Outdated Real-Time Vehicle Editor - See new thread for Alpha 11 and above

Discussion in 'Utilities and programming' started by GregBlast, Oct 18, 2013.

?

How much interested in this would you be ?

1. Not interested

19 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. Could be useful but not to me

49 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Would eventually use it

74 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. Would probably use it

189 vote(s)
    18.5%
  5. I definitely need something like this

693 vote(s)
    67.7%
  1. petlua

petlua
    Expand Collapse

Re: Real-Time Vehicle Editor UPDATE - Alpha 0.0.0.5

I'm using win 7 64bit at the moment and I installed .Net Framework 4.5. Couldn't start the exe without it.

Somehow SendKeys does not work, I wonder why..

2. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Re: Real-Time Vehicle Editor UPDATE - Alpha 0.0.0.5

News - 3D editor for nodes & beam

As I already quite briefly mentioned I have been working on a 3D editor for nodes / beams. It is already mostly functional apart the fact that it doesn't yet save the nodes & beams. That's basically all I still need to do (and a few tweaks). It already loads fine existing vehicle parts. Due to a current limitation with the grid the nodes have to be snapped if I want the user to be able to select them in perspective view. But hopefully I will get to upgrade that in order not to lose precision.

NodeBeam3DEditorWorking.png

So this editor curently allows you to:
    • open nodes and beams of an existing part
    • add nodes with with mouse (snapped to grid)
    • add beams with the mouse between two nodes
    • continuously add nodes until mouse is released (to draw a nodes trail if needed)
    • switch between snapping to grid or nodes in perspective view (so that you can either add new nodes or link existing ones with beams, in 3D)
    • move each plane (X, Y and Z) so that you can add nodes above others fro mthe top view etc (and especially when working with other views, have an adapted position, lets you do everything in perspective view if needed too)
    • remove a node (holding left alt while using left mouse)
    • when removing a node, all linked beams are removed automatically
    • pan grid with right mouse (except for perspective view which uses middle mouse or shift+right mouse)
    • rotate perspective view with right mouse
    • zoom views with mouse wheel
    • change perspective FOV with left alt+right mouse
    • auto-rotate perspective view to a certain angle using the view cube
    • maximize a specific view by clicking the view label
    • show or hide the mouse cursor on orthographic views (all but perspective)

I still need to:

• allow moving nodes - DONE
    • ghost node and / or beam being added - DONE
    • as I already said, save the contents to the vehicle
    • allow moving nodes in perspective view
    • <eventually>make a "collada to xaml" importer so that I can display the 3D models and you could add nodes / beams directly on it (that's a hard one for me though, couldn't find aything really useful so far)</eventually>

This editor uses Helix 3D Toolkit for WPF and is based on the HippoDemo example available with the source code.

I should be able to release a new version soon and I will try to make a presentation video if I get the time. If you have any suggestions regarding it now is the time to throw them to me :).

I hope you will like it.

#102 GregBlast, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  3. theWOODman

theWOODman
    Expand Collapse

Re: Real-Time Vehicle Editor - NEWS: 3D Editor for Nodes & Beams

Excellent work GregBlast, the edition of a 3D editor was something I was really hoping would be added. It will help me get a better understanding of how the structure of nodes and beams should be constructed.

Would you be able to import a mesh as a node and beam structure? Just wondering so that maybe a framework could be created in a separate modeling program then imported in.

4. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

OMG, THANK YOU SO MUCH, this will make modding vehicles so much easier (beam and node wise, talking about the 3d editor) :D cant wait until its released with the editopr

5. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Now that is exactly what I was looking for!!! Way to go man!!! Keep it up!!! It looks so epic! ;)

6. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Re: Real-Time Vehicle Editor - NEWS: 3D Editor for Nodes &amp; Beams

News - Collada importing progress

Well I managed to extract meshes with their vertices and triangles out of collada files (tried with the pickup.dae file here). Could make it thanks to the CSharpCollada library. But still had to extract the data correctly based on how the xml looks like as the provided classes kind of replicate the xml format...as C# classes. So you still have to dig them to get what you want out of them.

So here's a screenshot of the extracted MESH data. Which will (if all goes well) allow me to load the meshes in the jbeam 3D editor shown above:
    ColladaImporter001.png

- - - Updated - - -

News - Loading & Saving node & beams is functional

So I did it. Nodes and beams can now be saved. Also I've changed the way the cursor was working in the perspective view to allow snapping to any point not just the grid. And in case you set the snapping to 0 or very low (which is default so that when a vehicle part is loaded it doesn't get auto-snapped) you can use the "node cursor" that moves the cursor only if you get close to a node so that you cannot miss them. Makes it very easy to draw beams from node to node in perspective view.

Here's a little screenshot showing the values of the generated nodes. You'll notice that hey have a random ID followed by a number which was the nodes count before it was added. Helps making nodes unique without having to specify an ID directly in the 3D editor (so you can keep working faster).

NodeBeamEditor3D_002.png

Note that I added an auto-refresh of data when you change tab (select the nodes tab after using the 3D editor etc...). So that after dropping a new node in the editor and going to nodes you will see it already.

To be complete I still need to:
    • allow user to select multiple nodes (can only move / delete one at once currently)
    • allow user to translate / rotate a selection of nodes (can only do it on all of them currently, or just move one)
    • differentiate beam types with different colors
    • display meshes of the 3D model but that's on the way
    • anything else ?

7. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Re: Real-Time Vehicle Editor - NEWS: Jbeam 3D Editor now saves nodes & beams

Update alpha 0.0.0.6 - Jbeam 3D Editor

This is the one with... that little addition that I called 3D editor :). Yes that's it. Now you can edit and add nodes and beams in a dedicated 3D editor which is still part of this same global application. Plus it includes a few little additional fixes.

Here's globally what you can do with the 3D editor:
    • of course load up a vehicle part inside of it
    • of course save the 3D contents as jbeam contents
    • add and remove nodes and beams with the mouse in the four classic viewports of a 3D modeling program
    • do most basic things you can do with a modeling program (rotate, pan, zoom, change FOV, set grid snapping, ...)
    • linking nodes with drag-&-drop directly creates a beam
    • in the perspective view you can use an absolute (but snapped, absolute means it uses all the world space) 3D cursor
    • or a cursor snapped to the grid only
    • or a cursor that only selects nodes (very useful to link beams in the perspective view)
    • you can paint nodes which sounds useless but...it could be useful if you use a large snap like 10 units and want to put nodes on the four corners of a square of 10 units
    • use sliders to move the grid so that you can build stuff from all views without always sticking to the same plane

Here's a global screenshot followed by a video that I posted on my dedicated channel (don't hesitate to subscribe ;)).
    View attachment 15545

Enjoy !

PS: do not attempt to use left-ctrl which was meant for selection but is not working currently. You'll probably see that nice manipulator (which I didn't make myself) but it will mess your vehicle up. Also you may encounter some errors when deleting nodes (left-alt + left-mouse). But the data should be correct after you clicked ok (5 times ? ^^). I'll fix that.

#107 GregBlast, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  8. Nish01

Nish01
    Expand Collapse

I have to say, the progress and work behind this is amazing. keep up the great work bud. its going make me feel much more confident going into the n/b system knowing there is this program. (when i actually get a model done) Thanks alot man! your time and effort is much appreciated

9. firelover

firelover
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,i have problem,if i locate BeamNG path on:C:\Program Files (x86)\BeamNG-DRIVE-0.3,Editor cant find it,and still wants game path,what is wrong please?

10. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

I need to have a look back at that to determine what could possibly be wrong. Can't tell just like that if it's coming from you or from the code.

11. firelover

firelover
    Expand Collapse

Ok,i looking forward for final version of this prog ;-)

#111 firelover, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  12. ultranew_b

ultranew_b
    Expand Collapse

Re: Real-Time Vehicle Editor - UPDATE 0.0.0.6: Jbeam 3D Editor now saves nodes & beams

Awesome work !

13. estama

estama
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Re: Real-Time Vehicle Editor - UPDATE 0.0.0.6: Jbeam 3D Editor now saves nodes & beams

Very nice work GregBlast. I'am constantly amazed with the ingenuity that people like you have.

Thanks for amazing me.

14. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Just great.
    With the 3D editor working, a feature that shows the node names would be good.

Also, I notice the weird names the program automatically gives the newly created nodes/beams.
    An idea I had was to prompt a node "prefix" for all the nodes you are going to create. For example the prefix is TEST, all the nodes created will be TEST_1, TEST_2 or stuff like that. And having an hotkey to create a new prefix, so you can distinguish nodes by groups.

15. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Of course I thought about displaying nodes names and will if I can. As for the generated names it uses a built in .NET function to generate a random name. I add 'new' plus the current node count when it was added so you have some info about it.

The problem with prompting is it would be pretty annoying and slow down your work a lot. For example you couldn't use the node painting feature.

Anyways thanks all for your feedback !

16. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Why not? The prompt would spawn only for the first node you add, then when you press the key to recall it.
    For the painting, when you add your first node, it ask the prefix, then it will name all the nodes PREFIX_1, 2,3,etc.

17. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

The problem is the number at the end. If you decide to delete a node then or modify the name of one you break the counting logic. That counting logic is not intended for preserving uniqueness as it can easily be broken any time. That's why I give a random unique name.
    But I will eventually add some input features in a menu bar from the 3D editor to generate node IDs that will check that the ID is unique before validating it. Ais switch to the next available one if not. That would be viable.

18. mustang5

mustang5
    Expand Collapse

Re: Real-Time Vehicle Editor - UPDATE 0.0.0.6: Jbeam 3D Editor now saves nodes &amp; beams

Hi looking good! But can you tell me what exactly is NET Framework 4.5

#118 mustang5, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  19. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Re: Real-Time Vehicle Editor - UPDATE 0.0.0.6: Jbeam 3D Editor now saves nodes &amp; beams

Imagine it like DirectX for games, some requires you to update it and stuff.
    NET is the the package of files required to run certain apps.

20. Ky

Ky
    Expand Collapse

Item with same key?

Hi, first I'd like to thank you for making this program; It looks awesome and so helpful. I look forward to the replacement of notepad :D

But, I can't edit my latest project (Lotus Carlton)

When I go to load the vehicle directory, I get an error message saying, "an item with the same key has already been added."

It is based on the "fullsize" Gavril Grand Marshal, if that helps. Maybe I copied over a vehicle 'vin' and that's messing with they way it loads the database?

I notice this happens in-game. Whenever one my mods loads a texture from the game dds files, they aren't displayed on the vehicle it was designed for (like the for the fullsize or pickup)

Until I get it fixed, I guess I'll stick with notepad.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice