Outdated Real-Time Vehicle Editor - See new thread for Alpha 11 and above

Discussion in 'Utilities and programming' started by GregBlast, Oct 18, 2013.

?

How much interested in this would you be ?

1. Not interested

19 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. Could be useful but not to me

49 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Would eventually use it

74 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. Would probably use it

189 vote(s)
    18.5%
  5. I definitely need something like this

693 vote(s)
    67.7%
  1. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Re: Real-Time Vehicle Editor - UPDATE 0.0.0.8: Critical update ! (errors & 3D editor)

If you want you can PM me and I'll debug it out with you. In the meantime were you able to load your vehicle prior ? Did you use the "Update" button and was it after that that it broke ? That error means that something somewhere in the jbeam is not well written like a missing parenthesis or something like that. But I can't tell like this if it was your mistake or mine ;). I need further information.
    Please PM me I'll help you out.

- - - Updated - - -

Update alpha 0.0.0.9 - BIG update (3D edition + fixes)

Finally I can release this one. Was the whole evening on it again from 6pm to 2am heh.

This is a major update that as I had already mentioned in this thread includes the possibility to create triangles in the 3D editor and also display 3D models of types .obj/.3ds//lwo (no collada support yet sorry :( ). I also fixed and upgraded plenty of little things in the 3D editor and added a few shortcuts. Let me know if you need more of them and which ;).

Also I decided to stop forcing users to log in to the forums when starting the tool. And the donate button opens in the default browser rather than within the editor (for security matters I can understand).

Here's the full change list:
    - fixed incorrect position of node ids leading to them staying after node deletion
    - fixed node deletion on mouse release causing the removal of two parts instead of one
    - fixed grid size not changing with the slider
    - added the possibility to display 3D models of some supported types (not collada yet)
    - added shortcut to change cursor type (V)
    - added shortcuts to change snapping (X, C)
    - fixed crash when creating first node using prefix
    - fixed flexbody buttons that could disappear sometimes
    - fixed auto-closing of group properties not always working
    - added definition of triangles in the 3D editor
    - added way to remove triangles within 3D editor
    - fixed beam control properties losing focus on input leading to impossibility to enter a value at once (focus was lost on every key stroke)
    - added possibility to select nodes from other parts when displayed (yeah node cursor lets you grab em too now !)
    - added possibility to add beams between different parts (of course you needed the ability to link nodes from different parts then, there it is)
    - added possibility to add triangles with nodes from different parts (same there)
    - added possibility to change value scale (still 10 times actual values by default until I can get everything working fine without having to do it)
    - added possibility to scale 3D model (I'm not sure what scale I should apply so default is 1 and you can change it on the fly with a slider if needed)
    - removed forced forum login at app start
    - changed donate button to open in default browser by default rather then within the applicatiion

And the usual release screenshots:

LinkingPartsTogether.png
    Illustration of linking a node from the chassis with a node from the body (on the Moonhawk).

ModelInEditor.png
    Illustration of showing a 3D model inside the editor (model from rmikebaker).

That's it for this release. I now spend quite a lot of time on it (more than 5 hours a day recently heh) for free ;). If you like the tool and want to help rentabilizing it please don't hesitate to use my donate button or click this link for the same result.

Thanks to those who helped me go further by providing information or material.
    For this release I want to thank especially:
    gmaksi83, rmikebaker, Nadeox1

I'll get working on some videos this week-end hopefully.

#141 GregBlast, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  2. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

Re: Real-Time Vehicle Editor - BIG UPDATE 0.0.0.9: 3D model + triangles + multi-part linking + ...

this is cool. but i have a question. I am making a car but it doesnt show up in the car picker menu. what files need to be in the cars folder for it to work?

3. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Re: Real-Time Vehicle Editor - BIG UPDATE 0.0.0.9: 3D model + triangles + multi-part linking + ...

In earlier versions (before 8) I was requesting the dae (model) file to be present. Now I just require a jbeam file with the name of the vehicle which means the same name as the folder it's in (folder_name.jbeam).

4. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

EDIT 2
    just got it working. Renamed body.jbeam to bus.jbeam

EDIT:
    what do you mean by "Now I just require a jbeam file with the name of the vehicle which means the same name as the folder it's in"

OLD:

thats weird. i have that
    this is everything in my cars folder, anything i am missing? cause it still doesnt show up in the editor
    notowrk.png

5. BoaMan

BoaMan
    Expand Collapse

I think you need to rename the jbeam file to 'bus' as well as the model. IE /bus/bus.jbeam as your jbeam, and /bus/bus.dae as your model

6. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

thanks i just did that and it worked.

EDIT
    gosh dangit.
    an error that i have no idea what it is!
    do i have an error on line 45 in my jbeam?
    notowrk.png

7. BoaMan

BoaMan
    Expand Collapse

No problem, I had a very similar problem the first time I tried the program. Good luck with whatever your doing!

8. chevy65

chevy65
    Expand Collapse

Man I love this Tool, I will be sure to donate as often and as much as i can on my paydays. Keep up the great work.

9. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

3D editor Functionality recap

Before I am asked because I will get asked... here's a full recap of what you can currently do (as of V0.0.0.9) with the tool.

There are plenty of simple combinations you can use to do all the simple things in the editor:

To easily select a node check "Node cursor" (or switch cursor with V) then hover a node.
    To snap to grid change the "Snap" value accordingly (or use X or C to increase or descrease view keyboard).
    To create a node check "Add node" and click somewhere.
    To create a beam check "Add beam" and drag-&-drop from a node to the other.
    To create a triangle check "Add triangle" and click 3 nodes (counter-clockwise).
    To mode a node check "Add node" and hold left shift and drag-&-drop a node.
    To delete a node check "Add node" and hold left alt and click a node (note that any linked beam from the same vehicle part is deleted as well).
    To delete a triangle check "Add triangle" and click the 3 node of a triangle (counter-clockwise).
    To create nodes continuously check "Add node" and "Paint nodes" then click and hold to paint nodes (release mouse to end) => can be useful with big snapping.
    To automatically create beams between your new nodes check "Add node" plus "Add beam". A node is creted when you click and another one when you release your mouse. And a beam between them.

Here's the use for what remains:

Check "3D cursor" to be able to move the cursor freely in 3D.
    Uncheck both "3D cursor" and "Node cursor" to use a snapped-to-grid cursor in perspective view.
    Check "Show mouse cursor" to see the windows cursor in 2D views (hidden by default, only visible in perspective for ease of use).
    Change the "Grid size" to get a larger / smaller grid (doesn't affect the interline, square size).
    Open the right panel with the little arrow pointing left in a circle to open the parts panel.
    In the parts panel check all the parts from which you want to see the nodes and beams.
    In the parts panel use "Select all" or "Deselect all" to toggle all parts easily.
    You can add beams and triangles using nodes of different parts as they are all interpreted as just 3D points. Just avoid having multiple nodes at the same position then.
    Open the right panel with the little arrow pointing right in a circle to access all options.
    Use the sliders next to each 2D view to move the grid along their respective axis. This will help you make changes in other 2D views.
    In the options panel under "Node options" set a prefix and check "Use prefix" to prefix your nodes.
    In the options panel under "Node options" > "Node names" check "Show" to show node IDs (uncheck to not show, they'll be barely visible).
    In the options panel under "Colors" change any color you want to change (they'll be restored on next startup).
    In the options panel under "Sizes" you can change the "radius" of displayed nodes.
    In the options panel under "Sizes" you can change the thickness of displayed beams.
    In the options panel under "Sizes" you can change the size of the node IDs.
    In the options panel under "Sizes" you can change the length of the pins pointing to node IDs (to change the distance between the IDs and their respective node).
    Check "Show model" to display any obj/3ds/lwo model you would have in the vehicle folder with the vehicle name.
    Click "Reload" to reload everything.
    Change the "Model scale" to scale the model.
    Change the "Value scale" to change the multiplier applied to node positions (node positions are multiplied by 10 by default, 10 squares on the grid means 1 unit, remember this !!!).

View interface:

Click the view name "Top", "Right", "Front" or "Perspective" to maximize a view.
    Use right mouse to rotate in perspective view or pan in 3D views.
    Use middle mouse to pan in any view.
    Use mouse wheel to zoom in and out.
    Double-click middle mouse in perspective view to zoom completely out.
    Use the cube in lower right corner in perspective view to rotate exactly to a side.
    Use left ctrl + right mouse to change the FOV.

For any property like beam type etc for now you have to go to the respective views in the tool (the nodes tab or beams tab etc...). Add a property and tings like that as I shows on my first video on my YouTube channel here.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow that's very generous of you. Thanks a lot for your interest and support :).

- - - Updated - - -

You need to check the "nodes" section of the "bus.jbeam" file in the "bus" part at line 45 around character 18. There could be a missing comma or wrong character. It's probably a simple typo like that.

#149 GregBlast, Jan 4, 2014
  10. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

its not any different then the rest and when i comment out that line, it says line 44 has an error
    edit:
    heres a pic of line 45
    Untitled.png

#150 Narwhal, Jan 4, 2014
  11. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Maybe it's not exactly on line 45. But as the error (which is not from me btw but from the reader) shows it should be on the 30th node. I can check myself if you want but I'd need more than a few nodes... If I could I would just tell you what it is. And by the way the misplaced character is said to be a "0".

- - - Updated - - -

I think I'll need to do some more work with 3D models haha. Fortunately I included a "scale" feature. However it would also require a "rotate" feature in some cases.
    ModelsProblem.png
    Flipramp converted from dae to obj using http://www.greentoken.de/onlineconv/.

12. Rand0mPsych0

Rand0mPsych0
    Expand Collapse

Not everything is perfect on the first try, I love the new feature to import models.

13. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

For the next release I already added a manipulator to allow moving and rotating the model. Also do not delete triangles from the 3D editor because it's buggy currently. Go to the triangles tab to do so. Adding works fine though.
    I just finished making the Flip Ramp from scratch. Am currently editing the video and then I upload it :).

- - - Updated - - -

Update alpha 0.0.0.10 - Quick 3D update

This is a quick update including the features I used in the video below: Creating the Flip Ramp from scratch. This includes the following changes:

- added possibility to freeze the 3D cursor (use E) => you need to do this if you want to use a manipulator or you will always select the cursor itself !
    - added possibility to rotate and move the 3D model (with a manipulator, don't forget to freeze the 3D cursor first)
    - added shortcuts for "Add node", "Add beam" and "Add triangle" (1,2 and 3 number keys above letters, use shift in Europe)
    - added possibility to copy resources from a vehicle to the folder of another one. Pretty handy when creating a new vehicle that needs the resources of another.

As a tutorial I decided to make a video where I create the Flip Ramp from scratch. I just copy the resources from the original one using a little technique I added (described above).

As always you'll find the download on the first page or you can grab it directly using this link.

#153 GregBlast, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  14. rmikebaker

rmikebaker
    Expand Collapse

Another great update Greg !!!

For this pic, I imported the box truck into Blender, assigned a 50% transparent material to the frame, exported the frame along with the material (.OBJ/.MTL), and then placed the resulting two files in the 'van' folder of BeamNG. The part I have selected in RTVE is the engine, which you can see in relation to the frame mesh.

This is awesome !!! Great work !!! :cool:

Attached Files:

• RTVE-0.0.0.10-Van-Frame.png
  15. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Btw I'm sure you noticed the weird nodes on that engine lol. Do you know why they are like that ? I don't think it's an error from the editor as it works fine for other parts like the body for example.

16. rmikebaker

rmikebaker
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I did notice that. I haven't figured out exactly why though. The node values seem to be correct in the node list, and in the right place in the 3D editor, but the beams don't seem to show in the right place. I'll keep looking.

Also, I discovered the 'transparent' mesh objects don't reveal nodes/beams behind them :(

17. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Yeah it's like another model if you want and it's not like a game world where everything is working together. The good thing about that though is that it makes it easier to select the correct nodes when you have a model or triangles hiding the ones behind. And also you can use the model to place your nodes as I check hit tests with it too. In the Flip Ramp video you can see that I'm using the 3D cursor and just place the nodes onto the model itself. But you can also see that for some I was putting them on the manipulator haha. Will remove the manipulator from the hit test list.

The same way you can use this technique to create nodes directly on a beam in the perspective view. You can change the beam thickness in the right panel to make it easier.

18. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

Re: Real-Time Vehicle Editor - UPDATE 0.0.0.10: Showing how to "jbeam" the Flip Ramp from scratch

It's easier to place nodes in notepad as I can just copy and paste existing ones and change a couple coords. Is there a way to do this in the editor?

edit: also my model doesn't show up but I'm not sure if I'm doing that right.

This is way better than making all the beams in notepad

#158 moosedks, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  19. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Re: Real-Time Vehicle Editor - UPDATE 0.0.0.10: Showing how to "jbeam" the Flip Ramp from scratch

Well for the moment it's not YET possible to copy-paste or move multiple nodes. But it will be as it's kind of on my priority list. You can change the coords by hand in the 'Nodes' tab though.

Is your model an 'obj', '3ds" or 'lwo file ? I can't display Collada models currently. For the Flip Ramp I used a converter to get a '.obj' out of it.

Thanks for your feedback. Don't forget you can make the triangles in the 3D editor as well.

20. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

ah, I had it as a .dae. thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice