1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Random FPS drop any ideas??

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by MikeyFid, Oct 28, 2013.

1. MikeyFid

MikeyFid
    Expand Collapse

Hello, for some reason while playing the game I get random FPS drops down to ~10 FPS. While not in fullscreen, I get ~100 FPS, fullscreen I get ~50 FPS.
    Fullscreen or not the FPS will drop to ~10 just randomly. Not wrecking or doing anything heavy. I could be sitting still and it drops.
    I pause physics and FPS in fullscreen doesn't change, while FPS in smaller window goes up a tad. It's just getting annoying having low FPS randomly.
    My old computer, HP, 3rd gen i5, 8gb RAM, intel HD 4000 graphics never had this problem. But that was on an old demo version..
    New computer, Toshiba, 4th gen i7 quadcore @ 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, intel HD 4600 graphics and has random FPS drop.
    I never had a problem with this game on old lower spec computer so I decided to go ahead and buy it when I got this computer. But now I get FPS drop and am kinda regretting buying it.
    I love this game though and other games I have run fine :/
    Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    All settings on low btw.

2. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

New textures loading for the first time, most likely. Drive around for a bit, and make sure to smash all the lights and windows on the car. Once that's done all the textures should be stored in your VRAM and the frame drops should go away. Alternatively, one of your components may be getting too hot and temporarily downclocking. It's good to dust out your machine on a monthly basis, if you can.

3. MikeyFid

MikeyFid
    Expand Collapse

Okay, I checked CPU usage and RAM usage while in game. It's really not eating up either, but I also checked the temp of the cores during constant crashing and bashing and it got up to ~90 C.
    The temps didn't turn yellow until about 85 C. Below that, they were in the green for temp. I am assuming it would turn red when it started getting dangerously hot, but I am not sure.
    I am also unsure of when the i7 4700MQ starts to throttle and down clock. I do have compressed air and dusted the system out even though it's only a week old.
    I am using "Core Temp" to get my readings.

4. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Most processors will throttle when they get within 5[SUP]o[/SUP]C of their maximum operating temperature, which is the cause of your drop in fps. Ensure your heatsink fins are clean, and your fan is clear of dust. Bear in mind that notebooks run hotter than desktops, so you can't expect reasonably cool temps on a CPU intensive game.

5. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

your temps need to be a lot lower.

6. MikeyFid

MikeyFid
    Expand Collapse

Well I appreciate everyone's input. Turns out CPU is throttling because of temp.. oh well. Guess it's time to save for a desktop for my games.
    I ran the Aida64 and took a screenshot for everyone to take a look at. The temp is lower at the end because I immediately shut the game off. Don't want that kind of stress on my computer.
    My laptop is a Toshiba p75-a7200 if anyone is wondering. I always have it on a hard surface for max cooling.
    Does anyone know any tricks to help CPU temp? Screenshot (8).png

7. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

External fan pads are nice, as well as keeping the room at a cooler temp overall. Funneling cold air into the intake from a portable A/C unit can get lower temps (provided you're willing to pay the extra electric and deal with that noise), as well as putting something cold (like a chemical ice pack) near the intake. Alternatively, if you are just getting a slight stutter at the moment the CPU downclocks and then it goes back to normal, you could try pemanentlly underclocking your CPU to the throttled frequency and then disabling Intel speedstep, though I wouldn't reccomend it. That's all I can think of without actually cracking open the case. Also, I'd reccomend getting some anti-dust mesh to place over your intake vent. My desktop has it on its intake vents, and after 7 months of heavy use, there still isn't even a noticable film of dust on the drive cage, and only a little bit starting to appear on the CPU cooler fan. As gimmicky as it sounds the stuff works, and kudos to Raidmax for building it into the case!

8. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

it probably just needs dust cleaned out of it

9. MikeyFid

MikeyFid
    Expand Collapse

Alright then. When I can I will pick up a cooling pad and maybe try some of those other methods.
    And @moosedicks, my computer is only a week old and my house isn't dusty so I wouldn't think dust build up would be a problem.. yet..also I have compressed air that I used just in case =]

10. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

I'd return it if my new computer was hitting 90 degrees. My old pos gateway doesn't even go over 75 in when it's been folding all night

11. MikeyFid

MikeyFid
    Expand Collapse

Well Drive is the only thing that makes it get that hot, which makes sense because this isn't a gaming laptop by any means.
    When I am web browsing and watching youtube, temps are between 38-45.
    Playing minecraft on a server with med-high settings temp is 65-70 average.
    I think that is normal for a 4700MQ, but I've never had one so I dunno..

- - - Updated - - -

I tried the game on my girlfriends Mac...not sure the specs but I know it's a dual core 2.4Ghz i5...4gb ram..it's a mid 2010 model.
    Same settings on the game, same Core Temp application used to read temp..
    Hers ran right around 80 while I played it. Not a single stutter.
    I am going to exchange my laptop tomorrow since it's within the exchange period just to be sure I didn't get a bad one.
    Gonna try Drive on it, and if I get the same readings, well, I guess I just won't play Drive on it!
    Hopefully this one has a problem and the new one will run cooler.
    I dual booted into windows with her mac btw :p
    I will post on here with my results in case any one else is having the same issue maybe it will help out.

12. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

Damn, that kinda sucks man. If I ever decide to buy a new laptop I'm going to make sure it's one with a proper cooling system. 80+ isn't comfortable for me. Hope the next one works right.

13. MikeyFid

MikeyFid
    Expand Collapse

New computer, same results. I guess this thing isn't cut out for CPU intensive gaming. The most I can get it to hit on any other game is about 75...oh well.
    Thanks for all the input though everyone.

14. SeenCreaTive

SeenCreaTive
    Expand Collapse

Are we talking desktop or laptop? All laptops have serious cooling issues, if it's a desktop, try not to game with the stock Intel cooler. Thermal paste is a good start, but really a new cooler all together, You can pick a decent cooler up for $30.
    Also Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge (like mine) and Haswell all have major heat issues, this is do to a terrible thermal compound between the actual CPU and the heat spreader (the silver top on cpus). Most people have taken the heat spreader off with a knife and replaced the internal compound with some after market stuff, does wonders.

I don't feel comfortible taking my CPU apart, so I just completely tank though it with an H80i water cooler.

15. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

It's a laptop, which most properly designed ones do not ever get that warm. I'd also like to say that most people do not risk their cpu's by taking the lid off, but the thermal compound really isn't the best. I think most people that take the top off the cpu are big into overclocking. I wonder why they don't just leave it off like an old amd cpu :D

16. SeenCreaTive

SeenCreaTive
    Expand Collapse

Laptops just overheat no matter how well designed they are, it's just a down fall of the whole idea. They want them to be as small and quiet as possible, and have the most battery life, so surface area for cooling and fans are cut as much as possible to make the body smaller and quieter and have more room for battery.

They also have to work much harder more consistently as the CPUs in laptops are generally pretty slow compared to desktops, so even more heat when running CPU intensive things.

If you're going to game I'd recommend a desktop. Cheaper, much faster, last longer, upgradable and most importantly MUCH easier to clean, which is a big deal.

And for replacing the compound in your CPU, most are fine it's just those specific Intel models that have serious problems, and I really do mean SERIOUS. On my stock clock with the stock cooler, my average gaming temp was 65C. 80-90 with games like BeamNG and Planetside 2. In a full sized tower. Now with my water cooler (H80i) and good thermal compound I still hit about 50, and it's not over clocked :l

Some people are seeing 40-50 degree drops in temps just from replacing the compound.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice