Unsolved Respawnable checkpoints? and track texturing

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by trustedbubble19, Jun 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. trustedbubble19

trustedbubble19
    Expand Collapse

I'm working on a scenario pack to bring some more Trackmania tracks into beamng. Now that I'm done with school for the summer and actually have time for this, but I've run into three questions when it comes to creating scenarios in beamng drive.

1.) Is it still possible to create checkpoints that you can respawn at, Instead of resetting the whole scenario? I thought I remembered a mod doing this about a year ago, but I can't quite figure it out. If someone could help me figure this out and is willing to teach me (even though I'm brand new to modding and coding) or at least show me how I would be eternally grateful.

2.) How do I add custom textures to objects in the beamng world editor? (Or at least apply vanilla textures to objects) I'm trying to add textures to the track I built using the track builder but I can't seem to get it to work.

3.) In Trackmania there's always a ghost car to chase and compare times to, Would something like that be possible? Something like a car with a pre-programmed route that has collisions turned off so it could guide you and give you some competition so you know how well or poorly you're doing.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and any help would be appreciated!

#1 trustedbubble19, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  2. HighDef

HighDef
    Expand Collapse
    Game Design, QA and burnouts.
    BeamNG Team

I think that (at the moment) the answer is no to all questions. I would love to have checkpoints in the waypoints for some of my scenarios. You can apply texture to the road editor roads but not the track editor roads. Ghost car tech is not implemented as of yet. Again I am pretty sure but I'm no expert.

3. RyvyLo

RyvyLo
    Expand Collapse

I'd like to add more details for your 1st question :

The mods you were thinking about were made by @Scepheo and were powered by his mod bnse, which is now broken due to functions in the game changing names or disapearing.
    I think it could be possible to bring back respawnable checkpoints, but it's no small task. Either spend days understanding, finding what's broken and how to replace broken parts on bnse, or I think it might be possible to write some code from scratch that could do it (but I have some spots where I'm not sure if it's possible, like detecting when the player want to reset and telling the game to execute my code instead of restarting the scenario)
    TL;DR : Probably possible, but very hard and probably out of your reach as you are new to coding, and could get broken at each Beam update

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice