten about this map but I haven't had much time to work on it these past two weeks. It is still going to be worked on, and next on my agenda is banking roads. This will probably take awhile it'll get done.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Regenworm

Regenworm
    Expand Collapse

Take your time man!

14. Fuzzwad

Fuzzwad
    Expand Collapse

The radio is on in my car right now, and this dude was ranting about island names, ending on "pot island". And just as he ends I look at the forums and this is the first thing I see.

Anyway, this map is looking really good, looking forward to it!

15. jdbensch

jdbensch
    Expand Collapse

Here's a pic I took today. Adding some banking to my roads.

Attached Files:

• 20170402205558_1.jpg
  16. jdbensch

jdbensch
    Expand Collapse

I think I'm just about ready to give out a very, very rough alpha of this map. If anyone is interested PM me, help is appreciated.

17. jdbensch

jdbensch
    Expand Collapse

I haven't forgotten this map, or the alpha I wanted to send out. I haven't been working in BeamNG lately and have been rather busy. I don't know when I'll work on this map, as it's a very large endeavor.

18. jdbensch

jdbensch
    Expand Collapse

Some very rough WIP images of an offramp/exit area. It will be tweaked and hopefully completed soon.

Attached Files:

• 20170528121938_1.jpg
    • 20170528121944_1.jpg
    • 20170528121949_1.jpg
  19. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

If it helps, have some pictures to inspire you by, so the scale is right (that bridge looks high, for example). Careful using google street view, regular photos can be better, because street-view is wide-angle and it can distort things at times/certain angles.

Try getting one scene done up as you'd wish the final product to be, to make some good 'completed' screenshots, and put those up when you have time. This is alike to what I did many months back with Tennessee Roane County map, along the highway.

For what it's worth, since decal roads overlap with priorities, the lower number layering on-top of ones with higher numbers, do this for the on/off ramps. You'll have 'Merge Apron' texture with a 7, off-ramp with an 8 or a 9, and a highway with usually a 10 (I set my highways in the 20-something range). You'll want or not want your highway texture and off/on ramp texture, to go and overlap the highway, depending on if it's newer or older than the other texture. Yes, the merge apron is what you place where the highway and off/on ramp are together - the merge apron is the space for making up the speed difference (acceleration or deceleration lane) between the motorway and the off/on ramp taxiing portion(the ramp itself). You can then adjust the width of the on/off ramp and or merge-apron ends to mesh better. Don't change it too much or the pavement's edge or the line differences will be obvious. On / Off-ramp is used interchangeably here for purpose of demonstration.

Feel free to see how I did it on my maps if you need to, sometimes seeing is believing. Don't forget to blend your texture ends.
    Only use bridge sections where you absolutely need them (they're expensive here FPS-wise, and IRL $$$-wise), use earthen embankments (regular decal roads) wherever possible, as the bridges when they are made of mesh roads for example are render-intensive, and a few off them can make a dent in the FPS. A bunch of them makes a huge hit, So-Cal is a prime example of this. However, they still do look nice regardless of how they're made when textured right, and in addition, if you can use static meshes for the pillars and abutments, the FPS hit isn't half as bad.
    Mesh roads don't have MESHCULLING (which is like LOD, for example, which helps FPS, for purpose of this thread anyways)... atleast, they don't YET.
    Also, if you make a curved bridge, make sure you REALLY need it curved, unless you know how to do WAYPOINTS, otherwise the AI will never make it across.
    --Just a few tips from someone who's built miles of game highway (well 70 some).

#39 bob.blunderton, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
  20. Octothorp Obelus

Octothorp Obelus
    Expand Collapse

I think you should add the water-filled barrels at the inside of off/on ramps. You could put the models in place and make it act like brush. That way you don't have to make mesh and jbeam it, then figure out how to make it persistent to the map without lagging.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice