Unsolved Rotational equivelent of "nodeOffset"

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by aljowen, Jul 21, 2019.

1. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

"nodeOffset" allows for translation of components, is there a method of translating the angle of the component too?

2. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

rotation

• Like Like x 1
  3. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I have tried both "rotation" and "rotationOffset", neither seem to do anything.

"rot" seems to make the game hard crash.

4. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

don't know the exact formatting, but here's a rotation stolen from a licenseplate
    "rot":{"x":0, "y":0, "z":0},

5. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

That is to rotate a flexybody, it doesn't seem to work on components afaik?

6. Nicelittle

Nicelittle
    Expand Collapse

Hang on, what are you trying to do?
    That would make this a lot easier to answer.

7. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I was trying to find if there was a better alternative for adjusting toe and camber for cars in BeamNG.

While "beamPrecompression" does work, it isn't ideal, since beams are generally left in tension against each other. In theory, increased tension in a jbeam object results in greater instability and greater vibrations. In practice, I only observed any effect at more extreme settings.
    So I was looking into moving the nodes via the variables directly, and then offset the wheels position+rotation to match. However, to my knowledge I don't think that is possible without affecting the axis that the wheel model rotates around.

I have now 'fixed' the issue by using "beamPrecompression" on a wider selection of the cars beams so that for each beam of increased length, any directly opposing beam gets shortened. But obviously it would be complex to account for length changes perfectly like that (would likely need to add Pythagoras equations into jbeam code) . So I have taken a somewhat approximate approach to this. Its not perfect, but its good enough that the issue is mitigated.

#7 aljowen, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice