Real Ignition

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Yardee8001, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Yardee8001

Yardee8001
    Expand Collapse

I like the ''Start/Stop'' ignition system wich is currently in the game, but noone can tell me that an old Ibishu Covet has a start/stop ignition. Also, when you turn the engine off, the dash lights (f.e. Hirochi Sunburst) don't switch off and the brake lights just wait to be turned on.

The perfect ignition system would be:

>press ''E'' to turn on ignition
    -all control lights on the dash turn on for a few seconds
    -car flashes check engine light to say its ready to start up (or beeps) - - - diesels show a ''engine preheat
    symbol'' and then show they are ready
    >press and hold ''E'' till the engine has started up - - - diesels may take longer or even wont start up at cold engine block temperature (or when not heated up properly)

Little details which should be included:

>When ignition is turned off:
    -no power steering (if installed in vehicle) - for steering wheel users
    -decreased brake force -> because of brake servo
    -no brake lights, headlights or blinkers or whatever lights work
    -no RPM- or Speed-Gauge is moving

>When ignition is turned on, engine off
    -Brake- and Headlights work (or mabye only brake lights on newer vehicles in order to save power)
    -Battery light is on in order to tell the driver, he's draining the battery.

>When engine is turned on
    -everything wich is inluded in the current ''Start/Stop'' system works

I'm not saying that this system has to be included in the next update, but this would definetly raise the realism level of the game (wich is already pretty high). If the dev's actually read this then they have got a pattern on wich they could work on in the future. I don't expect a realistic battery system, but of course it would be nice!

And yes, you can damage the starter motor! :D

Sry, if my english is bad but I'm from Austria

• Agree Agree x 13
  2. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

i've always wanted separate keybinds for different ignition switch levels, or you could just set one to do them all at once (what we currently have). then i could wire up an ignition switch that could actually function in the game, not just "engine start/stop" but 3 positions on the key-turn. arcade mode would of course do it all for you, and by default each different ignition "mode" would be one button, so you start it by the push of one button, but could be changed to 3 different buttons for setups with button panels or key switches.

3. Yardee8001

Yardee8001
    Expand Collapse

What we currently have is in my opinion not a switch for engine and ignition. To me it seems like the start/stop button only turns the engine on and off (what it does) and the ignition is on the whole time.

I haven't thought about that, but in theory it would work.

4. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

we would need 3 separate functions:
    "accessory", "on", and "start"

for now, we only have "start" as far as i know, and this makes it pretty unrealistic with a key-switch (only one position can be used to start the engine, the other two positions aren't used)

5. Yardee8001

Yardee8001
    Expand Collapse

And mabye a 4th position ''no_key'' or sth.
    You could simulate a bunch of crashes with steering wheel lock

6. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

haha reminds me of a video i once saw, i think it was some kind of funny commercial, where a guy opened his trunk (with the key, and left the key in the lock) and left his car in neutral and it started rolling down a hill and he had to steal a bike to chase after it, and when he finally got into the car he couldn't turn the wheel because the key was in the tailgate.

7. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

There's a bunch of reasons this is not planned atm:
    1. Backwards compatibility: This would most likely break mods more or less
    2. Usability: We already have enough issues with UI and usability of features that a 3 (or 4) way switch kind of thing is really the last feature I want our UI people to have to deal with
    3. Complexity: Having such a complicated ignition system obviously also asks for a somewhat period correct usage which in turn makes things utterly complex to develop, test and maintain. Additionally, this seriously hinders potential our new features or extensions
    So yea, not planned for the moment.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. Yardee8001

Yardee8001
    Expand Collapse

But you could ''edit'' the current start/stop button system and add that ''the ignition'' turns off with the engine (''the ignition'' because it's probably not programmed at the moment). I mean that's how it's done in reallife ''button start'' cars.

But I'm not forcing anything

9. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Unfortunately it's really not that easy and brings along a long list of other affected things.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice