Released Realistic Headlight Patterns

Discussion in 'Mods and Skins' started by Jfef, Feb 20, 2022.

1. DamienDutch

DamienDutch
    Expand Collapse

Yeah the headlights on it stock are awful

• Like Like x 2
  2. fabio

fabio
    Expand Collapse

Of course he'll update, just give him enough time to do so. He has school and stuff, which is more important. :)

Bryan139746825, just take your time. :)

-Fabio

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jfef

Jfef
    Expand Collapse

Yep, im on it now. With it ill also fix a few problems :)
    --- Post updated ---
    upload_2022-6-16_12-13-36.png
    got the headlights to work :) its the etk800 beams. now i just need to fix some problems and make some minor adjustments and when thats done, ill release it.
    --- Post updated ---
    Alright I uploaded the new version :) Forgor that the offroad version of the new car existed and did some last minuite changes.

• Like Like x 4
  4. fabio

fabio
    Expand Collapse

Exuse my language, but f*ck yeah, Well done. :D

-Fabio

• Like Like x 2
  5. WarDaddyUSA

WarDaddyUSA
    Expand Collapse

Great job on this!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jfef

Jfef
    Expand Collapse

It was quite tedious and I thought I had to restart the game for every slight change I made but i found out that i can edit the jbeam while the game was open. Still need to restart the game sometimes but saved a hella lot of time.

7. fabio

fabio
    Expand Collapse

That's awesome.

One question for you Bryan: Did you consider maybe to start collecting donations? :) I'm more than happy to reward your effort. :)

8. robert357

robert357
    Expand Collapse

Revisiting this problem there is my idea to improve FPS (or rather keep everything consistent).

Graphic settings: light on ultra (for PBR), shadows for all and I spawned few cars. In game for now only player's headlights will cast shadows.

First test:
    Bluebuck, facelifted Moonhawk and old Pessima

performance.png
    For all of them when we turn on high beams performance plummeted because of two things: CPU now have too much to work (look at that cyan colour) and that impact the physics and GPU can't keep up with CPU anymore (that seablue colour which is ShadowMap).

Then I tested few cars with single headlamp:
    Older Moonhawk with round lamps, ETK K-series and Miramar.

Results are when we turn on high beams performance are the same as for low beams.

I know light patterns for older cars have at least two light cones that imitate brighter centre. So this is my idea.

idea.png

Orange triangle is light pattern, green one is that brighter centre which is separate light cone. Instead of adding another light cones that game need render shadow (as we see above it ruin performance) let make separate light pattern that would imitate both low and high beam being turned on and use it as one. This can improve performance a lot.

9. fabio

fabio
    Expand Collapse

So if I understand correctly, it should be used only one ''picture'' for one beam pattern? So putting two together should be done with PS for better performance and the same result? :)

10. robert357

robert357
    Expand Collapse

Exactly. Instead of two lights with separate texture there should be one texture that imitates low and high beam. In game it's impossible to break only one lamp anyway so there is really no need to separate them.

11. fabio

fabio
    Expand Collapse

Okay, now I know what you thought. I think this is gonna be though, because every light has its own light output. Also you wouldn't get realistic pattern in my opinion. I think that NFS Heat has that way you described.

12. robert357

robert357
    Expand Collapse

I know, but as you see on performance graph it's big issue for people that don't have beefy PC. There is a mod that adds lights on West Coast USA and you can download normal version with shadows and performance version without shadows. Same can be done here. Normal version with separate lights and performance with combined lights.

13. fabio

fabio
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I know, even my 1080ti starts to sweat when I turn on the lights. :D I'm sure Bryan will figure this out properly. :)

14. WarDaddyUSA

WarDaddyUSA
    Expand Collapse

I’ve had severe performance issues with my police lighting but I was able to fix it by disabling shadows. That will give you some FPS back. (If you do have shadows enabled).

Might want to change the res of the light texture as well.

Just some things that might help performance for this mod.

15. John0090

John0090
    Expand Collapse

I've got a fairly beefy PC if you ever need someone to help test things for you I am always playing beam on my sparetime haha

16. Jfef

Jfef
    Expand Collapse

Alright so I left to sleep and I came back to some brilliant ideas.

As for donations, It would be nice but I dont want to burden people :) Also this is my first time ever doing any modding and your help meant a lot to me. In other words, no need to donate, but if you really wanted to then id greatly apreciate it but I still dont have any methods of accepting donations.
    Here is a btc adress if you really really think i deserve it :) (15wHDk3Fij6nF2SVKAA4cU5oMdFoSTjCzN)

Now for this, I understand. For the cars like the pessima, it has 4 textures per headlight. 1 for low beam, 1 to make make the center brighter, which is the headlight flares and their filename is "--headlight_f.dds" and same goes with the highbeams. This way if one side of the headlight breaks, the other stays perfectly fine. However, if we only used one of the smaller brigher beam in the middle, it will be projected from either one of the headlights. So if one breaks, then the entire bright portion of the headlight dissapears.
    For the ETK 800 and ETK K series, you can see there is 2 projectors on either headlights and each actually projects their own beams. For the ETK 800, there is no headlight flares but there is headlight flares for the ETK K.
    Now the ETK K has 5 beams textures on each headlight and it seems to perform better then the pessima. And each of those beams has a tex size of 512, I think tex size is the texture resolution and ill try decrease it to see if it gives any performance uplift. So I think it might be the colors thats causing all of this but Ill have to figure that out.
    In terms of my performance, I find that cars with halogen headlights impact fps the most. Examples are the pessima, ETK I, roamer, d-series etc. Meanwhile the ETK K and others only reduce my fps by about 5 at most. And for those wondering, my system has an i7 4790k, 16gb ram and a gtx 970. At 1440p ultrawide (3440x1440) and with ultra lighting, I get about 50 ish fps on wcusa and with the ETK K, that reduces my fps to about 45 ish but with the pesima, it stutters a lot more.

Now I have been trying to change the resolution of the textures by changing the "texSize" from 1024 to 512 then to 256 and so on, but I havent noticed a change in fps. But that wasnt in a fully scientific environment so ill have to try it again.

Thank you, if I ever need to test something Ill contact you. But for the most part ill test it on both my pc and macbook. My pc is considered kinda "low end" by todays standards and it will be a good baseline. So if it can get good fps, then other people with better specs can run it no problem. As for my mac, yeah maybe an i9 is too much for it, game stutters like hell lol.

Anyways, thanks guys for all of the suggestions. Ill start working on it now as I have nothing better to do for the next month :) Hope you all have an amazing day

Lastly, I have a small question which isnt related with this mod.
    So im looking forward to upgrading my pc, will my 4790k be enough for a 3060ti? Eventually Ill have to change the cpu too but for now my plans is to upgrade the gpu first then the rest. If anyone has a 3060ti, is it good enough for a 3440x1440 display? Thank you :)
    --- Post updated ---
    Alright so I did some testing with the pessima and I found some things. Did it on west coast usa and pointed the car straight to a cliffside whith grass, trees and other things.
    upload_2022-6-17_8-6-1.png
    This is with all the lights off.

upload_2022-6-17_8-6-21.png
    With the highbeams
    Those were with the stock headlights.
    Now there is another one which is called the "high intensity headlight" and the color is closer to an led white color.
    upload_2022-6-17_8-7-36.png
    again with no lights

upload_2022-6-17_8-7-52.png
    and with highbeams.

And just now the ETK K
    upload_2022-6-17_8-9-15.png
    again with no lights, 1 fps higher then the pessima

upload_2022-6-17_8-9-38.png
    with highbeams.

This was on the same exact spot just changed the cars. 2 fps difference between the pessima with the old yellow halogen headlights compared to the newer white led lights and the etk k, despite having 1 more beam texture still has the same fps figure as the pessima with the led lights. Both have the same tex size of 512. Now Im gonna try to reduce that to 256 or 128.
    Pessima:
    upload_2022-6-17_8-13-38.png
    with no lights at all

upload_2022-6-17_8-14-29.png
    with highbeams, fps fluctuates between 41 and 42.

WIth a tex size of 128, which is only a quarter of the original. The fps pretty much stayed the same so I think its the color which impacts the fps quite a bit.

Oh and, I had a bunch of stuff in the background but nothing changed that much so I guess its quite accurate.
    --- Post updated ---
    I tried it again with a grand marshal, this time on the highway in the evening. Without any lights, 41fps, with highbeams it goes down 8 fps which gives me about 33 ish fps in the end. So I think its the colors and that its hard to shade the yellow ish colors. But its quite inevetible because if I make it lighter, then it wont look like halogen bulbs and every car would have led's.

#136 Jfef, Jun 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  17. notpee

notpee
    Expand Collapse

that may or will introduce a bottleneck because your CPU might be unable to keep up with the GPU

18. Jfef

Jfef
    Expand Collapse

I tried it again with a grand marshal, this time on the highway in the evening. Without any lights, 41fps, with highbeams it goes down 8 fps which gives me about 33 ish fps in the end. So I think its the colors
    Yeah, I expected that lol. What cpu do you think will go well with it? Specifically ill use it for beamng :) And in my country, an i5 12600k and a ryzen 7 5800x costs the same, which one is better?

19. Justin740

Justin740
    Expand Collapse

You are absolutely amazing. Thank you so much for making night driving possible. I'd be happy to donate some too, u deserve it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. notpee

notpee
    Expand Collapse

I would go for the 5800x imo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice