Outdated Real-Time Vehicle Editor - See new thread for Alpha 11 and above

Discussion in 'Utilities and programming' started by GregBlast, Oct 18, 2013.

?

How much interested in this would you be ?

1. Not interested

19 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. Could be useful but not to me

49 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Would eventually use it

74 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. Would probably use it

189 vote(s)
    18.5%
  5. I definitely need something like this

693 vote(s)
    67.7%
  1. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Re: Real-Time Vehicle Editor

Well that's not really up to me ^^. Would be great of course but I'm just a community guy working on some third-party application here.

2. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

And to other people it couldn't be easier. The learning curve isn't that steep.

But yeah, lets change how the game files look because it's too hard for you. Great idea.

3. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Try begging to them or something that usually works well haha

yeah I mean the current files are a bi*ch to read...I cant figure out which end is up on spring compression I mean if they had a more detailed readers manual to the files...that would be helpful...like a what this does and what it will effect...

sorry about that I mean its just tricky to read I wish you could make a converter for it so you could work out the numbers..

#43 RobertGracie, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  4. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

There is no "up" on beam preCompression. The top is fixed, and the bottom isn't. If you make preCompression 1, the beam keeps its original length. If you make it 1.5, it gets 50% longer and extends in whatever direction it's free to extend (downwards) because the top node is fixed to the vehicle. On all of my vehicles I have to have a preCompression of more than 1.0 on the springs because otherwise the car would not sit at the correct ride height (the weight of the car compresses the springs a lot).

5. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

it still gives me a headache but thanks anyway I will read up on it and what is the JBeam based off is it Java or Lua?

6. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

The JBeam format is based on JSON, which is related to Java.

7. Deleted member 31346234

Deleted member 31346234
    Expand Collapse

and Java is pretty simple.

8. deject3d

deject3d
    Expand Collapse

that's a little bit of a stretch.

json was originally derived from javascript but is otherwise a completely language-independent data format nowadays.

javascript itself copies a lot of conventions from java, but is almost completely unrelated to java.

they do indeed share the word 'java' - but that is about it.

9. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Got another quick question for Gabester (if you don't mind). The wiki stands that global modifiers (essentially scaling modifiers) should be the same in all parts. But I see that you do it differently with the Civetta. I'm assuming that it is advised to keep them the same and tweak them only if needed. Could you confirm this ?

If so I will still provide the users with the ability to make it global so that changing them on a part changes them for all of them. That way they wouldn't have to worry about them after declaring them for the first vehicle part. But int that case I'll also have to allow them to disable that feature on need.

- - - Updated - - -

I can now tell you that I am getting close to a release. A few days max is my guess if all goes well.

10. kevinmce

kevinmce
    Expand Collapse

Hey Greg, I really like the look of your tool. Its really gonna make it easier to start from scratch with the BeamNG vehicles.

It would be nice to have pre-sets for each component. E.g. (Beams: deform characteristics, detach groups, Spring/damp for suspension beams), (Nodes: Friction/Material pre-sets, Type, Groups), and so on.

Also it would be nice to have a add parts option. E.g. Add wheel would give you an input with a list of required and optional information and again possible pre-sets. Again the same for other parts such as axels/breaks/steering/suspension and so on.

Keep up the good work! Its looking really good!

11. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Good news! We recently integrated luasocket, so if you write your own lua module, you can do whatever you want from inside out: give input commands, modify vehicle on the fly, etc, etc :)

12. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

The first version will be more classical and will allow you to edit and create files and parts from named sections (like hubWheels section, beams, nodes, ...). This is because as I already said I am not yet too onfident with how to link things together. But again that will be my aim for later releases. Having presets and potential wizards is definetely what I will aim for.

- - - Updated - - -

Great ! I won't bother with that for now as I can already do a few things with 'SendKeys' such as reload the vehicle in place so that's already a good start. But will definitely look into that later. Thanks !

PS: if possible could you eventually give us a little "how to use" tutorial on the wiki ? I never tried networking in LUA yet so I don't know how it works. But I'll figure out anyways.

13. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Re: Real-Time Vehicle Editor - Alpha 0.0.0.1

Alpha version released. Check the first post for download.

14. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

I can't get it to work... Setting the path within the editor doesn't work for me, so I set it in the config file, and the vehicles don't show up :confused:

Edit: Fixed it, turns out it doesn't load any vehicles if one of them has a missing name.cs file, and you can't load a vehicle if it has a problem in the Jbeam, for instance, my buggy had bgictionCoef instead of frictionCoef, changed that and it worked :cool:

#54 DrowsySam, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  15. FastestClassic

FastestClassic
    Expand Collapse

Looks very nice! DrowsySam is right, though: some cars don't show up if there's an error in the Jbeams or if there is a missing name.cs. Also, I noticed that duplicate cars don't show up. (i.e. Sam's widebody covet)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and also, attempting to add a glowmap brings up an "unhandled application exception" or something like that.

16. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

That's right and this behaviour is intended for now so that you can more easily locate problems in existing vehicle to make them "safe" (by hand though). I could let the tool load them but the saving process might corrupt them.
    As for the "name.cs" it is a prerequisite for me so that I can give a "label" to cars (aka a display name) within the application. This is thus intended as well.

- - - Updated - - -

I made that "glowMap" control during the night a little before posting the app. I tested it a little but not that much yet. Could you detail the error by coying all data you can find in the error box ? Or maybe it's just a message box with an ok button in which case you can't do much.
    Anyways please detail your steps if you can (what vehicle you used etc...) so that I could reproduce the error more easily.

17. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

I see what you mean, but the problem I had was that, one vehicle was missing a name.cs file, so it refused to give me a list of any vehicles whatsoever. Could you perhaps make it so it just doesn't load that vehicle? Because some are missing names and they just use the folder name. :)

18. EricHamby

EricHamby
    Expand Collapse

Not able to load any cars it seems. pointed to correct path and nothing still.

19. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Try removing any unofficial cars from the game's vehicles directory and do it again. Than if it works start adding the custom ones back until it no longer works to find out which one is conflicting. If you have only official cars in the game's vehicles folder have you modified them ? If so copy them apart them delete the one from the game's vehicles folder and launch the game updater to download the original ones back.

20. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

I had the same problem, and I figured out that the Golf Cart is a problem for me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice