Poll - Just to make a few issues clear

Discussion in 'Mods and Skins' started by NOCARGO, Dec 30, 2020.

1. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Should the Straight Eight Engine Addon for the Crashhard Classic be back on the repo or not ?
    Please vote HERE
    Dear community,

My mod, Straight Eight for the Crashhard Classic, has been taken down due to a 'copyright' claim and there are a few things I want to make clear. Before to speak of 'copyright' please let me first consider the terms 'honor' and 'recognition'. I have been informed by the moderation that my mod contains a peace of LUA code that is used without crediting and having received permission from the original author. The first thing I want to make clear is that concerning these terms I want to out an upright and sincere apology to @mike94 again for having neglected to ask his consent and for having neglected to credit his work on the original code. There is no use making up excuses for things I do wrongfully so I am not going to make those excuses. It was wrong and I admit that. I also apologized to the author thru pm immediately after I discovered the claim. The author hasn't been active on the forums since before I became a forum member, so I wasn't expecting any permission soon after the claim was made. Now I would like to consider the term 'copyright' for a moment. As far as I know, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the term 'copyright' is an official instance acquired thru an official 'motion', officially documented and financially secured. My detailing might be off a little but I suppose and I expect that most of you are well aware of what I'm pointing out, since on legal grounds all members should be 16 years of age or older.

After stated the above I would like to come back to the peace of code in question. It's a fairly short peace
    of code providing dedicated electrics used to control beams with "hydro" properties or simply called hydros.
    The code is very elegant and effective. Being the first one to write a peace of code for a certain function in
    the game is a unique achievement, that part seems clear enough to me. What appears to be not so clear sometimes is where a line can be drawn between 'proprietary' and non 'proprietary' code. I mean, is the alphabet for sale ? So let's go a little deeper and look at the structure of a peace of code. There might be certain functions, statements, variables, all doing what they do and bearing their particular names. Small files of code don't take much to look strikingly similar to each other, yet perhaps being written by two persons completely unaware of each other's code. Why am I mentioning this ? Because this doesn't mean that if one certain feature needs to be applied, somewhere on Earth or in the universe, that it can't be made by different persons. In other words, all code looks similar up to certain extends.

After stated the above I would like to move on to the fact that immediately, after becoming aware of my mistake, I wrote my own code for the feature in question, then apologized to the author for having used his convention of the code. There are enough members around here to confirm that, although perhaps not being the best programmer, I do have become pretty trusted with coding features for mods and or simply other things.

After stated the above I would like to point out that people are prone to making mistakes and you, reader, as my fellow human, have the absolute right to address me for mine. I, on the other hand, have also the right to address others for their mistakes. What I would like to make clear in this paragraph is that there is no legal ground for publicly convicting your fellow human of theft or any other felony or crime without a proper proof. This might sound a little harsh, but being called a thief on the public forums is quite a little more harsh. On top of that, reminding you of the thin line between 'proprietary' and non 'proprietary' code again, and remarking I actually left the original code in my mod out of respect for the original author, not to forget that changes do have been made to make it work properly with my mod. What I do understand is younger people being less able to guard their sense of discipline, though that is exactly why we learn to respect our elders when we are young. No, I am not a kid nor elderly, I have barely reached middle age and I too need to preserve my respect towards my elders (yes that includes anyone who is older than me). In return elder people are forgiving towards younger people too and in general every one should just respect everyone. Just pointing out.

After stated the above I would like to mention that moderation sent me the following message in response to my question :
    This is how the message looks in my email inbox
    1.png

Then after checking into my forum inbox the same message looks like this (?)
    2.png

I have immediately acted upon, having already provided new code for the feature in question at that time, and sent a link to the updated version of the mod. I understand it takes time to process all incoming repo mods and moreover I highly appreciate all the effort being made by a small but dedicated team to provide us with a pleasant experience of the forums, the repo and certainly the game itself. But considering the date I've sent my link and the amount of new mods that meanwhile have been approved and added to the repo, I also have received no further response or confirmation whether my link is well received or whether my mod is approved again to be shared, especially with all the members who are fond of it and or even having subscribed to it. I mention this in this post because those members too might want to know why this mod is currently unavailable.

After stated the above I finally would like to mention that I linked a poll to this thread in order to have the
    community to share an opinion whether my mod should be available on the repo or not, in case there are some members still being disapproval my mod, or believe I ought to be sanctioned for omitting credits and permissions when needed. I think this poll can be useful to evaluate an opinion on this matter.

Thank you for reading,
    -NOCARGO

;tldr BE GOOD, BE HUMAN, HAVE FUN !

:)

• Like Like x 5
  2. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

I hate to bring this topic back to the front of the forums but I think I've been waiting long enough now for a response to my last beam bot message. @Nadeox1 is the link I provided going to be used, as promised, or do I need to make the mod page from scratch again ?

3. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

I have never ever gotten any response from the beam bot system. The bot may be broken or something, it seems like it never worked for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

20210128_093318.jpg
    This didn't age well at all lol, good that the mod is now back without any copyright issues

5. iRetr0x

iRetr0x
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I feel like that’s hard sarcasm lmfao

6. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Well, if it makes you feel better I can assure no one has come up with a better and smoother shifter so far so I guess it still stands :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice