Request for information on power states of the vehicle

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Snoigel, Mar 3, 2022.

1. Snoigel

Snoigel
    Expand Collapse

Hey all,
    I would really like to make vehicle power states a thing. By that I mean I would like to make it so that when the engine stalls it stays in Ignition, and all you have to do is activate the engine starter. There should be four total states of the engine, but I only need 3.
    1. Off, no power to the vehicle whatsoever.
    2. Accessories are on (Not Needed)
    3. Ignition, everything is on, except the engine is not running.
    4. Engine Starter active, makes it so that the engine starter motor is active. This is a momentary state.
    I want to be able to create a mod (or find a mod) that allows the engine to be in state 1, 3 and 4. Any ideas on how to get started? I've been looking into figuring out how this modding works. I have been coding arduinos for years but nothing to do with games. So lua and json are pretty new to me.

I am requesting this information so I can make a working 4 position ignition switch from a car communicate properly with the game. As of current: I have the 4th position (which is a momentary action) hooked up to an arduino input device and running as a joystick for one button. I mapped this button to the engine start button in the settings. This is not ideal as when the car is to be turned off I have to hit the 4th position.

2. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Hi,
    My once turbulent and 'notorious' mod, the CTK 28-Series, does 1, 3 and 4.
    The ignition state of the original game is very hard coded and difficult to allow for the true ignition states of the vehicles, which has been desired by many in the past. We must understand that BeamNG was initially designed to simulate soft body physics and if I'm not mistaken the devs won't go thru the trouble of redoing the ignition states without proper battery energy levels (of which are roots of its making to discover in the core files) and what not added to that, something that may or may not make it to the game in the future, who knows :)
    My CTK is provided with many dedicated control bindings, as well as in the vehicle specific menu as in the general menu. The ones in the general menu, as where you can find its ignition settings (ign on, ign off), are marked with [ctk28] in front of the binding names.
    The CTK still works in latest version (minus a few minor details which became outdated thru the game updates over time). So after spawning you sometimes might want to set ignition off or just press ctrl+r. This mod remains only in certain channels. I can hook you up with it thru pm, provided that you don't share without permission. If you put the CTK on a hill in 1st (or whatever) gear and release the e-brake the car won't run. Also the lights (+ turning signals), if they where switched on, stop working except for hazards and parking lights. If the lights or turn signals where switched on they will work again after ignition is set to 'on' again. If you don't use the 'autostart' binding the starter needs to be bound separately and will only go with 'ignition on'. The car has also rear fog lights, separate headlight and separate high beam controls to bind. You are free to learn from these mod files, yet beware that there's a lot of iceberg below the sea level :p

TLDR - yes kinda true ignition system without simulated battery energy state, but a huge workaround​

#2 NOCARGO, Mar 3, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice