Released Rally Forest (Now with winter version!) 1.5.1

Medium size map with dirt and paved roads in a dense, detailed forest

1. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

Re: Rally Forest

This map needs to be included in the vanilla game, it's that good.

2. dpitkin

dpitkin
    Expand Collapse

still working on it but I want peoples opinion, should I keep going?
    screenshot_00005.jpg
    The only problem is that to have more then one texture of snow I have to add more ground model texture names to the snow category.
    So currently that means editing with the default game files which will affect all maps, of course no maps have snow, but in the future I can't guarantee it will still work.
    If anyone knows how to add more ground model names for just a specific map, I would be most grateful

3. SuperNoob05

SuperNoob05
    Expand Collapse

I think it looks awesome!
    Keep going on like that!

4. g0tsl33p14

g0tsl33p14
    Expand Collapse

I do not have mapping answers for you. Instead a look at this in light of simulation. In winter, you cannot sit without burning calories, you must do something, if you start to shiver you will be losing more calories and still completing less. If you must, you must go on, your map will turn out fine.
    The woods are dark and deep, and I've promises to keep, and miles and miles before I sleep. Keep going.

5. dpitkin

dpitkin
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Confucius;)

6. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Hoooyah.....WOW. Very realistic.

Couldn't you have totally separate and different snow materials/textures and dump them in the snow groundmodel? Anything you put under
    that groundmodel would follow it's parameters. Is it possible to add another entire groundmodel if needed?

7. dpitkin

dpitkin
    Expand Collapse

I currently am adding to the groundmodel.lua, that's the problem, I would much prefer if it was independent of the main files, so if the developers update it doesn't break the map.

8. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Okay, I was confused on what you were talking about. If I'm not mistaken modded maps go into the "unknown user files" folder when Beam updates
    and they remain untouched. Forest Hills went through an update and I was able to bring it back untouched into the contents folder. This is the only
    way I know of to have a mod map stay alive through an update.

I also keep a fully up to date (daily), "in progress" copy of FH on a thumb drive/stick.

9. dpitkin

dpitkin
    Expand Collapse

I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on the updates, and tell people to back up the groundmodel.lua

10. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Sorry about that dpitkin, I finally understand. Excellent point and something I need to think about as well....damn.

11. DeGa

DeGa
    Expand Collapse

That looks awesome! All your maps have a very special atmosphere and look and feel, that's great!

I've also been bugged by the hard-coding of the mapping ground texture - ground models. It's probably something to be reported in the section "suggestions", or even in the bugtracker. There should definitely be a specific file in the maps folder to edit this mapping. just not sure if it's on the radar or not at all.
    For your information, my problem was with associating vegetation sprites with ground textures - I wanted several type of grass which would have associated ground covers. Ending up with about 4 ground textures for grass, I could not map everything back to a proper ground model.

EDIT: created this thread, hope it gets attention: http://www.beamng.com/threads/13693...extures-and-ground-models?p=214995#post214995
    Please do not hesitate adding to it, especially if I did not capture correctly the essence of your concern.

#51 DeGa, May 26, 2015
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
  12. vladmir poopin

vladmir poopin
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

if you do not finish this i will most definatly have to kill you

JK dont call cops lel

will it have less grip then the normal one?

13. DevKryton

DevKryton
    Expand Collapse

This map should be official content! I am speechless, this is too good to come from a normal modder :D Are you some undercover dev? :D
    Anyway incredible work!

14. TheMedgeGaming

TheMedgeGaming
    Expand Collapse

In the levels menu I get this. Why is that happening? And I get infinite loading when I try to load the map

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
  15. dpitkin

dpitkin
    Expand Collapse

I'm actually done, just been very busy. I'll try to upload it today. Also expect much lower grip, fun to power slide
    No idea, how did you install it?

16. TheMedgeGaming

TheMedgeGaming
    Expand Collapse

No idea, how did you install it?[/QUOTE]

1. I downloaded the .zip file
    2. I extracted the .zip file
    3. I put the folder from the extracted file in Documents/BeamNG.drive/mods/levels

Am I doing something wrong? Actually I get this type of error/message for all terrains and vehicles that don't have "terrain"/"vehicles" folder inside the .zip file. Those that have "terrain"/"vehicles" folder inside the .zip file work fine. I even reinstalled the game and it's still the same. I keep getting this "WARNING: no info.json available for this level". What does it actually mean?

17. dpitkin

dpitkin
    Expand Collapse

Could you take a screenshot inside the folder of the level? It sound like you did it right, but I can't be sure, and you're the first to report a problem

18. DoullPepper

DoullPepper
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

:D I Had the same problem!! :p It's nothing, you have just 2 folder with the same name, when you extract you have : rally forest\rally forest\ art etc... You must have rally forest\art ... (one folder)..

19. dpitkin

dpitkin
    Expand Collapse

that's what i was thinking just wanted to make sure, happens if you says extract to folder.

20. TheMedgeGaming

TheMedgeGaming
    Expand Collapse

Phew, yeah that was the problem - 2 folders with the same name :D thank you so much. I've been trying to figure it out what am I doing wrong in the last few days. Everything's working now. That happened to me not only with this map but with with all the vehicles and maps that don't have "vehicles" or "levels" folders inside the zip files. Now that I can finally try this map :D I have to say that it's awesome, well done and thank you dpitkin for sharing it. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice