1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Respect to Devs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FaceyDuck, Aug 7, 2020.

1. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

I didn't notice how awful (no offence to Gabester) the interior of the Roamer was until I saw the remaster. Mind you I did notice the issue of 4 window switches on each door ages ago, aware this was because the interiors were probably modeled in halves or the door cards were flipped.
    This is making me excited for what the final D Series, H Series, Grand Marshal and quite a few other "early to mid Gabester Era" vehicles have in store.

#21 ktheminecraftfan, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Well, I'm pretty sure the devs are working on it. Also, they can charge however as much as they want for it.

3. Franz027

Franz027
    Expand Collapse

i wanna thank the developers of this game to make everyday a fantastic work with this, and i hope this game will exist for ever. i love this game

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. MrCin

MrCin
    Expand Collapse

i can only dream of the time we get career mode
    buying cars with varying levels of conditions for various prices,
    modifying the car to your taste,
    and participating in events,
    i know i'm basically describing a modern slrr but slrr is a damn good game that deserves a remaster
    and beamng career mode might be just that

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Back in maybe 2013 that's more or less how one dev described it, "SLRR but with more types of racing"

• Like Like x 2
  6. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Devs for this epic game, keep the updates coming and keep us all surprised!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. B3_Burner

B3_Burner
    Expand Collapse

I too echo the sentiment of giving the developers the due respect that they deserve. It's hard when you're a small fish in a large pond, trying to get by in a huge, huge industry, where the interest is relatively niche.

That being said, I'm curious how do they handle the multitude of bug and problem observations that have flooded the forums in the past x number of days, since the new version came out?

I wouldn't call it "complaining" per say, because it's important they know things are broken/missing/buggy, etc.

It's just... how do they have time to read all our feedback? How do they decided how to prioritize what's most important to address first? How do they work through the solutions in a timely enough fashion, that the V0.XX.yy minor updates can be sent out, that will help people?

I personally would feel so overwhelmed if I had to face this vast amount of inquiry and then come up with a way to solve the problems. I don't know how they do it, so my hat's off to them. I'm not an SDK "peek behind the curtain" kind of guy. I'm just a lowly end-user. But I understand what's going on enough to be impressed with their efforts.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. den_chik

den_chik
    Expand Collapse

Because their WORK. And they do it planning great.

• Like Like x 1
  9. B3_Burner

B3_Burner
    Expand Collapse

Yes indeed... it would appear so!

10. lyndon123

lyndon123
    Expand Collapse

I have had the game since mid-2015. I got it just before I belive the 0.4.0.6 update -the one that made vehicles invisible. I then got a refund for the game (unwillingly-my mother forced me too sorry devs)

I then repurchased the game just after the update which added the pessima and I paid £17.95 for the game I think or thereabouts

the number of hours I have played this game and the amount of enjoyment I have had is amazing. the game paid for itself after about 2 weeks aha.

I too would like to thank the DEVs for making a wonderful game - this game got me through high school lol - anyway, you guys are legends. cheers

11. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

I never knew $20 would get me this. This beautiful masterpiece, a game nobody has done before(excluding rigs of rods but they were made by the same people). Ever since the first version in 2013, the game has increased quality so much, that it’s my new favorite. Heck, I was even considering to make a birthday cake for beam(I didn’t have the time or the cake :/). But the devs get my sincere respect, and I’m looking forward to future updates.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

I always love seeing threads like this... honestly, I always feel like the devs are under appreciated. A lot of people don't really realize that while the game is around (what... 8 years old? I joined in 2012, so lets go with that) 8 years old... the work that has gone into understanding and perfecting this game... the physics behind it... has gone WAY further back than that.

These guys have literally hundreds of thousands of hours that went into development of this physics engine (all unpaid mind you) before the thought of making this game had ever even crossed their minds. They dumped thousands of hours into Rigs of Rods over the years either in development of the physics engine, development of the mods and the process behind making quality/realistic game assets, tons of time in research and tossing ideas about... and literally laying down ground breaking research to solve issues that literally no one had even though of as being problems to solve before.

A great example... you know how vehicles in Beam can sink into mud? Estama literally laid the groundwork for that back in the RoR days. Heck, I remember even participating in the discussion (granted, back then I was probably more of a nuance than a help... but what was I gonna do... I was like... 15 I think? And stupid... so very stupid... I am so sorry) Everyone just takes that for granted, but the basis for how that system works was laid out YEARS before this game was even conceived... unpaid... and unrecognized.

Gabester honed his skills for YEARS making mods for RoR. His mods were always top notch when he joined.... but if you compared some of his first, early mods, to the quality the dude can put out now... there is almost no comparison. But he laid out the mental groundwork for what had to be done to make a quality vehicle. How should I organize these things to work, what values work best, what geometry's should I consider to make things work the way they should. All a staggering amount of work that was done... in his spare time.

And Tdev... heck... I think the dude is the one who ended up actually "making" the RoR forums back in 2007 when it stopped just being updated on the blog. That was right around when the first few mods started to hit the scene and things really started to take off. But he was around, helping build the engine, which would eventually lay the groundwork for Beam... all the way back then... again... as a hobby.

Honestly, there are probably more stories like this in the team... but I don't want this post to be 2 pages itself, so I'm gonna stop there.

So many people just don't realize this... sure the game has been out for roughly 8 years now... but man oh man has the groundwork for it been being laid out SO MUCH LONGER than that.

To add to Nadeox1's points... you also have to consider the time invested into a vehicle. Sure, now adays Beam has a vehicle "team" that all works together (probably?) to help create one of their magnificent vehicles... but how many hours does it take, and what does that cost?

Well... I have now been working with Sithhy to create the B1 for nearly 3 years now... I have a very busy schedule, so it shouldn't have taken that long, but its whatever... my point is, I downloaded blender for Steam... pretty much right when I started working on it with him... maybe a bit after. I have literally, exclusively, only used it on the B1 project and always have it open while I am developing for the B1. So it, oddly enough, acts almost like a timer for the amount of time I have put into making that mod.

Currently.... as of today... I have 985 hours in Blender on Steam. That sounds like an insane number... and you think to yourself no way that is real... I bet that the Beam team could bang out a vehicle in a month! Well... with what I count as 7 people that have vehicle something in their title, you're probably right. lets say the team of 7 works on this vehicle for a month... 5 days a week... for 8 hours a day. I am going to use August as thats where we are now, and it seems to have almost a perfect number of days for the 4 weeks... so we will use that.

7 members * 4 weeks * 5 days * 8 hours = 1,120 hours... on one vehicle. I would also like to point out that this doesn't count any of the sound guys who may or may not have to come up with new engine sounds for this vehicle or other sounds, any of the programers who may have to come up with more features to get the vehicles to work the way they want in game... nope... none of that... this is just to make a vehicle... just one. And I only gave them a month to do it in too... they might even need more time to get it as good as they want it.

So what.... so 7 guys put in some effort to make a car... so what?

How much do you think that one vehicle cost the team to make?

The average 3D modelers pay (in America at least) is roughly $49,605 per year... I am going to round that to 45k just because its easier to do the math... and now we are under paying the dev team a bit. There are roughly 261 working days in a year which at 8 hour days brings us to roughly $21 an hour.... again... dunno any of you guy's pay... but these are averages...

So we take that 1,120 hours of vehicle dev time and multiply it by $21 an hour and we get...

$23,520

Yep... that is a MASSIVE investment... and remember... I severally undershot a lot of these numbers.... I am sure it is much higher than this...

So next time your complaining about getting something FOR FREE think about the monetary investment that the Team just put into that... never mind the hours... for your 1 time charge of $25.

I don't even want to try to figure out how much a map must cost...

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. Gabriel Pereira Saideles

Gabriel Pereira Saideles
    Expand Collapse

English is not my main language, so I will give my best to try to "transcribe" my gratitude that I have for this game. I play BeamNG (or BeamerNG as I usually call him) since 2013, If I'm not mistaken, and even when I only had a Celeron notebook that ran the game at like, 13FPS, this was the most fun game that I ever play until today, I'm super grateful of everything you guys accomplished, thanks for all the effort you guys put in this game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice