[request] change how beamng updating process works

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Bzucko, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Bzucko

Bzucko
    Expand Collapse

BeamNG game files are packed into large zip files. Even small update is mostly causing that many those files needs to be repacked during update process.
    Steam client is preallocating all changed files at once before the update process starts, which in worst case is causing that double the space of the entire game is needed on disk during updating(last minor update(90MB) for example).

So, if you can change the updating process in the future, it would be nice, e.g. create some post-script which will be repacking one by one zip file; or force steam to not allocate space for all the changed files at once; or split updates to smaller parts; or simply keep game files out of the zip files;...

Please let me/us know what could be done in the future.

I would be never asking for this kind of request, but keeping plenty of free space on SSD drive is rare these days, when games are hungry. BeamNG game will be larger and larger anyway and updating will need more and more time and additional free space, if minor/major updates will be affecting many zip files.

As a temporary solution I created symbolic link from steam download folder and placed it somewhere else with more free space, but this is really temporary solution, it will not make the update process smarter for the future.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

A bit of a bump but yeah, this would be nice if possible.

The last 1GB update allocated 10GB of space on my SSD, and another previous update allocating almost 100GB of disk space
    BeamNG is the only game that does this in my Steam library.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice