Outdated R.M.S. Titanic

Discussion in 'Boats' started by nastygdigger, Apr 18, 2017.

?

Working smokestacks?

1. Yes

95.3%
  2. No

6.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

Call down,

I visited BeamNG in Bremen yesterday, and I was talking with @meywue and your mod got brought up. The issue is that beam cannot run high node count objects. When I get back I'll try to reduce the node count. Don't cancel it.

2. nastygdigger

nastygdigger
    Expand Collapse

The thing is. I can't cancel it. i wont cancel it. i'll never cancel it. and you actually talked to them about this? I thought beamng would have unlimited vehicle size... like the map size. well thank you for helping with that part. But in all seriousness. I'll need to relax til then. So til then i'll try to get my mind focused.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. nastygdigger

nastygdigger
    Expand Collapse

I'm sorry for the long break that's going on. But we all need to relax alittle. Hope ye guys understand. And we will be back with a fresh mind.
    --- Post updated ---
    Ok sorry to ask. But i want someone to give me the beamcount. the verts is 2,294. Ok, removing the supports for the walkways (the side ones) would remove 336. a bit more 384. so witch way should i do it guys? And when should i get off break?

Attached Files:

• finisher.png
    #343 nastygdigger, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Jbluefury

Jbluefury
    Expand Collapse

get off break asap and go for better looks on the boat
    --- Post updated ---
    acutauly get off break when u feel chill

5. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

Let me guess; you're using a script to export the entire model whole from Blender. If yes: don't do that.

My advice to anyone who at any point wants to start making a vehicle from scratch is to never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever start making a complicated model and a vast and ambitious plan before learning at least a tiny little bit of JBeam, from scratch, using a text editor. Believe you me, it'll go a long way to helping you understand how the game's official vehicles are built, and how the format works. And, yes, it'll also teach you how a jbeam ultimately differs from a visual model.

Anyway, OP, using a script to export a jbeam from blender is not at all a bad plan, but trying to export the entire visual model from blender is only ever going to result in an instant-crashing jbeam that, if it could be simulated, would fall apart like wet paper. In a nutshell, you'll want to start a new model that will just represent the ship's hull in a very simple and efficient way. I know that's not that exciting, but you're gonna need to knock the number of nodes down from 2,200 to around 1100 at the most. I'd recommend that this new model will adopt a profile less like what you see on the left, and more like on the right:
    titanicProfile.png
    • Cross braces are needed to keep the hull's shape; no two connecting beams are locked into the same orientation to one another unless you do that explicitly. The left jbeam would just crumple.
    • Doubled up nodes along a perfectly flat surface are removed, and loose meshes (like the cabin on top of the deck in this image; it would just fall through the hull) are integrated into the rest of the model.
    • Lastly, a central support structure is added down the middle to better distribute the weight.
    Two of these updated profiles, if adapted to the model's shape properly, could have an early version of the ship in-game with less than two hours' worth of work, and a conservative 22 nodes in all.

Sorry if it seems like I'm just throwing information at you and hoping you keep up, but there's a good bit to learn here and you're gonna want to know it to bring the Titanic dream to fruition. I may have an example file that could make this a bit easier to understand, and give you a chance to play around with something simple to learn your way around JBeam.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. nastygdigger

nastygdigger
    Expand Collapse

So i have to go from 2,200 to 1,100 verts? not just right under 2,000 verts?

7. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

Well, a higher count might work (never say never, right?), but as the T-Series Cement mixer is pretty well the most complicated JBeam in game, its count of ~1000 nodes is one you'll be advised to match. Lower is generally better though; a little more margin for error for performance reasons is always preferable.

Oh, and if I may be pedantic for a moment: 'vertex/vertices' and 'edge/edges' are terms mostly applied to 3d models. Which, granted, is what the physics mesh is when it's in Blender. Once it's an actual JBeam, however, the points are 'nodes' and the lines connecting them are 'beams.'

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. nastygdigger

nastygdigger
    Expand Collapse

not the first time i had a problem like this.
    --- Post updated ---
    also verts is 2,294. so with what people suggested. (I didn't know beameditor existed. nor how to get to it.) i can use what in a way to roblox's unify tool apperently if thats whats being told?
    --- Post updated ---
    Well there are also crossbeams in it too. But i believe right now its too much.
    --- Post updated ---
    But can't i just remove railings and redo them?
    --- Post updated ---
    Well there are also crossbeams in it too. But i believe right now
    See i done that tho. Just has apperently too many beams? I think we need to remove down to the required beams of 1,000 and keep it there.
    --- Post updated ---
    And here's the beamcount.
    --- Post updated ---
    And can ye fix it with blender? As the tutorial says?
    --- Post updated ---
    News: We are back: With help. Thank you all currently who's helping. But for now me, and fera are working together with admins on this. you all will be credited tho. The ship currently has 15,000 beams and 2,294 nodes. And being fixed offically thanks to the admins and fera.

Attached Files:

• Beamcount.png
    • Like Like x 1
  9. nastygdigger

nastygdigger
    Expand Collapse

Question. Use The rest of scripts instead of jbeams off of bne or on it with jbeams? (no idea)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gasoline_boy 2

Gasoline_boy 2
    Expand Collapse

Very nice cant wait to see how much strength the R.M.S. Titanic's walls are and hopefully someone makes a map for it and if i can i would love to fly a plane through it still good job for keeping this going :D:D

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. nastygdigger

nastygdigger
    Expand Collapse

Just trying to get through some thinking issues..

12. nastygdigger

nastygdigger
    Expand Collapse

Fucking Hell. @_@ About to just put all types of scripts that the tutorial has in the damn thing and hope that works.
    --- Post updated ---
    Relaxing before i snap on everyone by accident all because im stressing over scripts.

13. nastygdigger

nastygdigger
    Expand Collapse

#353 nastygdigger, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  14. nastygdigger

nastygdigger
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I need you guy's support, I need to be supported on my trek to fix this ship and actually finishing it. I'm not quitting. I'm only taking a break til i find out what to do. And i need your help everyone. to quide me through. Shall i follow admin or fera with the blender's tutorial? I need a vote on it. Please. Its for all of you. I can only take specific details tho. So please help.

#354 nastygdigger, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  15. nastygdigger

nastygdigger
    Expand Collapse

Need to remove only 6,000 beams on the titanic, And it'll be able to work i believe. lets hope so!
    --- Post updated ---
    We Can Do this Guys "Fight To The Very End!"

16. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

Listen to me. Use the BN Editor to make a new jbeam. Your current one is worthless, as it's outdated .

17. nastygdigger

nastygdigger
    Expand Collapse

After i use blender to make a new model with less beams, and a less jbeam script. and use the editor to double check my work. i got 6,000 beams to remove-lower.
    --- Post updated ---
    I took a picture of the model i based this project off of. And i guess its gonna have to be near exact of the model then? o_O
    --- Post updated ---
    It's resorting to this. Is this ok with you guys? Its based more off the model.

Attached Files:

• TitanicModel.jpg
    • finisher.png
    • RMSTITANIC_officalBEAMNGBLENDER.png
    #357 nastygdigger, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  18. nastygdigger

nastygdigger
    Expand Collapse

I'm thanking the Beamng.Drive Admins soo much for helping with this progression.

19. Im White.

Im White.
    Expand Collapse

I think this mod is going to sink down.. *Drum sounds*

20. nastygdigger

nastygdigger
    Expand Collapse

Thanks the admins for helping, and fera for bringing them.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice