Questions about info.json (UNSOLVED)

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Aboroath, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

I am trying to set up an info.json for my map and cannot get it to work. It seems so simple but whatever I do (copy,modify,paste), it refuses
    to show the information in the level selector. I've used both regular Notepad and Notepad++. Do I need to create one from scratch?

Why does this seem so simple and it won't work? How is BeamNG using these files? Thanks for any feedback!

#1 Aboroath, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Re: Questions about info.json

Can you post your info.json ?
    Any little error can totally invalidate the file.

Taking it from on of the official maps and just editing it would work tho.

3. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Re: Questions about info.json

Thank you Nadeox, I'll post it here in a bit.

Okay, I did a file integrity check, replaced 10 missing files and now it works. I need a vacation. Thanks for the quick reply!

#3 Aboroath, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  4. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

I thought I had this solved. Attached is a info.json I changed from Jungle Rock Island to Forest Hills.
    Also attached is the level selector and shows how it looks with the Forest Hills level name.

What I did:

Unzipped JRI from contents\levels and copied it to mods\levels.
    Opened the info.json and modified the level name to Forest Hills with notepad and saved.
    Opened the JRI .mis and renamed it to Forest Hills and saved.
    Started BeamNG and went to the level selector.

There was no cache to delete since I didn't select and enter a level. From what I've gathered this should be showing
    the level as Forest Hills with the JRI preview images right? If I delete the contents\levels JRI zip the mods\levels copy
    (Forest Hills),will be blank in the selector as shown below. You can also see Ouerbackers Green Island map has the same
    issue even though that info.json says Green Island. Webpage saying invalid filetype on the .json so I copied it.

"title": "Forest Hills",
    "description": "*Updated Version of Dry Rock Island* High speed asphalt and winding sections through the mountain suitable for drifting with many jungle trails.",
    "previews": ["jungle_rock_island_preview.jpg", "jungle_rock_island_preview3.jpg", "jungle_rock_island_preview3.jpg", "jungle_rock_island_preview4.jpg", "jungle_rock_island_preview5.jpg"],
    "size": [2048,2048],
    "biome": "tropical, jungle, island",
    "roads": "70% asphalt (half high speed, half winding mountain roads), 30% dirt trails",
    "suitablefor": "rally, drift, trails, delivery",
    "features": "industrial site, port, cliff roads, dormant volcano",
    "authors": "BeamNG"

After changing info.json and .mis from JRI to Forest Hills, now two JRI's show up.
    Screenshot (2).jpg

After deleting JRI from contents\levels. Copy with Forest Hills info.json change
    remains. Green Island showing the same issue.
    Screenshot (3).jpg

Deleting parts of or the entire BeamNG documents folder changes nothing nor does having the level zipped/unzipped in mods\levels.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, I have the selector showing the level as Forest Hills...for now.:p Does the info.json need a specific image file extension (.jpg .png )???

5. burilkovdeni

burilkovdeni
    Expand Collapse

yes it does, I think it prefers .png .

6. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Actually I've seen both. The ECA previews are .jpg but I've seen mod maps with .png. When I get back to my rig that's the first thing I'm checking out.
    I honestly don't see a reason why a simple Json would require one or the other but who knows.

7. LJFHutch

LJFHutch
    Expand Collapse
    Environment Artist
    BeamNG Team

Hm, make sure the .mis file and the folder itself are named differently, could be causing conflicts.

8. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Hutch. Currently working on that. I have definitely noticed my maps terrain materials will not work while the map
    is unzipped in the mods folder. Moved the map back to contents\levels and they show up. Now I'm trying to see if I can
    work on the map while in the contents folder, update it with the cache stuff, re-zip it and send back to the mods folder.

The info.json modification works in the contents folder and not the mods folder as well. Hopefully I can work on the map
    while in contents and get everything working right zipped and in the mods folder.:cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice