Outdated Real-Time Vehicle Editor - See new thread for Alpha 11 and above

Discussion in 'Utilities and programming' started by GregBlast, Oct 18, 2013.

?

How much interested in this would you be ?

1. Not interested

19 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. Could be useful but not to me

49 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Would eventually use it

74 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. Would probably use it

189 vote(s)
    18.5%
  5. I definitely need something like this

693 vote(s)
    67.7%
  1. Holland

Holland
    Expand Collapse

Re: Real-Time Vehicle Editor - Alpha 0.0.0.3

What? I don't get it? Joke right?

2. Incognito

Incognito
    Expand Collapse

:confused:
    https://www.virustotal.com/ru/file/...9d55680aa974d5e4ba744b59/analysis/1385717494/
    https://www.virustotal.com/ru/file/...61e0e5a9902b32c7c5553e36/analysis/1385717527/
    https://www.virustotal.com/ru/file/...6bfc3c51b00b7b9c0a4c14db/analysis/1385717551/

3. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Avast also warns about it. It actually did quarantine it when I first started it outside of Visual Studio. That's because of the integrated web browser. That is considered unsafe in a Windows application by most Anti-virus programs because it could "potentially" open dangerous websites and / or download things when you launch the application.

Here as you will see the only use I make of that web browser is to get to these very forums (and also my PayPal donation page ;)). But that's it. You can't even navigate yourself to any other page within the application.

EDIT:
    It's either that or because I run the game inside the editor using some native windows functionalities (or maybe the use of the registry to get the game path ?). I'm not completely sure which thing triggers that but that's all I can think of.
    The description of "SONAR Heuristic.112" is not very clear from Symantec. Have a look yourself:
    http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2013-110421-3504-99
    Risk Level 1: Very Low

In any case I suppose you get a warning because this kind of functionality could (in some applications) involve methods of trial and error to discover data from the user. This is what I understand from Wikipedia by checking the definitions for both SONAR and heuristic:
    WIKI: sonar
    WIKI: heuristic

But as you can see from Incognito's post deeper tests confirm that MY files are safe.

Other than that means it's coming from your computer.

#83 GregBlast, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  4. thevidmaster

thevidmaster
    Expand Collapse

thanks, i just think its best to be safe then sorry!

5. FZulley

FZulley
    Expand Collapse

No, there were no warnings at all.

6. Rizor.org

Rizor.org
    Expand Collapse

Thank you so much for this tool! Just used it for the first time, its awesome!

7. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Glad it helps :). I'm still working on a better version and should make a new release soon.

8. Rizor.org

Rizor.org
    Expand Collapse

Going from notepad to this is like a dream come through, would be awesome if you could have your nodes and object previewed in the editor itself

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

9. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Update alpha 0.0.0.4

Here's a new update fixing most things related to data reading / saving and allowing to do more and in a better way:

• huge refactoring of data reading / saving essentially to allow inline properties
    • some refactoring of the editing controls especially to allow removing values
    • added radio buttons to choose between global properties and inline properties on all section controls (beams, nodes, ...)
    • added flexbodies control
    • added context menu to numeric boxes to allow setting NULL or MAX (or default value) (NULL means the value won't be defined and MAX means it will be 'FLT_MAX')
    • all booleans can now be set to 'Undetermined' from a combo box to disable
    • added part configurator working mostly like the in-game one

Globally it works a lot better than before with the new architecture in place. And previous version didn't have a flexbodies control. The part configurator helps only if you don't want to launch the game to change them.

See first post for download or use this direct link.

- - - Updated - - -

Update alpha 0.0.0.5

Quick update for a few missing things in the latest one. Cameras wouldn't save because the refactoring was not complete there.
    Also I added some more error handling on vehicle loading to prevent any deep data problem to crash the tool (like a missing comma). Which will result in the following from now on:

View attachment 14984

Next thing I'll do is gonna be a video on "How to create a simple vehicle from scratch using Real-Time Vehicle Editor for BeamNG DRIVE". I will probably be using the flipramp in it.

Download still available on first post or with this direct link.

#89 GregBlast, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  10. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Re: Real-Time Vehicle Editor UPDATE - Alpha 0.0.0.5

Something is wrong here. It broke the steering of my Crown Vic, and the syntax all the files are different from original (more lines). Is it supposed to do that?

11. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

Wait, did it add an extra 2000+ lines of code? If it did, that DriveEditor thing does the same thing, and its really annoying, because I was trying to add thrusters to some cars, and the ones with the extra lines would not work.

12. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

No, it separated everything.

Like this
    Code:
        "flexbodies": [
          [
            "mesh",
            "[group]:",
            "nonFlexMaterials"
          ],
          [
            "FCV_Lightbar_a",
            [
              "fullsize_body"
            ]
          ]
        ],
        "beams": [
    it added tons of ]

13. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

Well, I redownloaded all of the vehicles, but that may be what happened. I went from 500-ish lines of code in the van to 4000-ish, so that may have been what happened. I didn't notice it at the time, because I was super new to jbeam then (I still kind of am, but I have been able to add and fix things, such as thrusters), so I was confused at why there were so many extra lines.

14. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

When you click "Save" you get a message box asking if you want to save in a readable format or not. You can choose not too to minimize the size of files. But it will not be readable. I advise you to save in a readable format until you're ready so that you can still tweak things the tool can't do with notepad eventually. Then for the final stage save using the "compressed" way.

I cannot save exactly how it was before opening. This is because I first decompose the data and once you save it has to be rebuilt all together. So you end up with new files that I create based on the data as seen by the editor. The data has to be presented in a different way to be more generic so I can give you controls that can use it.

Basically the readable format is what the json library outputs by default as indented code. It indents everything as "indenting" is a generic functionality that is applied globally. So where Gabester defines multiple node properties on a single line the tool will save them as one per line. And everything is done in the same way.

As for the non-working vehicles please let me know what you tried exactly so I can try to reproduce it and fix whatever is not yet totally right. As it stands this is still an alpha version and this is because I cannot think myself of all the different possible ways you guys would build your vehicles. Many of you will probably do things I never thougt of. That's why I need some guys to test and tell me what they found that was not working.

Please try to help me on this and I will make all I can to adapt everything so it covers as many things as possible. If something is missing just tell me. If you open a car and after saving it it doesn't work please let me know. I will try it myself with the debugger and get it working for the next release.

Also while I think about it when you get a message box please try to read what it says. I make them as a helper so you know what happens. For example if you get an error when opening a vehicle I list all I can in a message right after.

I hope you understand that this is not a really easy task for me being only a developer and not a vehicle creator. If someone would like to work with me as a tester I'd be more than glad he would.

PS: thrusters are not yet managed by the tool. I need to get a vehicle that uses some and understand how it works to make it available. I'll have a look at that soon enough.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll check with your car to see what's going wrong. As for the "[" as I said it doesn't "add" tons of it. It simply indents them. So each array start (which is this "[") takes a line of its own and its objects are defined on the next lines with an additional tabulation. Then the closing bracket goes to the next line with one less tabulation.

#94 GregBlast, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  15. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

I didn't changed anything, I just loaded the car and then tried to open some parts, but I haven't saved anything, tough the files were all modified.

16. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

I just tried with another car it doesn't save if you just open a vehicle and open parts. You must have either clicked save in the "Vehicle" menu OR right-clicked the car icon with your vehicle name under it and pressed "Yes" to save like in this screenshot:
    SaveOnClose.png

17. petlua

petlua
    Expand Collapse

Hi everybody!

This is my first post in this forum. First of all I want to thank BeamNG and the community for this great and outstanding game!
    I just love it.

The Real-Time Vehicle Editor is a powerful, time-saving tool and I really appreciate your work, GregBlast!

But there is a little problem I have: The "Update", "Commands" and "Input" buttons do not work.
    I can edit Nodes, Beams, ... . I can save changes and reload the file. Then I see the changes.

Hopefully I can get this problem fixed with your help.

Greetings,
    petlua

18. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Do you mean you could reload the files with the game launched separately ? Or was it running correctly inside of the editor ? If you didn't you should press the "Run" (blue) button prior. But if the game was running inside of the editor then maybe you have a problem with the "SendKeys" commands I'm using. This is not the best solution but that's what I have for now. Actually all the "Update" button does is execute the default shortcut for "Reload in place" So maybe you changed your shortcuts ? (it actually saves the vehicle first then does Shift+R).

Btw now that I think of it Nadeox maybe you used the "Update" button and that's why your vehicle was saved automatically.

19. petlua

petlua
    Expand Collapse

No - I did not try that.

Yes.

The "Run" button works fine. The other 3 to the right don't. (Update, Commands, Input)

That's it. Shift+R works fine (ingame in your editor). But I did not change any shortcuts.

I saved it on purpose.
    Nadeox? Who or what is that?

Thank you very much for quick and useful help :)
    Now I can go on with my projects.

20. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

I was replying to Nadeox1 at the same time ;).

Well in the case you describe it must be SendKeys not working on your computer. Are you using Windows 8 (I'm on 7) ? Do you have the .NET Framework 4.5 ?

Btw for everyone I'm doing some WPF 3D currently... and I'm getting pretty close to something good enough for nodes and beams :). WHen I'll have some more added to it and when it will be inside of the editor I will make a little presentation video. In the meantime just a screenshot of what I have and can do currently. Didn't take long to make that useless node / beam structure.
    NodeBeamEditor3D.png
    It's using the Helix 3D Toolkit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice