Porting BeamNG assets to other games...

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Bakasan, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

Just wondering, as I have seen a few people port stuff from BeamNG to the likes of GTA V, Car Mechanic Simulator and Assetto Corsa, what is the standpoint from the Devs about the use of your content for such conversions? Assuming due credit is given of course.

I also ask, as I am considering porting the likes of my S14 to various games (and it has been modified such that it utilises BeamNG's assets)

2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

This is about copyrights, which is ugly and has many shades of grey.
    All commercial games have copyrights on their assets.
    Those are meant to not allow misuse of game or it's content (one example is piracy), a layer of protection.
    Example is Assetto Corsa and their strict policy on re-using their content on other games (they do not allow it, and it's understandable if they spent X resources on it)

Let's say that seeing BeamNG content used to make other BeamNG content is the better thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

If mods make sales of some game, then using some other games assets would be like making money for the that some game by using other game's assets.

Essentially that would be like if someone's work would be used without financial compensation to get financial benefit, even person doing conversation does not get financial benefit from it.

Just one angle of view that might not occur to everyone.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Spiicy

Spiicy
    Expand Collapse

There is a gta5 mod where someone put the covet in as a dinka

5. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Funny enough this is also an idea I've had, the reason being that BeamNG, though it has about the most realistic physics ever, still has some weaknesses on the racing side that would make Assetto Corsa better for certain purposes such as making machinima (although that game's inability to handle night racing - what a joke for a 2014 game - makes it less than ideal here as well), directly comparing cars in specific situations (time attack results won't always predict the outcome of a wheel-to-wheel battle), or racing BeamNG cars against real-life cars (I'm guessing most of us don't have the equipment or the connections to take a Ferrari 812 Superfast apart down to the bare chassis and laser-scan each individual component). Once Beam has multiplayer and/or fast AI, at least the first two problems will be taken care of, but the third will sadly continue to be a problem until I win Powerball and can afford to buy and scan whatever the heck car anyone here wants (I just might be convinced to do it, though do be aware that I have a massively long list of cars kicking around in my head already...)

#5 NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice