Reduce the left and right margins on desktop forum a bit! (opinion)

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Michaelflat, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

As shown in the image by the blue bit, it's just so much wasted space. I wouldn't mind if it was only when it was big, but even resizing the window, the margins are still there. They need to go!
    *edit* they do go after a lot of resizing, but they shouldn't be there in the first place imo

Attached Files:

• beamwebsitetoobig.png
  2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

No, there is very good reason for it too.

Paste some text to notepad, then try to read it at full screen.

There is certain length of line which after it becomes harder to read, so forums generally try to keep that width, some better, some worse, but empty space is added to have that line length enough short.

If borders were gone, then things would very quickly be far apart, lines would be too long to read comfortably etc.

That said, it perhaps could do bit better job to keep line length constant, but it is much better than without borders.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

Very much so with larger monitors.

4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Wikipedia has some irony in it, their line length is rather long for my liking, which you can see below, where article says 75 is maximum:
    upload_2018-10-1_22-21-45.png

But there is more to it, still it has been researched a lot and keeping line length shorter is somewhat based on science.

Wikipedia above would be even worse if I would not use tree view tabs which takes good chunk from left side of browser, which is neat way to lessen borders of course while not loosing, but actually gaining workspace.

5. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Actually i see your point, at 1080p on a 24in monitor, full screen it is perfect, but when you shrink the window down, i want the margins to shrink before the lines tbh. Grr you really threw a spanner into the works, now i can't decide as imagining a full left to right block of text is not good on the eye at all! :p

6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Imagine looking 27" monitor close up, that is turning head for each line.

I don't like much of things that are around edges of screen, much prefer them to be wonderfully cluttered manner in center lower part of the screen.

However 27" is good when eyes have permanent Anti aliasing applied.

I have thought about 40-50" 4K screen, it would give more workspace, while retaining font size, but I'm afraid it would be bit hard on my neck...
    --- Post updated ---
    There is some information if anyone is interested to dig more about it:
    https://www.paulolyslager.com/optimal-text-layout-line-length/

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice